R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-18-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Need help with radio gear

I have a new T4 and have everything I need now. The radio equipment is in and ready. I have the new Spektrum DX2.0 radio, Airtronics BL-Racer esc., and a p2k2 motor. I have tried everything and can't get the thing to work. I have a fully charged pack in the truck, TX batteries are new and can't figure it out. I binded the radio, programmed the esc. and all I get is steering. The steering works great but I just can't get the forward/reverse to do anything. Is there a compatability issue with the esc. and the spektrum reciever? The LED on the esc works as it's supposed to. It goes off at full throttle and off at neutral. That to me sounds like the esc is reading the reciever ok. Seems to me like an esc problem. Any suggestions.

Also did I void the warranty on the esc when I cut off the plugs and put deans plugs on? I have a feeling I did.
calyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:20 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A couple things to try:
Check the motor leads with a voltmeter when you throttle up to see if anything it getting that far.
Check that the brushes aren't hung up and are making good contact with the comm. Remove the springs, pull out the brushes and then put it back together.
Also make sure you are not in the setup mode of the esc. That would exhibit the same things you describe like steering but no throttle.
Rysuleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

After posting this question I thought of the same thing. I put a meter on the motor like you suggested and gave it some throttle and got a big fat 0.00V. I started testing more things and concluded something strange. I have deans plugs on the motor connection and was checking continuity on each section of wire and found out that I wasn't getting anything pas the deans plug. The wierd thing is is that everthing is intact and soldered. I can't figure out what the problem was. Anyways I resoldered new leads onto the plug and to the motor and it fired right up.

This is my first time with a "stock" motor setup. I made sure there's no binding and the gear mesh is good but the motor seams to get hot pretty fast just holding it in the air and letting the tires spin. Is this normal? I also noticed a lot of arcing on the brushes at first but seemed to mostly go away after a few seconds of holding the throttle at about 1/4. Everything works OK but I just want to make sure
Old 11-18-2006, 09:24 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

depends how long it takes for the motor to get warm.

these are the things that might make it warm fast:
geared too high.
powerful battery.
bad motor...

sorry i can't really help ya on the question. haven't monkey'd around with electric stuff since 02'.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:46 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Well, even though I got the pro version of the p2k2 I went ahead and ran it at 5V for a few minutes and it seamed much better. No arcing and after it cooled off I ran it again and this time it didn't get near as hot. I think it just needed a little extra breaking in.

Also there is a problem with what I would percieve to be the esc. At about 3/4 throttle, the motor cuts out for a split second and then continues to increase RPM. What would cause this? Everything is new.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:55 PM   #6
Tech Adept

try some capcitors on the motor.this will eliminate almost all glitching
Old 11-19-2006, 10:49 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

It's not glitching. It's just cutting out at one certain point of the throttle. definately not glitching.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:46 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Doesn't the P2K2 have capacitors on it already? Stupid Trinity doesn't have it listed on their site anymore so I can't check for sure.

The brushes will arc more when they are brand new because they are not fully seated with the comm. Breaking them in at low voltage is one way to get them seated properly. Try this site for stock motor tuning advice: http://www.motortuningsecrets.com/tunestockmotor.html

The only thing I can think of that you can do is to go through the ESC setup again to ensure it's right. If it's still doing it you can have a hobby shop take a look to see if the ESC works with another radio attached.
Rysuleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:24 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Yeah the p2k2 already has capacitors built in. Someone on another forum said that it sounded like one of the FET's was bad. Either way, I think I'm out of luck because after cutting the wires and installing deans plugs, the warranty was pretty much thrown out the window. To bad because it's brand new.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:37 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Figured it out. Yep, I'm a moron. Actually I noticed that I soldered the deans plug on the motor connection backwards. I thought if I set the Tx to servo reverse on the throttle it would fix it. Duh, it's not a servo. I switched the wires and bingo, whataya know.