R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-10-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to builthatch
Default to lube...or not to lube!

xxx-t mf2 tranny....

in the 'structions, it does not mention lubing the gears. however, after noticing my slipper shaft is bent slightly, i bought a new one. in the instructions for the new one, it says to use diff lube on the gears and on the edges of the tranny case halves.

should i use stealth lube lightly applied to the gears?

i would use Tamiya ceramic or something, but i don't have any...will stealth lube help the cause?!

thanks!
Old 11-10-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
Tech Addict

I've always used Green Slime on my gears. Just a tiny bit, then spin the gears in one of the case halves and remove any excess.
mfishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:34 PM   #3
Tech Addict

put the diff lube around the lip of each of the tranny cases halves. the reason is that it will help seal the tranny and keep dust/dirt out of the tranny. it does nothing for lubrication....it's just acts as a sealer/gasket.

as for the gears.....i know alot of people swear by putting grease, or even graphite compounds on their grears, however, grease on your grears will add friction and do nothing more than gum up your tranny. if you want a free tranny, do not put anything on your tranny gears....or at the most, just a drop (ONE) of light weight bearing oil on each of the gears and then work that in by spinning the gears untill the oil has worked it's way around to all parts of the gears. the gears are made of plastic and are self lubricating and don't really need any additional lubrication.
Losi XXX-MF2/CRC SC
B&T R/C - http://b-treman-rc.valp.net/btrchome.htm
dirtracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtracer1
however, grease on your grears will add friction and do nothing more than gum up your tranny. if you want a free tranny, do not put anything on your tranny gears.....
Incorrect!
You are confusing friction for drag, which are completely different.

Lubricating the gears will reduce friction and heat buildup between the meshing gears, so making the gearbox more efficient overall, even if it does reduce the amount of free spin.

Remember free spin does not automatically mean efficiency.

Having also been involved with various "self lubricating" materials (including gear plastics) over the years I can tell you that it is a bit of a incorrect label - the materials do not actually lubricate themselves - it is more correct to say that the materials they are made from are more resiliant to heat and friction build-up, so therefore don't specifically NEED any lubricant to function normally.

However testing has always proven that these "self lubricating" gears still show higher efficiency when some lubricant is used.
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:12 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to builthatch

interesting info guys.

i went ahead and smeared a tiny tiny amount of the stealth diff lube on the gear, according to the instruction sheet with the top gear and spun everything to make sure it was distributed lightly on all gear teeth surfaces- upper, middle and diff.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:58 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I never put the white grease on the tranny halves. as it says. I do put grease on the gears, I used to use White Lightning from the bike shop it worked good but now just use diff grease, it will not free roll great untill you run it once or twice then it will be butter. I guess you could say it is butter because it has spun all the grease off..LOL I dont know I have always done that for years and years with great success.
Mike Elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:39 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender
Incorrect!
You are confusing friction for drag, which are completely different.

friction...drag, whatever. it's still goop on your grears no matter what you call it.

bottom line, if you want a tranny with drag, then grease your grears. if you want the freeiest tranny you can have, then either don't oil, or very lightly oil (not grease) your gears.

the more grease you put in there has a direct relationship with how hard your motor has to work too.
Losi XXX-MF2/CRC SC
B&T R/C - http://b-treman-rc.valp.net/btrchome.htm
dirtracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:39 AM   #8
Tech Regular

You can try Areo-Car super speed gear lube. It is a wax base gear lube.
Works great with no drag. It comes with a dabber and only a tinny bit one the idler gear will do the trick. It works its way around and puts a thin coat on all the gear. I got mine from tower hobbies.