R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-10-2006, 11:02 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
I Need off-road electric (buggy-like)

Hi guys!

I'm new to this stuff and I want to start with off-road electric buggy.

what would you suggest? Brand? and where to buy?

My budget is only Php5K.

Thank you and regards.
fraxzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:40 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Start at your local hobby shop. See what brands they carry and what kind of racing is popular in your area. You can also see what kind of money you will need to spend. The most popular electric buggies are the Associated RC10B4, Team Losi XXX-CR and the Kyosho Lazer ZX-5 or Losi XXX4.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:25 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Thanks!

I'm having a hard time looking for shop to buy.

Can anybody help? Im in muntinlupa city.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:36 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraxzi
Thanks!

I'm having a hard time looking for shop to buy.

Can anybody help? Im in muntinlupa city.
what country would that be in?
Losi XXX-MF2/CRC SC
B&T R/C - http://b-treman-rc.valp.net/btrchome.htm
dirtracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Losipartshouse.com has great prices on kits. My opinion is if your starting out, start with a truck, before you go into buggy. A truck will be easier to learn to drive and setup than a buggy. Drive a truck then your driving skills improve than move towards a buggy. Thats my 2 cents.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:44 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

dirtracer1: I'm sorry i didn't mention the country. It's the Philippines.

XXXCRRacer: Good suggestion. But if the buggy is cheaper then i'll go for buggy.

By-the-way guys, i prefer 1/10 scale only as a startup. Almost everything here is nitro.... i'll go for nitro after about 3~6 months with electric.

I hope some of my fellow 'kababayan' would help me find a place to look with.

Regards.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #7
Tech Adept

hi mate,

as a person who innitailly started with trucks,my suggestion is to drive a buggy first.the buggy is a bit harder to drive at first because of smaller wheels,shorter wheelbase etc whereas a truck u will have more control over.

once u know how to drive a buggy u will know how to drive a truck
Old 12-11-2006, 11:33 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
By-the-way guys, i prefer 1/10 scale only as a startup. Almost everything here is nitro.... i'll go for nitro after about 3~6 months with electric.
Think of the money you will spend on that 1/10th. Only to know it's not really what you want. If your interested in racing Nitro, buy the Nitro, learn to drive it.
Unless there is a racing scene for the electric truck, you really won't learn much driving around/bashing.
In 3~6 months when you start learning how to race, you can buy the motor/goodies you will want/need to be competative.

This is from an electric 1/10th driver. Keeping good rubber on the thing is hard enough. The only way I could now switch to Nitro, is to park/throw away my current truck.

BTW; I have no interest in parking/slash slash.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:09 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Boony: Thanks! I'll take note of that.

jgroenhof: You're right! But nitro is far more expensive not to mention the maintenance, fuel and parts. If accidentally wreck that electric buggy/truck, I can easily ...hmmm... buy another.

Thank you guys for all your expert suggestions.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:04 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraxzi
jgroenhof: You're right! But nitro is far more expensive not to mention the maintenance, fuel and parts. If accidentally wreck that electric buggy/truck, I can easily ...hmmm... buy another.
Dude if you can afford to buy a new buggy everytime you crash you can easily afford nitro, unless your shopping at radioshack for the buggy.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:57 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Wreck a buggie?

The Offroad vehicles are tougher than you think. Sept. 1st my son (9 years old) bought an electric Team Losi XXX-t truck. He went straight into racing, after maybe twice running in the park. The park was destroying his truck, with debris. and obstacles like trees. Things you don't see at the track so much.

He hasn't wrecked the thing and I don't think you will. He/we/she/all the racers, have broken various parts, Front suspension arms mostly. Turnbuckles, screws here and there. But not much. Low cost items.

Nitro, does cost alot more to get into because of the initial kit price. But I have a feeling that it costs about the same to maintain. Between the two of us we own 11 battery packs, a few motors, which need to be rebuilt every 10 or so runs ($10 usd each time) two chargers, a discharger, power supply, spare radio crystals, and alot more.

If you do buy electric planning a move to Nitro, at least do yourself the favor of buying items such as Servos and a radio which will be good with the Nitro truck.

Oh. Make sure parts are readily availiable for your vehicle of choice. You say there is a track near you "Nitro is popular" see where those folks are buying their stuff, and buy it there. Good luck to you. Have fun.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:02 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Nitro will cost you alot more and you need to have tuning experience.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:40 AM   #13
Tech Master

Nitro is actually cheaper long run than electric. The nitro kits are abotu 2x what the electric kits are, but if you are going to be racing all you need for nitro is good electronics and an ok charger, for electric you need motors, batteries, good charger, lathe,( unless you run brushless), discharger, the batteries and motors need replaced semi-frequently, more often than a nitro engine at least, and fuel lasts long enough. To get set up with good racing equiptment it is about 150 less for a Nitro $500 kit, ready to run or not, with decent new engine ( $250), servos, radio gear, servos, charger and starter box than an Electric $250 kit, with a good mod motor, servo, radio gear, good charger, speed control, good batteries, discharger, lathe. Parts are equivalent for each, Nitro maybe a hair more than electric, and maintanance is probably more intense with electrics due to discharging batteries over adding after run to your engine.
I run both, have 2 Nitro and 3 electrics. If you are going to be racing nitro eventually, and there is a light electric class, just get a nitro, because you will be out all the extras, adn in teh end, you will still need to learn to tune your engine, and you get no experience with that driving electrics.
gatermaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:57 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to encore75

Pare,

Kababayan here...but i'm in the States. I don't know what they run over there in the PI, but with a budget of 5K, you probably need to look for something used.

Try asking the kababayan in the Manila thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Maybe they can better help you find what you're looking for...they even have a "for sale/swap" thread.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:19 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Thank you all beautiful people. Support here is amazing and expertly executed.

encore75: Pare musta dyan? thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I'll double my budget. This coming Sunday I'll scan the whole manila to find a good cheap buggy/truck for practice driving.

MABUHAY!