R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #16
EG1
Tech Regular

I always heat cycle new engines by preheating them w/ a hair-dryer, getting them tuned so they run rich but cleanly above or at 200F for 3-5 minute cycles. I don't tune for performance until the gallon mark and I usually get many gallons.

I have some of those odonnell 77 plugs but the Rossi plugs I have are C6t's. I'll just buy a bunch more so I have the complete range.
EG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #17
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jfc_tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf24
i ran the D21T, my only complaint was the front bearings are rather cheap, I never had the ball cup pop off either, maybe your ball end is worn out? I'm not saying they arn't smaller, but when i used newer ball ends it has never come off, also for the turbo I would use a medium plug, a couple guys were running hot plugs, and they had pre-ignition problems, when they switched to the medium it worked alot better, and I've always used OS turbo plugs and they work perfect, never had a problem with them of any kind,

I got 3-4 gallons on mine before it needed a new piston & sleeve, but I didn't do any break in really, I ran half a tank slow, and then I was doing High speed runs down my driveway, so that would have shortened the life span by alot,
ok , pls visit this thread, exclusive nitro engine zone for sts , read all the post especially by afm.. regarding temperature and why use Novarossi plug... and why i use hot plug.

as u can see...after u read all those, the outside temperature determine the plug. You from canada.. i just assume you have a colder temperature than mine. im using HOT turbo long plug because it suits my outside temperature. and does not cause leaking... as to other plug..like OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sook
Thanks AFM.
All I know is that when I used the os plug in the sts engines, it leaked. I would have to imagine that the conical tip did not match or seat well in the head of the sts engines. It leaked just as rushdude described. I even tighted it down and eventually it leaked again causing tuning issues and higher temps. I even tried the Rossi Ultra plug, which was a short body plug and it continued to do the same thing as the os plug. Once I switched over to the Novarossi long bodied plug, it sealed nicely and no more issues. Unexplainable, except that the seat of the conical shape fit better than other plugs and had a complete seal.
sook from texas[from avatar].
Quote:
Yes, because Novarossi glow plugs have a slightly different taper on the cone end than other brands, and STS engines are compaltible with Novarossi design of head. All other brands, Os, Picco, Mega,Rossi, will have leaking problems.
As I stated before, long or short body Novarossi Turbo glow plugs have same number of threads an cone shape, i'ts matter of tuning option according to weather conditions.

AFM
my conclusion, of coz..it all depends where you gonna use your sts engine. eventhough the engine were made in Taiwan with colder temperature than my country... the tuning character is almost the same..... thats the funny part. i always end up with HSN 2T and LSN 4-5T(as dino adviced!). this engine really loves richer LSN. im talking 21B. Other people with other engine background, will give comment that sts is tuned too lean... due to the 2T.. as compares to others usually in the range of 3T-5T HSN. ignore them. remember, which is i believe till now... richer carb easy to start... even on a long hard main.

Last edited by jfc_tech; 01-05-2007 at 07:36 PM.
jfc_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You should never tune your motor by what someone else says unless they run on the same track with the same motor/pipe and the same car. Every motor made is different so the tune will be different, I've been running the .21t for some time now using a os p3 plug and I have never had it leak. If you plugs leaking it's not tight enough.
moparsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:32 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparsrule
You should never tune your motor by what someone else says unless they run on the same track with the same motor/pipe and the same car. Every motor made is different so the tune will be different, I've been running the .21t for some time now using a os p3 plug and I have never had it leak. If you plugs leaking it's not tight enough.
mine leak when using os p3..a bit not much..but still leaking. solved when using the c5Tc novarossi long turbo plug. and believe me, its tightened already.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:43 AM   #20
EG1
Tech Regular

What nitro % are you guys running? I plan on using a quality 25% blend.
EG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:57 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Hot stuff 25% and 30%, so far. my current 21B shims tuned for 30% race mode. out of the box.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:58 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have a STS motor and had a few issues, front bearing and glow plug leaked. I changed the bearings, head, airsealed everything and it really runs good now. I've had lots different motor brands and IMO there are always a couple bad one's in every batch. It's a great motor and you can't beat the price.
DRKWNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:24 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKWNG
I have a STS motor and had a few issues, front bearing and glow plug leaked. I changed the bearings, head, airsealed everything and it really runs good now. I've had lots different motor brands and IMO there are always a couple bad one's in every batch. It's a great motor and you can't beat the price.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:58 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

What pipes have you guys been running with these engines? Does there seem to be any that these engines really like? How is the STS pipe?
porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:09 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

If the track were you run its short and twisty the best combination for sure its the STS Pipe itself (www.racernine.com for directions) ... if you race and have to use just legal pipes, JP1 for short and technical tracks and JP2 for high speed and more open ones ... another alternative and cheaper are the Thunder Tiger 3 chamber pipes (short and long ones, check www.amainhobbies.com) ...

This week i just left racernine.com as engine sponsor, but i just have good words about them, their engines and support ... STS its a good brand for sure, and gave me just happiness during the one full year i raced with them ...

If you have any question just post here and if i can help you i will answer your questions ...

cya,

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Thanks that was exactly what I was looking for!

I have been thinking about sending a resume to RACERNINE for a little while now, but I have been trying to get some good coments about STS engines before doing so.

Thanks again
porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:18 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabushi

This week i just left racernine.com as engine sponsor, but i just have good words about them, their engines and support ... STS its a good brand for sure, and gave me just happiness during the one full year i raced with them ...

cya,
going to MEGA engine now?
Old 01-13-2007, 07:33 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc_tech
going to MEGA engine now?

Yes JCF_TECH, heheheh ... i think its a step up ... Serpent/Mega works really hard on their pilots on asphalt and their engines are great on onroad racing (1/10 and 1/8) and their offroad line its really great but just less known ...

And as i said, just great words about racernine, Ryan and Glen are excelent people and their STS line of engines are very very good ...

cya !!

Old 01-13-2007, 07:35 PM   #29
Tech Champion

its understandable...
i just wish u all the best with yer new attachment. hopefully more podium finish.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:49 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc_tech
its understandable...
i just wish u all the best with yer new attachment. hopefully more podium finish.

Hopefully !!, thanks a lot man !!