R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-28-2006, 05:38 PM   #1

Trader Rating: 148 (99%+)
Default Team Orion GP4300 matched team packs=JUNK!

Hey everybody;
Just wanted to take a few minutes to give everyone a heads up on some bad batteries that I, and some of my friends bought....

Myself and 3 other people that I race with, all bought some Team Orion Matched GP4300 team packs, and so far they are all pretty much junk!
We all have different chargers, such as: Integy 16x9v6, Integy 16x7v6, Turbo 35GFX, and a millenium Pro, I believe. We have all tried different methods of discharging as well, such as: Light bulbs with a cut-off switch, using the chargers to discharge, running the batts in the vehicles, novak smart trays, Tekin battery doctors, etc...all to bring the batts down to the recommended 0.9 cut-off.

Here's where the bad part is...none of us that have bought these can get them to even take a full charge! They peak out at about 3500-3700, and are usually hot (115-135 degrees)when they peak. They have been this way since they were new, and they false peak all the time as well. We all have cycled them about 10-15 times now, and they are getting worse instead of better, with the mah capacity dropping a little each time they are cycled.

The hobby shop that we bought them from contacted Orion about the problem (the hobby shop owner had bought some too), and they said that we must've gotten some bad cells, and wanted us to check them to make sure that they were at least 1.2 for each cell. We found 2 packs that had bad cells (one of which was found before it was even assembled), which Orion is supposed to be sending new cells to replace. However, the other packs have no "bad" cells, they just won't take a charge, and, they have no punch (comparitively speaking), or anywhere near the runtime that they are supposed to have. The IB3800's that I purchased at the same time, are waaaay better performing batteries than the Orion packs are, at this point anyway. Not bragging on IB's necessarily, just using them as a comparison.
Another interesting twist to the story is....we looked on GP's website, and they recommend charging these packs at 5 amps.....that's what GP says about their own cells....BUT, Orion is matching them charged at 6 amps...I don't know if this ruining the cells or not, but they sure aren't perfoming like they are supposed to.

After several discussions with Orion about this problem, they (orion) decided that we needed to send them all 12 packs that we bought so they could find out which cells are bad..lol. And, they said that the batteries had to be trayed to take a full charge!!!....HELLO??? What part of WE ALREADY DID ALL THAT (several times), DIDN'T YOU UNDERSTAND, ORION???? Talk about customer service that is a slap in the face....implying that we have no idea what we are doing...lol.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone else was having this kind of problem with these batteries, and to let everyone know that the packs that we got from them are junk, so be careful, and I wouldn't recommend these batts to anyone...stay away....We are not r/c newbs by any stretch, and all of us know what are doing with charging and discharging batts, but Orion is trying to imply that we don't have a clue...lol.....but I think they need to look in the mirror...lol.

Thanks, Brad

==TEAM NOVELTY==

Last edited by WYLDTHING; 11-28-2006 at 06:11 PM.
WYLDTHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

If you need to replace those batteries I would recommend the IB 4200WC packs available at places like promatch. These have excellent punch and capacity. They are also ROAR legal.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:54 PM   #3

I may have to try them, but 4300's are ROAR legal now too...

==TEAM NOVELTY==
Old 11-28-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

This is true, I've got three of these piece's of junk.
LOSI BOY-MF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:08 PM   #5
Tech Addict

is it that gp4300's are junk, are just the one's from orion?
Losi XXX-MF2/CRC SC
B&T R/C - http://b-treman-rc.valp.net/btrchome.htm
dirtracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtracer1
is it that gp4300's are junk, are just the one's from orion?
Can't say for sure, obviously, but I haven't heard anything negative about any of the other GP4300's.

In all fairness though...I haven't owned any other GP4300's, so I'm just going by my own experiences with these current batteries, and what I've heard other people say about the batteries they have.

I can say this though...they are supposed to be matched packs, and for whatever reason (Orion or GP), they don't discharge equally...not even close. They don't really "dump" like normal high-dollar matched packs do either, they just keep getting "softer" as you run them.....and when you tray them, they have some cells that last 5-10 minutes longer than other cells...

==TEAM NOVELTY==
Old 11-28-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

2 words ----power push-- you will NOT be dissapointed!
Old 11-28-2006, 11:42 PM   #8
Tech Adept

matching is way over-rated by umatched, cost half as much and you can update your cells more often. your performance will be better in the long run.
BlueR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:55 PM   #9

Hey everybody;
Just wanted to update the thread here....Orion is sending 12 new/different packs to replace all the ones that we bought....I'll keep you all updated of how this progresses, but right now, it looks like they are stepping up to the plate big time!

Thanks, Brad

==TEAM NOVELTY==
Old 12-02-2006, 12:56 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueR1
matching is way over-rated by umatched, cost half as much and you can update your cells more often. your performance will be better in the long run.
A pack is only as good as the worst cell. A matched pack will guarantee more consistant runs with better perfomance (if the numbers are good! ). Depends what level you run at. You can get unmatched cells in bulk packs and match them yourself.
X5 Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:11 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey whats up

i dont know if any of you guys are running graphite chasis or not, my losi bk1 shorts out my 4200s every time without fail. the chasis protector tape is on and not damaged but still all the right side battery bars rub and short. the only reason i suggest this is that when i tray my batts certain cells are below dead and the other ones discharge for 45 minutes. now before every race i put electrical tape on the bars that short out and problem solved.

hope this helps
jnslprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:31 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Gday,

I've also had IB's short between 2 cells glued together! Scary! I use sigle cell wrap before glueing together now! Never had this prob with GP Panasonic or Sanyo's of old.
X5 Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:20 PM   #13
Suspended

i have been running orion batts for about four years now. and i to agree the 4300 are junk my 3700 from them outperform my 4300. i use a smart tray and then i charge with orion step charge rates that they recommend to use on 4300 cells. they are very flat but do run long, just no punch and i get smoked on straights since i cant get out of the corner. if they are replacing your batts maybe i should call them.

but i also know that orion is no longer offering gp cells at all and will only be selling the ib4200 batts. right now those are not available yet either, so now what. i have trusted orion products for so long that i just figured despite the numbers i got some bad batts and left it at that. but now hearing everyone else i may call them also. three of my packs are only one month old and the other two and a half months old.
wingnutracing28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:27 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I also have team orion junk packs.They each had a bad cell in them. Orion sent me two new cells but the packs are really flat and like you said they peak at 3500 - 3700 mah. No punch whatsoever.I'm going to e-mail them and see what they will do!
PHIL700XCSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:52 AM   #15

Hey Guys;
Sounds like some of you are experiencing the same problems with them that myself and my buddies are....Orion is supposed to be replacing our batts with the IB4200 cells, but like you say, they aren't even offering them yet, so I don't know how long it will take to get them.
The hobbyshop owner that ordered them all for us has been talking to Joe Pillars (head of customer service at Orion), so if you call, you might ask to talk to him. He's a good guy I think, but sometimes good guys get caught in the middle of a bad situation. But I would still recommend talking to him if you can, cuz he's aware of the problem, and aware of these threads that I started on several sites...one of which I got called everything but a white man for trying to "bash" Orion. I guess I call a spade a spade, which some people don't care for.
Orion has great products pretty much all the time, but these batts are just bad news, and after several weeks of talking with them, we weren't getting anywhere..so I used my last resource, and that's my voice. At least that way other people would know what was going on and could make a more informed decision as to whether to buy these batts or not.
Anyway, I hope that Orion (Joe) takes care of you all that are having problems with them as well...good luck!!

Brad

==TEAM NOVELTY==