R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-14-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to MaTT32756
Default Question about Truck tires

i have a team losi XXX-NT and Its time to start buying some new tires nd im not real sure what to buy..the track i run at is hard packed,dusty, and has a little bit of loose dirt on top of it what would hook up good on this..also i have heard of team losi having different type rubber compounds i think red and silver..what are the difference between these?
MaTT32756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to $rusty$ Send a message via MSN to $rusty$

Go ask all the fast guys what they run, and more than likely they will give you all the information you need..

Rusty

thercbarn.com
$rusty$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:35 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Red is the super soft compund IIRC and silver is the soft compound. Not 100%, i dont use losi tyres. Super soft will grip better but wear quicker. For racing - it's all about performance, so always go for the softer compound IMO.

For the rough description you've given, i would try proline bowties in M3 on the rear and proline 'the edge' in M3 on the front. These tyres hook up in almost all conditions and represent a good starting point.
Bit_Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to D Hunt 3

Last edited by D Hunt 3; 11-14-2006 at 09:14 PM.
D Hunt 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:31 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

doesn't pro-line tires go by M2 and M3..so M2 would be the softer compound and M3 would be the harder compound right..
Old 11-14-2006, 08:41 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Hunt 3
In losi tires pink is soft, red is medium, silver is hard.
You got it backwards. Red is the softest, then Pink, and then Silver for losi tires. For proline M3 is the softest. I would also give M3 holeshots a try. Best thing is to look at what the fast guys are using and buy the same.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:47 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sounds similar to my track. I use holeshots, Panther komodo dragons and Losi step pins (when the track is very damp/wet). Might also want to try Losi ifmar studs.
Associated SC10.2, RC10B2, RC10T2, RC10
pumpkinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:57 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

thats how the track that i go to is..sometimes its soaking wet with puddles and sometimes its dry as a bone..i figured that step pins might werk well in that wet condition to dig down into it..what compounds do you use in wet conditions
Old 11-14-2006, 09:04 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

I would recommend Losi red ifmar studs instead of steppins in wet, moist loamy conditions. They stay cleaner and last longer.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:45 PM   #10
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Platinum_Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit_Rusty
These tyres hook up in almost all conditions and represent a good starting point.
True, but sometimes you want to slip and slide around a bit, loose is fast. If you find that you can't carry as much speed into the corners as you'd like because you have too much rear grip, and suspension tuning isn't helping you reach your goal, try another compound.

Tires and wheels for the back of a truck are only about $30 if you need the glue, and Hell, you're gonna use em' anyway, so go for it and buy an extra set if the first ain't workin' for ya'!
Platinum_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:14 AM   #11
Tech Elite

I'm sure this will create quite an argument.

The "loose is fast" mantra doesn't fly often in the R/C world, at least in my opinion. Having a car that is easy to drive is the key to fast laps for most of the toy car racers this industry will ever see and the best way to achieve that is usually to dial some push into your car. Even at a national championship level (and especially in gas racing), a car that is a tad 'tight' is often preferred over a car that is lose.

Any outdoor dirt track that gets watered, I would give Losi Red IFMAR Pins a shot. From track to track, these tires are consistently one of my favorites. And I almost always have Red Directionals on the front of my trucks.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:52 AM   #12
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Platinum_Racing

I prefer a slightly loose car, but then again I also purposefully underpower my cars so I can regain some control. I would rather have enough steering in my car so that if I dialed out some EPA on my radio midrace I could have more than enough steering in my car to do whatever I want.

If you have too much of one thing setup on your car, and dial some out on the radio then you still have the ability to regain some of it during a race. If you don't have it in your cars setup at all then you just don't have it when you need it.

I prefer my truck loose and then change my driving and radio settings to match, that way when I need a little extra I have it.

No arguments, just differences of personal taste.
Platinum_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:50 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I also like red compound IFMAR pins when outside. They are on my cars 75% of the time on outdoor tracks. Good all around tire. I go to ProLine step pins when it gets wetter/loamier, and sometimes to PL Holeshots when it gets really hardpacked and the driving line stays clean (as in no nitro cars bouncing off all the pipes spraying dirt everywhere..... )
Old 11-15-2006, 05:58 PM   #14
Tech Initiate

ok..well will a tire with smaller treads like a Losi Taper pin wear down faster then something like a Losi step pin..or is it according to the compound that makes them wear down or last longer.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:02 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Compund does affect the wear, but normally a tire with smaller tread or pins tends to wear down faster.
Sofast-NT is offline   Reply With Quote