R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-09-2006, 02:34 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default xxx4 / novak 5.5 bl fit question

Just picked up a XXX4 used, and dropped in a Novak 5.5 brushless setup. Man, this buggy has rip.

Having problem with the esc fit, though. With the low profile body, the bulky esc, extra wiring and cap don't really have a good home.

I'm interested to see how others are positioning their running gear. Right now, I have the esc mounted behind the motor, in the left rear corner of the chassis. I'm thinking that it might fit better in front of the motor (between the motor and the servo), and then I would just relocate the reciever.

Can fellow XXX4 owners post some pics of their chassis layout?

thanks in advance-
TC_Tuner
MRX4-X F180 Cobra Zipper Kart Yokomo BD Cup Racer FM1e Recoil M18 Pro Scalpel dNaNo Baja 5T HB D8 Vorza ERevo Savage Flux SCX10 GT2 T4 Slash Ten SCTE Blitz ESE HB Cyclone D4 Mini ERevo Vendetta ST Mini T Micro T
TC_Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Its not brushless setup, but i have my stuff mounted they way you do now. A guy at the track has his speedo mounted in the front of the motor behind the servo with his BL setup, the wires seem to not be all bunched up like mine are with it behind the motor, and hes got alot more wiring than i do.
Attached Thumbnails
xxx4 / novak 5.5 bl fit question-bodyoffxxx4.jpg  
FowLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:16 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I'm having the same problem with my 5.5. I hope some more will give some Ideas and post pics. Thanks
LOSI BOY-MF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Sorry I can't post pics because the XXX4 has been taken apart but....

When I ran a friend of mines with the GTB/5.5 I put the ESC between the servo and the motor. It fit fine but took a little work to get the wires to route correclty without pushing on the body.

I double side taped the cap ontop of the servo next to the backbone. And, my PT was ontop of the servo as well; to the left (when standing behind the car) of the cap.

I mounted a Novak XXTRA on end, against the backbone, behind the motor with the antennta mount moved rearward. I think I might have used the rear belt cover hole to thread the antenna mount into... I'm not sure. Anyway, I had to modify the antenna mount to get it to work. Once it was done it was sweet though.

Also, I cut the body right above the fan on the ESC. I didn't cut it all of the way off, but cut it so that I could bend up the lexan and make an air scoop out of it. It was bent so that it stuck up maybe 1/4" above the body, had a "flat top", directed the air into the fan and DIDN'T look hack! If I remember the fan wa hitting the body anyway and SOMETHING needed to be done about it, so the scoop not only redirected more air to the fan but made the body clear it as well.

Sorry I don't have pics. But using these notes and your brain you should be able to figure it out.

Mike Dana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default helpful!

thanks, this confirms what looked to be a better setup.

Mike D - do you happen to remember how you orentiated the esc? I figure the 'back' of the esc (with the motor and battery leads) would likely face the back of the car, but they could also face the center. Happen to remember?

thanks for the help-
TC_Tuner
MRX4-X F180 Cobra Zipper Kart Yokomo BD Cup Racer FM1e Recoil M18 Pro Scalpel dNaNo Baja 5T HB D8 Vorza ERevo Savage Flux SCX10 GT2 T4 Slash Ten SCTE Blitz ESE HB Cyclone D4 Mini ERevo Vendetta ST Mini T Micro T
TC_Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:27 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I can't remember for sure.

I'm thinking the ESC tabs were facing the motor and I stuffed the excess wires against the backbone (center). My buddy normally used this on his MF2 truck so I wasn't at liberty to just chop off the wires or I would have if it wasn't going to be put back in the truck. That would have made installation easier for sure.
Mike Dana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:23 AM   #7
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

You should be able to mount it similar to how losi does its XXX-S RTR brushless vehicle as it has a similar chassis layout. You probably will have to cut a hole however in the body.

Good luck!