Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mamba brushless?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:28 AM
Tech Regular

Default Mamba brushless?

I tried a search. couldn't find what I was looking for. I want to go brushless in my 4wd. I've been waiting for the LRP to come back in stock. But, I've been reading about the poor service and how long it takes to get anything fixed. I'm starting to wonder if this is a good choice. I noticed a couple of guys at the track have the mamba setups in there cars. My track goes buy roar rules, but they aren't saying anything about the senserless brushless motors. How is the mamba setups working for you guys? I understand that if I was going with the LRP setup, I would want a 6.5 motor for my 4wd. What would be the mamba motor I would need for that same power? I need feedback from any of you guys on this mamba setup that you can share. And will it fit in a xx4?(ie. is the motor can longer than a LRP 6.5)
Thanks
Old 04-22-2007, 01:14 AM
Tech Regular

Castle Creations has great customer service. My brother has the MM 5700 and the MM 7700 in his XXX-T and his BK2. They replaced his ESC under warranty and it didn't fix his problem so they swapped motors with him as well. He basically got a whole new setup.

I may be wrong, but I thought the Mamba wasn't ROAR leagal? I have a XX4 with a Novak Velociti 5.5R in it. Its plenty fast and you would honestly be happy with a 6.5. I'm just a power junky so....
Old 04-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Tech Regular

I was just looking at roar rules. I was told that they weren't leagal. But as I read the rules, they are. I don't know why I was told they weren't. I don't like the size of the speed control though. (size of a friggin brick!)

Last edited by Dougg; 04-22-2007 at 01:59 AM.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Mamba is considered an outlaw motor and will not be allowed in ROAR sanctioned events.
As for its size, its not that much bigger than a Sphere.
Compared to the Quantum line, yes they look big.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Tech Regular

Why is it an "outlaw" motor?
Old 04-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 131 (100%+)

because they dont sponsor enough events
Old 04-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Someone correct me if this is wrong but, from what I have read, the guys at Castle Creations are in the works for getting the motors ROAR appoved. Until then the speedo can be used with a brushed motor for any sanctioned event.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

the 7700 is wayyyyy to much motor for our track. My cars are NEVER used on anything but a race track. And it would be very hard on my drive train. I don't run a oneway,(clicker is locked up). I go deeper in to the corners than anybody at the track. When I hit the brakes, the rear wheels almost come off the ground. So both ends of my drive train is abused. A guy at a hobby store told me that the mamba doesn't like nimh batteries. He did confess that they were using the cheep stick packs. All of my batterys are 1.24's. That should be closer to lipo's, maybe the lower voltge is the problem. Jump junkie told me that he has the 5700 with 30% pulled out of it. He is pulling wheelies half way down the straits.(on 2wd) I've seen it! I now run a 11x1 in my xx4. Accually I have the smallest motor of all the 4wd guys. but I seem to have more power than most of them. I have a motor tuner that gets it to act like a 8 turn. So I think the 6900 is the way for me. Thanks for the input from you guys.

Last edited by Dougg; 04-23-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i have the mamba max 7700 in my bj4 and love the power also if the track is too small you can detune the system , also customer service is amazing and they will do anything they can to help you

scott
Old 04-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Tech Regular

Question, Does a brushless motor have a linier power curve? If not, then detuning it would not be benificial. If it doesnt have one, then I can see going with the 7700. You take out the adjustment points when you bring the endpoints down. My true passion for the past 12 years is helicopters. When I 'm setting up servos, i want to max out the atv's (epa). Then I will move the ball as close to center on the horn as I can get, wile I still get the throw I want at the swash plate (part that makes the heli go left, right, forward, back) This way I can get the best "feel" for what the heli is doing. The motor should be the same as that. I ramble on, I know..