Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Assoc. T4 or Traaxas Hustler

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Assoc. T4 or Traaxas Hustler

I'm looking at these for my 14 year old son's first real RC car. There is a price difference between the two, but I'd to take the price out of the equation. If someone were to give you one of these, which would you choose?
Old 12-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

U mean Traxxas Rustler?

If someone were giving me one, id take the T4. Anyday. Lighter, faster, better handling, easier to upgrade etc etc etc.

Rustler a good truck, but a bit limited. Prob stronger than a T4, but difference would be marginal. T4 is race bred
Old 12-14-2006, 05:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah, the Rustler is what I meant. I am leaning toward the T4. My son first wanted a nitro car but I've been told repeatedly that maintaining it is frustrating. I'd rather he spend his time running it than spending my time getting it to run. We have two hobby shops nearby and one sells the Rustler while the other said the T4 would be a pretty good first car.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I would also put the Losi XXX-T brushless RTR into mind too. It has a brushless setup so it's like zero matience, a metal gear servo so it won't strip out, and a very good radio system, which the T4 has none of these. It may cost more initially but you'll save a lot in the longrun.

my 2 cents.

David
Old 12-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

i agree, while i am an associated fan, i have a factory team t4 myself, looking for a great car to learn with, the xxxt brushless rtr is where it is at.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN4044

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN1898

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSA0096
Old 12-14-2006, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

lol just read over the other posts, the losi guy (Bit_Rusty) is saying t4, while the ae guy (Darkshinobi) is saying bl xxxt......

GO FIGURE.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I wouldn't suggest the vision peak.... I would say find an LRP pulsar cheap off here or Ebay with powersupply and buy and integy discharger to keep your packs in tiptop shape.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Tech Regular

i was just suggesting lower end stuff, since its his sons first "real" rc i highly doubt they are planning on going out and racing at anything more then the club level.

heck i have used my integy 16x3v2.5 for so long charging my batteries for club level, just picked up an older 16x9 off ebay, so the 16x3v2.5 needs to go, no dc connector, so if he wanted a great charger that also has a discharge and cycle function for NiMHs....check it out here if interested if looking to get items that are used...

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=140287
Old 12-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Tech Rookie

I don't recall seeing anything by Losi in the two closest hobby shops. I'm thinking it might be easier to get parts for the two models I've looked at. I see that Associated is just up the road in Costa Mesa.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:09 PM
Tech Regular

i would suggest a t4 then, the t4rs rtr is a pretty nice outta the box racer, just add the appropriate motor for the class you want to race (suggest stock)

get some good ib3800s (budget racer packs) heck im still using my orion 3300gp sp2s with good results (top 3 usually)
Old 12-15-2006, 02:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If it were me I would lean more towards the Assoc T4.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I would ask you'r hobby shop about the availability of the losi brushless kit and parts. If he can get associated parts I'm sure he can also get losi parts, and the brushless system is the way to go for maintenance free racing or bashing.
If he's just learning he'll probably want to play alot, and with the brushless he can just keep changing batteries and go. With the brushed motors he'll have to stop and let the motor and speed control cool after just a few minutes of playing. Usally kids dont like that.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

and what the heck if his local hobby shop doesnt support losi he can just order each part and wait a week , just kidding , if its just for play get the rustler , but if there is even a chance he might want to race get the t4 , ray