R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-16-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default XXX-CR Steering rack on XXX-T MF2

In another post upgrading the MF2 with a XXX-CR steering rack was mentioned. Three questions.

Is this a pretty good upgrade, and why?

What are the required parts?
I tried to figure this out from the exploded views, but got a bit confused.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:35 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Alberico Send a message via Yahoo to David Alberico

I've heard of some guys running the Gen1 transmission and the buggy CR hubs. Personally I like my truck bone stock with all the MF2 parts on it.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

The CR rack setup is a direct bolton for the MF2. It makes the handling more predictible and smoother. You can get the part #s off of the Team Losi website. Just look at the XXX-CR exploded view. It lists all the parts.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
Tech Elite

The limited experience I've had with the steering rack on a truck, and from watching other trucks with the same parts, it made the truck an absolute handful. Especially if you don't change your setup and simply exchange the steering system. One of the biggest advantages of the steering rack on the XXX-CR was the addition of on-power steering that 2wd buggies never really have. Adding that same amount of on-power steering to a truck, which usually already has steering due to the big tires, makes the truck hard to drive.

It is something to play around with, but it is not a blanket fix to make the electric truck better for everyone, at least not without other adjustments.

Just curious...why wouldn't this question have been asked in an existing thread?
Old 11-16-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

What I noticed is that the rack system made the truck easier to drive than the bellcranks due to the absence of the hook trait the bellcrank setup has.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
Old 11-16-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Default Why would I?

My truck is used and abused, with a very loose front end. I think it's time for a new kit. But can't afford it. Rebuilding the steering assy would help me out.

I feel like on power steering is the main thing I'm missing. The thing which would help my lap times. Really though I'm just trying to learn all I can about how these trucks work.

Quote:
Just curious...why wouldn't this question have been asked in an existing thread?
The original post was titled. "Need to KNOW about new LOSI Truck!!!??"
I didn't think it was really all that applicable since they were asking about Losi's next release, not a current truck.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:24 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Try out this setup when you rebuild your MF2.

Front- 56 piston, 27.5 weight oil,.120 limiter,red spring,2-B camber link w/ 1 washer under ballstud,2-middle shock location,one bumpsteer washer,spindle at bottom and long VLA.

Rear- 55 piston, 32.5 weight oil, no limiter,yellow spring, 2-A camber link, 3-middle shock location, hubs forward and short VLA. Battery is run in middle location. I use M3 Edge front tires in the front and whatever hooks up for the rear.

This setup gives alot of steering both into a turn and on exit with good traction. It works great with the bellcranks and the new rack steering system. You will find it is easier and cheaper just replace or shim the worn parts than buying and building a new kit. Let me know how it works out if you try it.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
Old 11-16-2006, 06:57 PM   #8
Tech Elite

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...4&page=1&pp=40

I searched for threads with "MF2" in the title and this was in the first five answers.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:57 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Here's the parts numbers for the XXX CR steering rack,

XXX CR steering rack LOSA1621
Bushing hardware for rack LOSA 1233.

This is all you need to change over to the CR rack. Like Sport10 said, it is a direct bolt on for the MF2, and all XXX kits. All you need is the rack and bushing hardware to change it over. You will use the rest of the existing steering system to change it over.
Team Associated
Doug T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:52 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Default hanks gang.

I went down to the hobby shop and picked up a new servo 357 'cause I had a 104 or something. REAL SLOW ANYWAY. I think I'll give that a couple of runs this weekend, before I mess with the steering rack. Only chang one thing at a time, you know.

Still am kind of curious as to why the XXX-CR rack does what it does though. Is it the Ackerman? or just a quicker reaction because of changed leverage?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2006, 01:57 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

if you look close, the rack makes the steering tie rods much shorter, which I believe creates something similar to increased leverage.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:20 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Default an improved design

I also notice from the drawings that it takes out two ball joints worth of slop.
It does look like an improved design.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:17 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

The new rack uses a difference ackerman than the bellcranks. It is a reverse ackerman. You can tune out some of the reverse ackerman by adding washers under the ballstuds on the rack. It is a cool setup.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
Old 11-18-2006, 03:11 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Default OK, Hang on there.

Clearly I'm new around here, you can see that. And I'm new to truck racing. You probably guessed.

I asked about the CR Buggy sterring rack. I have/had an understeer problem. I'm thinking about redesigning the MF2. The reality is... I had crap tires, crap servo, and crap setup.

Thursday night I went shopping. Proline M3 Edge tires and an Airtronics 94357z coreless servo. I had my sons leftover RTR front tires with some Holeshots on the rear (push), and a 94102z servo (slow and weak) the came with a $100 radio. When I got home I installed the items, then proceded to swipe Aaron Waldron's most recently posted favorite setup.

Friday night I raced at SoCal. I did soooo much better than last Friday.
Yeah it's like a new truck. I admired the way buggies could whip around the pipe and go. I wondered how truck guys could do that. Now I know. Point is... I don't think redesigning the truck is the way to go, until you are dang sure your getting the most out of what you have. Kinda like racing Mod 'cause you can't win stock!
Old 11-18-2006, 07:43 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

At the pro series finals, a guy came up to drake and asked him for help with his gas truck. Adam looked at it quickly and the 1st thing he said was "take the cr rack off of it!!" I guess it's not really the setup for the truck. Adam said he had no luck with the cr one in the trucks. I'm not sure if the new truck will have a slightly different rack or not after that comment.
DJG24 is offline   Reply With Quote