Losi Off-road!!!

Old 03-25-2002, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i was wondering what the 25degree front spindles would do for the xxx?
Old 03-25-2002, 09:49 AM
Tech Adept

Default modified 4wd fronts

Yeap you got to cut them and make them lower profile if you want to make them work good. Actually if I'm leaving the tread on them I usually only make them narrower. It only takes me about 30 min to narrow and mount a set. If the track is higher bite then you probably should make them lower profile.

Last edited by Jared Kirkwood; 03-25-2002 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-25-2002, 09:54 AM
Tech Adept

Default 25deg front spindles

yodace: I've not ran those in a long time. I believe remember it gave me more steering overall but made the car less stable and harder to drive. I used them alot on a very low speed, very very tight track. I'll check my notes tonight and see what I wrote down.
Old 03-28-2002, 07:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

What servos do you guys run in the trucks? Everyone around here run airtronics (cheap, as in cost) hi torque..
Old 03-29-2002, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I run the Hitec HS-945 in all of my off road. IT's got TONS of torque and you don't really need a digital for off road.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:14 AM
Tech Regular

I have to disagree with Big Dog. Even though I don't run digitals in offroad, (I am too cheap to upgrade from my 4 year old Airtronics 94157/158), if I was buying a new servo I would definitely consider one. The torgue and speed of digitals are not much more than a good coreless servo but where digitals have an advantage is holding power and centering ability. You will notice this a lot in truck. They have the ability to keep the wheels pointed the direction you want through the worst bumps without wavering.

I think a good servo is 10 times more important in offroad than onroad. in onroad you are generally not having to counter-steer and catch the car on the fly. I generally run my servo speed turned down in 1/12 and TC just for the fact that you can turn the steering too fast and the chassis can't keep up with it, causing the car to push. Onroad requires smooth deliberate response from a servo while off-road requires you to react quicker to upcoming bumps, jumps, etc. The primary thing you want in an onroad servo is good centering ability, while offroad you want speed and durability.

For truck, just make sure you get something with enough torque that it can steer the truck off of a pipe. Metal gears are also a must.

Preferences:

Air 94357 (speed)
Air 94358 (torgue)
Ait 94??? (new digital)
JR 8450 (not sure on the JR numbers)(speed)
JR 8550 (torque)
JR 4735/4750 (same servo, different generations **Buggy Only)
Old 03-30-2002, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Skip I run the Airt. 94755 digital for on-road. It's probably my favorite servo, but a little pricy- $115 I think.
Old 03-31-2002, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

skipgear,
Is there a shortage of parts of losi in the states. here in manila 1/2 of my parts are not comming, like 4wd front tires ifmar pin, ifmar stud, NXt brace, pinion gears, side belt for xx4. thanks
Old 03-31-2002, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

Not really, about the only parts that have been tight recently were 4wd front wheels and some of the NT parts. Both have just gotten back up to speed. The NT parts were tight because the batched a bunch up for PSP's (part's support package) for the NT RTR kits that went out.

There are currently no blank spots on our hobbyshop wall.
Old 04-01-2002, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

skipgear,
thanks for the info! maybe it just so happened thats when it comes to international orders, parts run-out hehehehe......
Old 04-02-2002, 07:36 AM
Tech Rookie

I would just like to say hats off to Losi. I purchased a XXX KE kit and had numerous missing pieces. Nothing major, just a pain. Some of the stuff I had (I have a XX "CR" and AE T3). I called Losi and complained. They got right back with me, had me give them the part numbers I were missing, and they are shipping everything out to me. I could not have asked for better service. The car looks awesome and well made. My son drives, so I can't wait for this Saturday for our season here to get started. I have been reading all the posts for info and I appreciate everbody who contributes. I have got a wealth of info and feel like the car is well prepared for the racing season. Thanks to all.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:07 PM
Tech Regular

Hi. The topic kinda died down, so I/m wondering if the xxx4 is still gonna happen or not. Anyone know? I wanna go back to 4wd this summer and I dont wanna get a xx4 just to see it get replaced by a xxx4. Thanks
Old 04-05-2002, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Yoshi- I may not be the best person to offer this advice (even though I did win the 4WD mod regoinals last year...lol), but in my opinion, the only persons who will see much of an advantage from the XX4 to the XXX4 (assuming both are really well tuned to the track) will be the ones who run off and leave the pack anyway. You know, the people who can qualify for the off-road Worlds race and stuff. I would say, until you can ran a 5 or 4 minute race flawlessly and be able to tell what and where you changed you line or the way you took the jumps etc by your laptimes, don't worry about getting the latest greatest kit.

On the other hand, if you just like new kits and can afford to upgrade constantly, then that's another story- cause you must make more cheese than me!!! LOL

Hope you didn't mind a little advice.... It's given with the best intentions.
Old 04-05-2002, 09:56 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the help BigDog, I see your point (at least I think I do....)

Well I realized I forgot to mention: if the xxx4 does come out after I buy a xx4, will Losi discontinue part support for the xx4? If they did, I'd eventually HAVE to get a xxx4 or simply not buy anything to fix the xx4.

I miss the xx4, especially since I recently found out my previous one had a defective chassis which is why I had belt nightmares. BUT I sold it before I found out
Old 04-05-2002, 10:02 AM
dw
Tech Adept

I think it is very unlikely that losi will introduce a 4wd car based on the xxxs transmission. Firstly there is little interest in 4wd off road now anyway but more importantly the xxxs transmission is totally unsuitaible for a buggy.

The diffs in the xxxs are huge. You have to keep the centre of the diffs at the same height as on current off road cars or the driveshafts will be operating at extreme angles and efficiency will be reduced as well as causing increased binding in the suspension under power/braking. If you keep the centre of the diffs at the same height as on the xx4 you have just lost a lot of ground clearance due to the bigger diffs.

The other problem is that I doubt that the transmission would handle the increased torque requirements of an offroad car. I have seen a couple of cases of the belt breaking in a touring car. Belt skipping under braking is also common.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.