R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-14-2006, 11:38 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)
Default Robitronic Mantis

Anyone have any opinions/news/pics on this Truggy?
dag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Have you check their site, they have Information on it there.

Also there is an image here from an Italian hobby show

Hope this helps.
RedRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:56 PM   #3
Tech Master

Thanks REDRC, I have checked the web site, just wanted some first hand info from someone who owns one. Maybe still a little to new .
Old 12-14-2006, 09:01 PM   #4
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

I checked it out at the hobby show and they let me wrench on to look at the diffs and to check it out . The trug looks well built and they said Paul Coleman had his hand in the design and you can tell . I ran one that a guy has and it feels good . The only thing I`d change is the radio and servos . I like the tuning options it comes with , reminds me of my H8 . Axial/Robitronic has done their homework and now has a bunch of tires and rims coming out . Have beadlocks for trugs and mt also with beadlocks coming for 1/8 soon . I am very impressed for how this company has grown especially for the short time they have been out . I`ve had a Mayhem ST and LSP , I think the Mantis will be a better ride with different electronics .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:14 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

I have been looking for info on the Mantis as well, not much out there besides there web site and the current Jan. 2007. Radio Controlled Car Actioin. I think. I am looking for a truggy and I may get a Mantis. Looks well constructed. My local hobby shop is getting one in next week. I will look at it first hand.
xcsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:20 PM   #6
Tech Master

My LHS has one on display and I kind of like it, but I'm hesitant because I not sure how parts availability will be. I agree on the radio/servo comment defiantly replace ASAP. Thanks for the info guys keep it coming .
Old 12-15-2006, 06:27 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag32
My LHS has one on display and I kind of like it, but I'm hesitant because I not sure how parts availability will be. I agree on the radio/servo comment defiantly replace ASAP. Thanks for the info guys keep it coming .

As of right now you can get parts from Tower and sure your LHS can get them as they have the trug .
Old 12-15-2006, 08:30 AM   #8
Tech Regular

for the price from $429 thru $469 it is a very nice trug. I have seen it and it is quality built. has allen screws throughout, hd control rods as opposed to wire control rods, axial .28 engine. very cool looking chopped trug body. and I agree the servos are weak.

I've considered the Mantis also, my LHS has had them since early Nov. and have been reserving one for me.

I am concerned that it is a new Trug with no real history of any issues such as breakage or defects established yet. I have heard ( on another cite ,3rd hand that someone had spiders losen after a few runs.) However, this is merely heresay. Anything produced by man can and will break. I think that it will be a good race and play truck. parts are available as are many nice updates such carbon upper trays, lightened towers, springs etc.

Let me think on this. If only my LHS would come down on the price just a little...

Last edited by nagatahawk; 12-15-2006 at 08:41 AM.
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:34 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Just like any other RTR you need to go through and check all the screws . I would change out the radio and servos when you get it , if you plan on racing it .
Old 01-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This truggy handles realy well out of the box!!! i only set the ride hight, droop, caster, brakes, went over the screws & i think thats it.

But, if you're gonna race this you best do the following;

1 - get better servos(the ones that come with it i think would only be good for 1/10).
2 - change the servo horns to a different manufacturer - something that is stronger in the molding or even metal.
3 - change the engine & pipe, i think the standard one is alright for bashing but for racing i'd go with something else.
4 - change the clutch set up, say alloy shoes with either 1.0 or 1.1 springs(Mugens or something similar).
5 - change the tires & foams.
6 - change the plastic tie rod ends to something stronger that won't strip so easily.
7 - if you can find another manufacture that has the exact same shock shaft, but is going to be stronger then change them(i haven't found one yet, but they break way too easily ).
8 - get a few parts that you think will break(they're fairly in-expensive).

Once the above has been done it only takes some fine tuning from track to track & thats about it. Its a shame that the tie rod ends, servo horns & shock shafts are its weak points, but i do like the way this truggy handles. i'll be looking out for the pro version too. As i hope it'll be stronger. i realy like that the Mantis has a very low centre of gravity, which probably explains its nice handling, & the shape of the body is sick!!! It'd be nice if they sold it for say $100 less with a clear body. I haven't messed around with the diffs yet, but i think i'm gonna try 7k,10,3k(fr,cnt,bk), or 10k,20k,3k(maybe5k for back). i don't know what came in the diffs or shocks, but i did get to rebuilding the shocks & i used 60wt in the front & 50wt in the rear, this was for a realy large open track with big jumps & a few technical bits. This setup seemed to fell fairly neutral to me.

So does anyone else race this truggy? if so post your setups & tips here.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:28 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

i got mine about 2-3 weeks ago. first thing is go over every screw and add locktite as needed(we lost an ackerman screw).the manual say's the diffs are 15k center and 7k front and back. i redid my diffs and shocks(manual doesn't say what they are) i went with 20k center and 7k front and 3k rear.in the shocks i went with 60 front and 50 rear. it comes with the upgraded racing steering setup. but you have to install it. so far the only weak point's i've seen is upper arm's where the turnbuckle goes in it needs to be threaded in farther(we stripped one out),radio,servo's,servo horn's and race tires. so far for the money in my opinion it can't be beat.

p.s. they are not good for snow.the body is too snug and just packs in the snow.

Last edited by fourwheels0; 02-08-2010 at 08:25 AM.
fourwheels0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well i can't afford to run my Mantis & other cars , so i gotta sell it...double , here's a link;

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=145999

pictures have just been added too(they're further on down on the 1st page)
Old 02-05-2007, 06:12 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

anybody else out there have one? let's see it.

Last edited by fourwheels0; 02-08-2010 at 08:25 AM.
fourwheels0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:08 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Robitronics looks like a great contender. When their buggy came out I thought plastic shocks? Yet rave reviews. Then I read about the Mantis in the recent RCCA magazine. The truck caught my eye and it looked like a CEN Genesis merged with Sportwerks Mayhem/Mayhem ST. Yet again, rave reviews.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:15 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Robitronic is an Austrian company correct?
performula is offline   Reply With Quote