Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
roar does it again...... "BRILLIANT"      :( >

roar does it again...... "BRILLIANT" :(

roar does it again...... "BRILLIANT" :(

Old 11-12-2006, 05:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Unfortunately the Lipo bandwagon doesn't get it...again. None of the other sanctioning bodies that make up IFMAR around the world have allowed Lipo batteries...YET. Its unfortunate that the rest of us have to hear the complaining of a few select people who don't get the bigger picture and can't figure out that there is a process of doing things. Did you smart guys even check the list of ROAR affiliates? Seems Orion is the only manufacturer on that list that sells Lipo batteries. Perhaps if you were to talk to your favorite Lipo dealer and have them become a ROAR affiliate, there would be a little more positive influence (and money) from the Lipo side of the camp.

I myself run a Lipo pack and I think its great but....They need to be cheaper, have a harder case like the Orion packs do, and more speed controls need to have lipo voltage cutoff.

Last edited by Scrubb; 11-12-2006 at 05:30 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Scrubb
ROAR rules help keep the classes organized, fair, competitive, controlled, and cheaper. That is what makes racing fun. Without rules and organization, its just bashing, and that is free in your own backyard, why pay to bash in somebody else's backyard?
Cheaper ? I always thought roar helped make it more expensive.

Originally Posted by Scrubb
Did you smart guys even check the list of ROAR affiliates? Seems Orion is the only manufacturer on that list that sells Lipo batteries. Perhaps if you were to talk to your favorite Lipo dealer and have them become a ROAR affiliate, there would be a little more positive influence (and money) from the Lipo side of the camp.
Exactly,If lipos are going to be legalized the lipo companys need to give kickbacks to roar to get them legalized.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
WOW!

Hey Mike! Nice job! Just to let you know, next time I see all of your buddies at a ROAR track smoking while standing over a jug of fuel, I might be inclined to say something.

IMO - We should ban all things that have the potential to burn, explode or go fast. Lord knows we can't take care of ourselves with the same gear we have been using for years. Do you have any idea how many Ni-Mh cells went off when guys are pushing them to 10 amps?

Restrictions? Yes
Consideration? Yes
Legal for Racing? Maybe in certain classes......
Outlawed? Are you kidding???????

Why don't you ask the paying members what they think. At least answer as to why you would allow this.
TEX
Old 11-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by moparsrule
So that nice light radio is going to get much heavier.
roar doesn't rule on transmitter batteries. besides, the ruling is for rc vehicles, no mention of equipment.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RussB
roar doesn't rule on transmitter batteries. besides, the ruling is for rc vehicles, no mention of equipment.

yet.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i happen to love my lipo receiver pack. Guess i wont be racing roar anytime soon. This is also going to affect some BIG names like the Drake.

ROAR, the where great minds group together and ban lipo, and dont allow Mamba system to be allowed.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In the interest of "fair and balanced" reporting...

Locally, almost all the racers still are running "old tech" NiMh cells. For the local racing scene, LiPo's would be a can of worms that could kill racing around here. Because of the weight difference, the two technologies are really not compatible. To be competitive, everyone would have to dump all their packs, dump their chargers (which don't handle LiPo's), and buy all new. The local economy won't support that... We would lose enough racers that the local track would probably close down.

Now -- Don't misunderstand me... I BELIEVE the technology will eventually win out... But there needs to be a PLAN behind this... Create a separate LiPo class? Make sure the weight ready to run is equal, etc... That takes some time to figure out...

Some locals are looking at LiPo, and almost every new charger bought will probably be one that can handle them, even if the racers are still running NiMh -- planning for the future we all know is coming. The trick is doing all this without doing more harm than good.

I think ROAR's actions are a bit extreme. I honestly think they would be better served by creating some venue for LiPo's to be added to the structure. The only way to create an intelligent way of merging the new technology into the hobby is by TRYING it out and developing structure to maintain a level playing field. They did this with Brushless motors and it eventually worked out fine...
Old 11-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tex1
Hey Mike! Nice job! Just to let you know, next time I see all of your buddies at a ROAR track smoking while standing over a jug of fuel, I might be inclined to say something.

huh???

Must be another Mike in here 'cuz I have NO IDEA who you are (do I know you?) and I haven't raced in TEXAS since the '05 ROAR Nats in Harlengen.

And, my buddies smoke while wrenching at night (even at 3am he, he.....you know who you are ) in the hotel room 'cuz they're too busy at the races to smoke'm

The advantages of LiPo is obvious. IMO it's bad to not allow the technology room to grow.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tfrahm
To be competitive, everyone would have to dump all their packs, dump their chargers (which don't handle LiPo's), and buy all new.
What did these people do when NiMH came about and knocked out NiCd? They had to adapt/progress then to be competitive, right?

Most rc'ers end up getting wrapped up in the latest movement if it'll make them better/faster, or alteast that's how it has seemed since i was little...and this yearning to keep up superceded their true financial means.

I'd be willing to bet that this whole thing is not only limited to political and financial roots, but also insurance too for sanctioned tracks.

LiPO, though growing while becoming more and more refined...it's a fact it's easier to have things go wrong with them vs. NiCd and NiMH. Because of this, you have more growing pains.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Red face

Sorry Mr. Dana,
Mike knows who I am talking to. He is the one that passed the rule.
Take care,
TEX
Old 11-13-2006, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tex1
Sorry Mr. Dana,
Mike knows who I am talking to. He is the one that passed the rule.
Take care,
TEX

wheeew, I was hoping it was someone else
Old 11-13-2006, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tfrahm
To be competitive, everyone would have to dump all their packs, dump their chargers (which don't handle LiPo's), and buy all new.
It's really not that bad. Next month, when they replace ALL of their $60 NiMH packs, buy 1 $80 LiPo and 1 $129 Duratrax ICE. Competition Electronics is going to come out with a LiPo upgrade for the GFX so that will probably cost about $25.

Next year I will mostly be runnng LiPo at club events and only run NiMH for trophy races that havent adopted the next gen technology.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:38 AM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by Dick Trickle
click to see: ROAR November meeting minutes

quote from page 2, 10th line down:

"A proposal to outlaw Lithium Polymer batteries in all r/c vehicles was discussed. This item was adopted."

wow they are a smart bunch
Wow...this is sad to here. Novak comes out with a BL motor and a year later we have exhibition classes at all the National events. Definitely a good move on ROAR's part. Now we have batteries that you do not need to buy every 3 months and they have great power and ROAR proposes to throw it out. Let the racers choose. Put up a poll on the ROAR Website.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

ROAR looks and sounds almost as stupid as our US Government........
Old 11-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Yet another reason why I quit running electric.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.