R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   O'donnell buggy is AE's new 1/8 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/138861-odonnell-buggy-aes-new-1-8-a.html)

slammer 12-01-2006 01:04 PM

O'donnell buggy is AE's new 1/8

Just a thought, but i think the O'donnell Buggy is Associated's new buggy. I just can't see a new company coming out with another buggy.
Plus to make it successfull you would have to market it right. And we all no associated is great at that.

Davidka 12-01-2006 01:14 PM

I thought the same thing about Janet and Michael Jackson.

Most are reasonably sure that they are different. It would do a lot of damage to O'Donnell's image to not release a buggy after all of the hype. It would be more realistic if O'Donnell were owned by the same company or something like that.

PIITB 12-01-2006 01:54 PM

with the history and the amount of drivers Associated has i doubt if they will need to rely on OD.

slammer 12-01-2006 02:01 PM

I agree they wouldn't need to rely on OD. My thought was they were just using O'donnell stickers on it to mask what tebo was testing for associated.

Crim3Wav3 12-01-2006 02:21 PM

it doesnt look like (from the OD pics) that there is enough "innovation" for it to be an Associated buggy.

Maybe that is giving too much credit to Associated and slamming OD, but hey, this is a public forum right :sneaky:

I like soup!!!!!!

kdub 12-01-2006 03:04 PM

The Associated and O'Donnell buggies are 2 different cars, developed separately. From what I hear, both will be released in early '07. End of story.....

slammer 12-01-2006 06:17 PM

End of story. that's cool, Tebo running for O'donnell and the rest of the Team will be using the AE buggy.

Go O'Donnell and AE :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

slammer 12-01-2006 07:32 PM

go TEAM! :confused:

rdeppen 12-02-2006 06:18 AM

From all the info I have heard and some of it from Assc drivers mouths is the new Assc buggy as well as the OD car are nothing but warmed over K-cars. Not even close to thinking outside the box like losi did.

W.E.D.Jim 12-02-2006 09:13 PM

Except these cars will work even better when done...At least do less "Push Donuts" we hope.
I can't wait to see the revised TL chassis for that car moving the engine back, etc.

Not to mention as an engineer friend of mine stated, "A TeamLosi trademark is to think of a radical new idea and then Compromise the entire car around it?"

;)

I know, spoken like a bitter Ex Losi driver, but i'm not really. I think the 8 is a cool car, but they pushed some things a bit overboard, imeo(in my expert-ish opinion, LOL). I am not expecting a benchmark to be reset like I did at first when building one. After watching it run and seeing alot go up for sale, they have more work to do and most likely will do it, we will see.

I look forward to seeing the new A/E car and hope this one makes me sell my Mugen stuff!? Again, we will see.

HA,
Jim

Doug D 12-03-2006 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
I can't wait to see the revised TL chassis for that car moving the engine back, etc.

Jim - Don't wait for T/L, if I was in the RC aftermarket business,(JConcepts), I'd bust out an adjustable chassis for the 8ight. I'm sure they'd sell very well.... :) :nod:

W.E.D.Jim 12-03-2006 08:56 PM

:tire: :sneaky: :tire:

:D
....Jim

runnin rc10 12-03-2006 09:04 PM

I wouldnt expect to see anything "differet" from associated. They wont go outside the box, and I dont think the design will wow you. But is that gonna make it slow.....HECKKKKK NO. Regardless of how simple and mainstream associated is, they always, ALWAYS make a fast car.

We are getting to point where there isnt much innovation left to be done. Sure you can move the motor every which way like losi decided, but as most have found out....the car will handle a lot different. The only changes IMO that can be made are to geometry and where to put the motor.

my .02

W.E.D.Jim 12-04-2006 07:33 PM

Actually I was thinking they have only scratched the surface, LOL.

I'm surprised no manufacturer is willing to try the Cantilever style suspension, like the Revo has and now an Ofna sedan. It is super tunable, with differing amounts of progression and travel available by changing bellcranks, not to mention the usual spring and shock changes, etc.

They also could do variable track width that has multiple suspension pin locations, like the TL XXX line does since the 3rd gen. This would allow rough track long arms, high bite short arms set up, etc.

Then there is a car with a sliding center drive shaft front and rear, that enables the tuner to move the center diff and engine. Of course this means a chassis drilled for multiple locations as well as a motor mount designed for it.

This could also be used to spread the weight out(side to side) for some tracks as well, where it would be desired to have more weight shift(or transfer). Since centralized weight takes away traction available, but makes the car more responsive, it isn't always best one particular way.

I'll keep some of the other ideas I have to myself though, ;).

...Jim

RC Scoring Pro 12-04-2006 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by kdub
The Associated and O'Donnell buggies are 2 different cars, developed separately. From what I hear, both will be released in early '07. End of story.....

I talked to an Associated Team driver 10 days ago and he said the buggy would not be out until it is ready and it isn't ready. I asked if it would be available for early Summer 2007 and he said he didn't think so.