R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Part # asc7678 is a complete diff. kit. If the spur gear wobbles it is bad. The tranny case definately can get warped, as well as the motor plate. Another consideration is the motor itself. The output shaft is the most stressed part on the car. The top shaft of the gearbox is rarely bent, as it is actually a low stress point. It is surrounded by forgiving devices. Not only do you have the diff. on one end and slipper on the other, but you have lots of plastic that will sacrifice themselves for that shaft.
Throw away those bushings. Keep the diff. tight. And don't overtighten the slipper. Take it apart and put it back together, and get to know it.
mfishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:49 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfishel
and get to know it.
Be one with the transmission, Grasshopper.
chicagokenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:11 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Take the slipper off with the wheels still on and rotate the wheels and look at the shaft to see if it is bent. If it is not then put on the first slipper plate and have the right side of the truck up in the air and spin the wheels see if it still wobbles. Keep adding parts until it is all together. The pads are a little difficult to get to stay in the hex on the tranny side while assembling it. A quick check would be to assemble the slipper without the slipper pads to see if the gear still wobbles. If it does I would question if the slipper pads aren't moving on you while assembly. Good luck it is probably something simple.
plumslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:03 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

I know you said that the slipper pads were secure in the spur gear, but sometimes when you go to put the spur on, part of the pad will slip out of the gear as you are putting it on. Try putting it together again, and then look to make sure that you can't see the edge of the pad sticking out after it is assembled. That is the only time I have had my spur wobble.
Kraig Krueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:10 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice

ok guys this is what i did, i took of the slipper pads and hub i reseated them perfectly, it gave me the same thing, then i took the slipper pads off and with only one hub on the top shaft, i was spinning the wheels and i can see only that one hub was wobbleing, that proves to me that the slipper pads and spur dont have nothing to do with the problem, then i took the hub off and i connected a drill directly to the top shaft and i was spinning it and the drill was trying to wobble in some way, so that tells me there is something causing this to wobble. here is everything eliminated from the problem, it cant be the ideler gear because i took it off it made no differance, cant be the bearings because i switched them around and it made no differance, it cant be the diff because nothing was spinning that when i took the idler gear off, it cant be the little spacer on the top shaft because i took that off and it still gave me a wobble, it also cant be the motor plate because i turned the tranny with a drill and there was no motor plate on it and it gave me the same wobble, and it cant be the slipper pads or the spur, so the only thing left is the case, i was going to buy the diff rebuild kit but that has nothing to do with the gears. also by the way my tranny used to be normal with no noise until this arrised so i used to have a normal working tranny it was not like this when i bought it. i might just go buy a tranny case see if that will solve it. thanks again guys
Ae13291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:08 PM   #21
Tech Legend

Still say your top shaft is bent ....

Put the gear case together just with top shaft, without the idler gear and slipper plates, spur gear and then spin ...

or

assemble tranny with motor and pinion then rotate the spur gear ..
If you have a tight mesh on one part of spur gear and a losse mesh on the other part, you have a bent shaft...

Mishel,

Its a easy part to bend ...
all you have to do is land hard on the motor after a jump..
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:25 AM   #22
Tech Apprentice

ya man i already replaced the top shaft with the same resalts, i also do alot of jumps but i dont know what this wobble is i know it cant be the top shaft now since it is replaced. thanks for info
Old 12-18-2006, 12:27 AM   #23
Tech Apprentice

i also did what you said by taking out the idler gear and i was spinning the top shaft with a drill and it still gave me the same resalts, a wobble.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:16 AM   #24
Tech Legend

Get another top shaft and install it , sounds like the new one is bent....

Not telling you to buy another , your shop should allow you to try and see without having to purchase it....

you don`t need a drill to spin , just spin with your hand ...

but

The gear mesh thing I suggested will be easier to spot the defect....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:26 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Tear it *completely* apart!!
NOT a member of Team Terribles!
d4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:03 PM   #26
Suspended

well then the only thing i point it to now is the bearings or the bushings for the top shaft. a new one will not be bent. check the tranny case that holds the bearing/bushing for the backside of the top shaft. replace it along with the spacer and bearing/bushing on the side that shaft comes out on also. and at this point i would also replace the tranny case as well i know that you have spent alot in money on this to fix it, but its all that is left. i hope this will help you out.

for the rest who have looked in on this, it is important to stay on top of your tranny's (no not the cross dressers) and maintain them. or this will be the results no matter if your bashing or racing they can't run forever with out being maintained.
wingnutracing28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:51 PM   #27
Tech Apprentice

thanks for the info wingnutracing i swithched the bearings aroung in the case with other bearings but that did not make a differance, and i tried it with no spacer still the same thing, i will probly go with getting the case now, a few people have been telling me to get it and + u also told me i guess i will go buy that and give it a try its the only thing left. thanks again happy holidays to all
Old 12-19-2006, 01:25 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Let us know how the new case works out.