R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-06-2006, 04:28 PM   #31
Tech Adept

i think jjust becauce they dont have as many big wins as other companies everyone thinks its a flop
SPZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:33 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

B4zed, I think you are right, TeamLosi has done alot of great things in the industry! Winning world titles is not easy, convincing everyone that composites were ok for chassis material either, Jr and the guys at TL have definately done some good over the years AND lately!

I still like their shocks over any others, just for simplicity, low parts count, ease of duplicating from shock to shock, etc.

But the things that always nagged at me were things like ballcups that are Ridiculous to try and pop on, but pop off all the time. Some ideas are cool to think up, but not practical, since the compromises can outwiegh the benifits.

This seems to be the logic AE uses, not compromising things to the point where the benifits are negated by the sacrifices. There is still room for improvement, without space ship style engineering. Improving what you already sell, until you feel is has reached it's maximum potential(Or your customers decide it has, either one, LOL).

We could say that "safe" leads to copies, also, but imo there has to be a line you don't cross to avoid a huge amount of refab and reengineering, etc.

I'll take an improved version of the 7.5 with better kit included brakes, allen head screws, cnc knuckles, adjustable chassis braces and CNC shock towers Made by AE for $600(OR less) any day!

Lastly, as far as China goes, EVERYTHING is made there! If we(The U.S. and ALOT of the worlds public) didn't scour the globe looking to save just $2 more and U.S made was number one priority maybe it wouldn't be this way?

Don't think for a second that Japan and other countries aren't having ALOT made in China as well.

...Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:22 PM   #33
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Need backup? I just sent a Purchase order to a mold shop in China that will design and fab a mold for a part i designed...total cost: 26,417$ with texturing included. Same design, same texture, same delivery schedule from a mold shop in Massachusetts? Well, the quote was for 68,000$...before texturing.

Hmmm....for a startup medical device company (which we are), 68G's is a LOT of $$$$.....25 is doable.

Pride don't come cheap....the U.S.A. motto.
Crim3Wav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:47 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

True, I have come across extreme price differences also, making it almost impossible to not use overseas resources.

In the auto parts business for example, Something that is $200 per item to manufacture here, is $33 in China.
They have also brought the quality up in recent years, due to the large volume of world wide business I assume.

It helps, but the concern I have is the yen to dollar ratio is tilted heavily by the Chinese government. They have purposely devalued their currency to cause this huge difference vs the dollar, I think the Euro as well?

It makes alot of things more affordable now, with no apparent downside, but where will we be in 20 years is my concern?

I have seen dozens of issues with China copying another companies product, EXACTLY, even packaging, once they see how it functions, etc then selling it themselves, eventually putting the company that designed it out of business since a different supplier can not compete price wise.

I had a schwinn when I was a kid, it cost my dad $300, I remember that like yesterday. Today I bought my son what looks like a nicer bicycle(not Schwinn) for $69. LOL

How is Schwinn doing, do the Chinese own Schwinn yet? I really don't know.

...Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:19 PM   #35
Tech Initiate

I am counting on you AE. Can't wait to see what you have, i know it will be good. I was going to by a losi but with all the success i have had with associated i have decided to wait.

Include some good proline tires in the package and we will be rockin.
slammer is offline   Reply With Quote