R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-16-2006, 08:50 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745

no one at my track runs that. ever one is the 6.5, 5.5 or mamba 5700
those are the main brushless motors out there. i want something to compete with. im sure the 7.5 could compete, but the 6.5 or 5.5 has more power and will be more competitive once you can control it. and learning to control it only takes time and practice, which i have alot of.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:17 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

what do you want, control or speed.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:21 PM   #18
Tech Elite

i good driver can learn to control speed. im a decent driver. and i could control a 5.5 on a friends losi. so why couldnt i on my truck.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:21 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Go for the 6.5 IMO. This is what i run in a XXXT (lrp motor/esc) and it's pretty effin fast. Geared... um.. 17/88 IIRC and top speed is comparable with my Revo 3.3 when it was stock (if that gives you some perspective). Acceleration purely depends on traction with 6.5t BL in a 2wd....

Im not convinced that the 5.5 would be materially quicker... i guess you could gear it down, but you lose the speed advantage that the motor is providing in the 1st place.

And i personally prefer the additional torque from the motor, as opposed to gaining torque through gearing.
Bit_Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:24 PM   #20
Tech Elite

thats true. and if it could run 45, then its got plenty of speed. you say your runnign an lrp motor and esc? or a novak 6.5 with an lrp sphere? or do you mean your runnign a neo motor with the lrp

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

Old 11-16-2006, 10:41 PM   #21
Tech Adept

get a 4.5, then you'll see heads turn
BlueR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:14 PM   #22
Tech Initiate

Default Did that !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueR1
get a 4.5, then you'll see heads turn
Did that with a T4. So much fun !!! Funny thing is that at the lower end of the powerband, it was very nice, smooth and linear. Once it revs up though, you just gotta let off quickly.

I used the EPA, EXP, and Punch control on my Helios to bring the power band close to a 15 turns motor when I am ready to do some serious driving though.

Get the 5.5, so you won't be asking " What if " when you can't make that huge triple. It seems like you like the challenge of learning to control all that power.
JasonD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:17 AM   #23
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yea I started with a 5.5 and guess what. I have worked my way to a 7.5 and my lap times just kept getting faster. The speed is only good on the straights. Everywhere else you will have a disadvantage of having to be much more precise on the throttle control. It all depends on the layout of your track. I have only been to 1 track where I could open up a 6.5. If all the guys at the track are not getting up to full with the 6.5 or with whatever motor then it is to hot for that track.

Why do the pros not run a 9 turn all the time in brushed? You could do an epa trick for that. If racing is your game match the motor to the track.
nichocgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:08 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic

If you are constantly blowing away your available traction as you will with a 5.5 powered 2wd truck you will not be able to make that triple either. Just imagine after lineing up perfectly for that triple giving the truck a burst of power and having it get loose and squirrelly and casing the jump because you accidently gave it too much power. Trying to control an overpowered beast around every turn and down every straight really throws consistancy out the door no matter how good you think you are. And being consistant wins races. The above post has it right match the motor to the track.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:45 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

4wd = 5.5 or 6.5
2wd = 7.5 or 8.5 (5800)

Waste of time a 5.5 in a 2wd.
Greg M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:45 PM   #26
Tech Elite

i dont think i will get the 5.5. the 6.5 seems like plenty. and this isnt a very tight track. wide turns and long straights. i mean i get to second gear with my revo on alot of the big straights and i have tuned to stay in first for a little longer than stock. and i think driving my revo takes just as much throttle control as driving my friends losi so i think i will be able to work with the 6.5 for the next season.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

Old 11-20-2006, 02:27 PM   #27
Tech Elite

thanks for all the helps guys. ill let ya know how it works out after i get everything together

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

Old 12-19-2006, 09:28 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What's with the Mamba. It doesn't have sensors on the motor. How do they compare to the LRP and Novak?
2012 JConcepts Winter Indoor Nationals Stock Buggy Champion!!
2009 ROAR Region 8 Stock Buggy Champion!!
kenshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:47 PM   #29
Tech Elite

not sure. but ive seen videos and they will make a truck scream. they are extreamly tunable and you can gear them like crazy cause they supposedly wont thermal

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

Old 12-20-2006, 06:42 AM   #30
Tech Addict

Ken, without a sensor the system will eventually cog. I'm sure there's going to be some guys jumping down my throat here for saying that, but it's true. I was at Chillicothe in Oct. and many guys were running the mamba system there. Everytime one of them spun out and rolled backwards just a bit, the system would start to cog if they tried to 'right' themselves again. Not the best system for racing.
Laterilus is offline   Reply With Quote