Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Mugen Off Road Forum >

Mugen Off Road Forum

Mugen Off Road Forum

Old 02-20-2003, 12:22 PM

Default Mugen Off Road Forum

Hey, just got a new MST-1 after being absent from the hobby a few months. Really pumped and looking forward to racing again!!! This thread is just for general chat, set-ups, and anything MUGEN!!!

Last edited by slapper; 02-20-2003 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

i am eagerly awaiting the release of the mbx5

i ran mbx4xr last year and the buggy gave me almost zero problems all year

i thought about getting the mst-1 but decided to concentrate on only 1 class per race

i have heard of some racers having problems with the rear axles for the mst-1

mugen is suppose to have new axles for it soon

but for now you may want to consider changing them with cvds from another truck ive heard rc10gt axles fit but i would think the axles for xxxnt would fit considering the truck is designed from xxxnt

other than the axle problem i would say the mugen would be way more durable than ae or losi

i have a couple friends with mst-1s and neither has had any problems as far as i know
Old 02-24-2003, 07:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey, just picked up one myself this weekend. Awesome truck. Instruction manual SUCKS!!! Still trying to find time to put it together . I'd better hurry as the track opens March 9th. Here are a couple of sites I found doing some research before I bought this kit. Hope this helps. Let's keep this forum going. Later, Rick

http://www.rc-racing.com/cgi-bin/bac...se?conf=mugen2

(click on the forum MST-1 setups...near the bottom of the page)

www.kazzamoto.com

(has several very good setup sheets there)
Old 02-25-2003, 04:33 AM

jason-- I had an XR not to long ago and it was awesome!!! Mine did give me zero problems!!! I can't wait for the MBX5 either, thinking about getting one. But, I think i'm gonna concentrate on one class as well!!!

twist2go-- I think they did a better job on this instruction book than they did on the XR's.......LOL!!! I'm gonna start putting mine together today!!! Did you buy the kit with or without the engine??? I bought the one with the engine and it is very nice, suppose to be a great performer as well!!!
Old 02-25-2003, 04:43 AM
Tech Initiate

I got the one w/ the engine as I was going to have to buy a "legal" race motor anyways. I would love to race 1/8 scale but it seems to be alot more expensive, both in initial expense and weekly maintenance, tires, etc. I already have the motor ready to bolt in and the trans is assembled. Tonight the suspension.
Later, Rick
Old 02-25-2003, 04:58 AM

oh yeah, thanks for those great links!!!
Old 02-25-2003, 09:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default MST1?

Do any of you know the part number for the Proline Crowd Pleazer that comes in the kit. I need to order one for a customer and i can't find it anywhere. Thank you in advance.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:08 PM

I finally sat down with the truck tonight and I got all the way to the part where you install the steering servo. It is going together very well.......I am very pleased with it. You know, the general layout of the truck may resemble a Losi.......but, every part on it is completely diffrent!!!
Old 02-26-2003, 03:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Wow, you're farther than me. I am just now starting the frt suspension/shock tower ( step 13) I'm still amazed at the quality of the kit. Much better than Losi or AE.
Barb, I don't have the manual in frt of me now,but I'll post the part # later today.
Later, Rick
Old 02-26-2003, 07:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

mugens may have kinda crappy manuals but the plastic is very strong and all parts fit very well

i have had ae and losi cars and the plastic was brittle and the screws seem to wear the plastic out after a couple times in and out
Old 02-26-2003, 01:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

twist - thanx i'll check back.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't know wich kit you guys are putting together buy when I put my mst together I thought it was kinda crapy quality compared to my xxxnt. The arms are very sloppy from the start pretty much every pivot point needs to be shimed to get rid of excess slop. I like the truck allot but the fit and finish is a little sloppy.... I am in no way pro losi but I think the kit quality of the losi is much better I just like the way the mugen works and it looks like it will be a tougher truck if they ever get the axle thing figured out.............
Old 02-26-2003, 03:16 PM

I don't know, everything on my MST-1 is nice and tight.......had't shimmed one thing on it!!! I really like Losi's, i've owned and raced 2 XXX-NT's in the past and they are great performers!!! I used to race a Mugen MBX-4XR and I really liked it, so I just wanted to give there truck a go around!!! I'm really considering getting that MBX5 when it hits, I really miss my buggy and would really like to get back in 1/8 as well!!!
Old 02-26-2003, 03:23 PM
Tech Initiate

The last trucks I can compare to were Ae, Losi and Traxxas from the late 80's/early 90's. Anybody remember the Blue Eagle race trucks? I definetly think think the quality of the Mugen kit is better.
The only parts I have shimmed are the rear control arms. I put 1 Losi gold shim on each side to take up some fore/aft play in the arms. I haven't stripped one screw yet. Something I can't say for the NTC3 I just put together a few months ago.

Barber, the part # for the body is L1001. When you get it, how about comparing it with the Pleazer bodies for the xxxnt and the rc10gt to see how they compare. The guys at my lhs seem to think it's the same as the one for the xxxnt.

Later, Rick
Old 02-26-2003, 03:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

rick - thank you and i will let you know if they are the same. take care.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.