R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-25-2006, 04:06 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Whatever happened to narrow truck front wheels?

My first truck was an RC10T.

Th original kit came with both narrow and wide front wheels, wide being the same size as current kits come with.

Now I know the ROAR rules have a minimum wheel width, I'm just curious if anyone knows why the narrow fronts were abolished? When I was racing back then no one used the wide fronts. They just had too much steering and made the rear feel light and low on traction.

I realise the rationale is to keep a truck a truck in the best sense (ie trucks have big wheels!), but I would have thought in the interests of keeping the class alive it would be good to allow the narrow fronts.
Eggyolkeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:48 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Tire compounds and tread developements that have taken place since the origional rc10T make the narrow fronts obsolete... It's not that they aren't allowed, it's that they aren't necessary anymore and noone runs them... and to keep costs down Assocaited isn't gonna put something in the box that almost everyone will just throw away....

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:28 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Actually, the one and only reason that the narrow wheels aren't used is because the rule that was written immediately after the RC10t came out. The truck completely dominated the first few races it entered and the narrow wheels and tires were banned almost immediately. It was mainly the apperance of a monster truck that ROAR was trying to preserve. There was no good reason that Pro-Line and Losi couldn't make their own version. I believe trucks would handle much better with narrower front tires.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The narrow fronts WERE a far better tire Impact - as per the other reply which does make sense. I suspected it was to keep the genuinity of the truck look.

Also, they AREN'T allowed under ROAR guidelines. They state a minimum width of 2".

As I say though it's a shame. I no longer run truck. I recently drove a mate's MF2 and found it the hardest off-road vehicle type to drive. I wouldn't consider getting back into electric truck, even though I like the shape and their bullet-proofness!
Eggyolkeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:45 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The design of the new tires are far superior than the RC 10 tires. Alot changed since then.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:55 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to clintscreations Send a message via Yahoo to clintscreations

i never used the narrow things........i felt the truck drove like crap so id sell'm to the highest bidder.........LOL
course i would only keep a 10t for 3-4 weeks before someone just had to have my truck cause it was the baddest thing they had seen.....LOL
kcrc - shawnee, ks
clintscreations is offline   Reply With Quote