Wiki Posts
Search

roar does it again...... "BRILLIANT" :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Red face

Not to get too involved but there is a difference here. Using the word "outlaw" would more than likely reach beyond the track and events conducted by the standing rules.
It would have the ability to possibly influence insurance considerations.

Now we have a clear path for 2007 electric racing rules.

Does this change the word "outlaw" used in the meeting minutes?
I did not see anything that retracted this decision.

Also, what happens to insurance? We have a lot of electric racers that run LiPo and we allow it. Although not a sanctioned race, this is not just a rule we are discussing. It needs to be an open statement by the insuring body as to how this will be handled if there is a mishap.

Any input will be appreciated.
TEX
Old 11-25-2006, 11:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Personally, I agree 100% with roar's decision. I have raced against racers using lipo packs, and was at a distinct disadvantage. The higher voltage and reduced weight of lipo's put me even further behind. I say roar made the right choice in this one.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Well, personally I DISAGREE!!!! The voltage difference between a good 6 cell matched pack and a 2S lipo pack is very little. A good high voltage matched pack actually will have an advantage at the start of the race in voltage. The advantage is the lipo's voltage will not fall off like the NiMh packs will giving it an advantage later during the race.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Tech Regular

There should not be a weight advantage except maybe to balancing the car because everyone still has to meet the same weight limit and even with NiMh most people have to add weight.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Red face

As far as rules go, it is a completely different technology that does not comply with the current rules. All they are doing is restating that which is already in place.

They have never been approved for racing or allowed under Roar guidelines.

Now being a governing body and publishing a statement saying they "outlaw" a given product is a different issue.

IMO - I think there should be a place for LiPo. I think they are cheap, reliable and give great performance without having to have all of the packs, handeling gear and knowledge to go with standard batteries.

TEX