R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-29-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default The poor man's racing thread

I need to lower the cost of my racing habit so my boy and I can keep racing, it's eating me alive.
Tires, motors, and everything else is killing me.
Breaking parts really doesn't count, unless you know of some durability improving tricks.

I race stock electric truck, and I do eat a lot of ramen.
If you have any ideas, let's post them. I'm sure we could all benifit

Some ideas that I'm thinking over are;
Running a 19t instead of 27t for practice, built for longevity, not speed, to save on motor rebuilding costs. (I don't quite know how)
Practicing with harder compound rear tires, though that may require a setup change which is a problem.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nay0k

When you're done with an old set of tires, dump them in acetone and let them sit for a while so the adhesive will wear off and you can re-use the rims.
Nay0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:54 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You can also bake tires off and reuse the rims and tires if the only thing wrong in the foams. To make the foams last as long as the tires I use Tinity bomb one foams and use double sided carpet tape and stick them to the rims. I then turn the tire inside out and fold it over the wheel (with foams attached) and glue it up. I also vent the wheels not tires and I am very careful when cleaning my tires not to get any water in the vent holes. I have never had the foams breakdown before the tire is toast by using this method.

Thanks to Lateralis for the above tip.
DRKWNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:55 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Don't race as often??

Naw, I am just kidding. I am in the same boat as you. I have 3 vehicles to buy parts for and maintain. I have all kinds of money wrapped up in tools, spare parts, batteries, battery bars, stickers, chargers, power supplies, dischargers, radio equipment, and servos.

I have a B4, T4 and an RC10 GT. Try keeping tires, bearings, spare parts and custom painted bodies on these. It adds up pretty quick!

But, at least I own everything and didn't charge anything on a credit card.

I fix computers on the side, and that helps fund my addiction

Good luck!!
NOT a member of Team Terribles!
d4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

John, great Idea with the motor. Would be better of running an Orion V2 type endbell for stock/19t practice, it will cut down on tires costs alot. As for tires, try buying some used, for practice, maybe racing if they are still in good shape. The "pro" and even fast sportsman guys will be willing to ditch tires with a couple of runs on them for ALOT less than a set of brand new tires would cost. Another thing is to spend smarter, little things like getting 3 cans of motor spray at once (the deal), instead of one at a time. Or maybe "plastic" parts instead of graphite, maybe some used parts from a pro. They put new parts on sometimes even if stuff is not broken. There are lots of small things to do, but the most important is to maintain everything the best you can, and it will last much longer, especially battery and motor maintnence. If you have any questions, just ask, this is Frank Root and I race at socal.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #6
Tech Elite

As for the 19t like as just posted you can use the Orion V2 style or also the Checkpoint Money. Both of those motors get really good life out of brushes.

Serpent America
Lunsford Racing
RCBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 01:59 PM   #7
j97
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

look out for the v2 endbell on a stock motor i have one for epic endbells and im not happy with it works good for a short time then it just seeems to drop off. Tried cutting comm same effect.I have also cleaned the brush's even changed them same thing.As for cheap i have been buying used motors off of e bay and cutting the comm for practice motors 10 motors for $50.00 seems like alot but been practicing all season so far!
j97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:14 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by j97
look out for the v2 endbell on a stock motor i have one for epic endbells and im not happy with it works good for a short time then it just seeems to drop off. Tried cutting comm same effect.I have also cleaned the brush's even changed them same thing.
You normally have to drop one or two teeth on the pinion or they fade and over heat because the V2 endbells don't have as much torque. That may have been your problem.

Serpent America
Lunsford Racing
RCBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:41 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Just put some bearings in a stock motor for practice, Oh..Tuna is really good on the "shrimp" Ramen..
Old 12-29-2006, 03:49 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Just a couple of ideas:
1. Buy brake cleaner (on sale of course) in place of motor spray.
2. If the motor brushes are not burnt/discolored, keep using them until they are, no need to change them with every comm cut.
3. Consider going Brushless if your track will allow the Novak 13.5 in stock class - much more cost effective in the long run verse brushed motors.
4. It is important to support your local shop/track - but sometimes you might find some real bargains here on the RCtech for sale thread.
5. Keep your car clean and well maintained - there will be less wear and tear on it and its parts.
6. Flip the slipper pads once one side is wore out, the other side will be nearly new.
7. Flip the spur gear to get more life out of it.
CNC Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:43 PM   #11
j97
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

thanks rcblue ill give that a try i run a short high bite track with one short straight away.
j97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:14 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to annie_himself

What about aspiring 1/8 buggy racers?
annie_himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:28 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself
Spend more up front it will cost you less later. Maintenance cleaning and oiling saves lots of $$$.
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:18 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default I have some tips

Here's one I learned the hard way.
Invest in titanium ball studs for the rear camber links, and do put large washers under them. Unless you like replacing shock towers.

Another Shock tower tip is to use locknuts against the tower on a (losi truck)
so it goes, Cap screw, tower, locknut, bushing/shock, locknut. When that screw wiggles it will really wear the tower.

schmelme is dead on.
Spend more up front it will cost you less later. Maintenance cleaning and oiling saves lots of $$$.

For example Lunsford turnbuckles. spend it once and your set.

Thanks for posting everyone. I look forward to more.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:16 PM   #15
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself
Up front and honest..If your on a budget 1/8 scale racing is not really for you, It does cost cubic bucks to race competitively, I guess it depends on what type of track and how often you tear stuff up, I know that some of the lower end buggies are cheap but they don't hold up that well, 1/10 scale off road is just about the cheapest way to race.