Search

Truggy advice tyres ballooning?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Truggy advice tyres ballooning?

I have been racing my hpi hellfire ss truggy and have been struggling with the front tyres ballooning up quite alot, I am using proline max mulcher tyres with the standard inserts as this is the combination most people use where i race. I also run a 28 engine which i have since found out a 21 would probably be better as you cant use hardly any of the power at the track i race at in the uk.
So any advice would be much appreciated
Old 12-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Use thicker centre diff oil, something like 10000wt or higher. Thicker diff oil in the front will help as well, try 7000wt mabye.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Bar
Tech Addict

I currently have 7000 in the front and rear and 15,000 in the center. The track i race on is astroturf which is generally quite flat in most places and has about 6 jumps in total. Where i notice it the most is on the double where the front tyres balloon up making it difficult to control over the jump, usually landing on its back end. It is also quite bad coming on to the main straight where there is a little jump then when i apply the power they balloon badly mostly on the front, i can actually wheely down it, which i did on the last lap of one of my races.

Last edited by Bar; 12-20-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:48 PM
Bar
Tech Addict

I had a few ideas which was to input some steering curve into the radio and change the clutch bell from its standard 13t to a 14 or 15 tooth.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Tech Regular

Belt 'Em

Turn your tires inside out. Put a piece of fabric or filament tape on the "cord" (the inside of the tire which is now exposed). Put some glue along the edges. Then turn the tires right side out. Check and make sure the tape or cloth is still attached to the tire. Then mount them on rims with foam inserts.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The newer pro line tires have tried to address this problem by adding more ribs to the inside of the tire, What volracer has suggested will work, Part of the problem is the stock pro-line foam breaks down in one or two runs, Ofna makes a molded foam insert that works really good. Why are you running max mulcher tires? Here in the states AstroTurf is plastic, If that's what your running on wouldn't a smaller pin work better? well anyways GRP also makes an exultant tire for the Hellfire (they do have the right off set) it has a molded foam insert also. One other thing I would try is going a bit heaver on the center diff, 20,000 or 30,000. If you put a 14 on it should take some of the abruptness out of the H fire as well.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:16 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by xxxkat
The newer pro line tires have tried to address this problem by adding more ribs to the inside of the tire, What volracer has suggested will work, Part of the problem is the stock pro-line foam breaks down in one or two runs, Ofna makes a molded foam insert that works really good. Why are you running max mulcher tires? Here in the states AstroTurf is plastic, If that's what your running on wouldn't a smaller pin work better? well anyways GRP also makes an exultant tire for the Hellfire (they do have the right off set) it has a molded foam insert also. One other thing I would try is going a bit heaver on the center diff, 20,000 or 30,000. If you put a 14 on it should take some of the abruptness out of the H fire as well.
Yeah thanks will try the diff oil at first both front and center thicker and will try different inserts when i have some money for some new tyres. Its winter here so the astroturf doesn't really dry out so its very slippy, the mulchers seem to be the only thing that work. Do you have a link to the ofna molded foams that would be very helpful