R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-08-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default HELP WITH CLASS PROJECT PLEASE!

Hey guys...

I am in an engineering class- and I have no experience in this field.. so I thought I would seek it from the best :-)

I have to make a car of some sort than is under 10" in diameter... It must go up 20% grade... must go through a gravel track... and go through 2" of water.
We get 500 dollars.

I was going to ask for advice on parts, design, etc.
we have to build the remote.

We are going for a design currently that resembles a dune buggy.
Any suggestion on cheap parts/good design ideas?
Water is the biggest problem really. and it really isnt even that. haha.

Thanks for any help guys.

-Anton

Feel free to IM me on AIM, Destroythenseek
Destroythenseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

I would probably base it on something like the Team Associated RC10T4, or at least look to it for ideas. Check out www.rc10.com for some design ideas. Do you have to build ALL the parts for the chassis/powertrain? Or just the radio? Need some more details.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

help already!

:-)

well, we're allowed to buy the engines, servos, etc. within the car itself we need to do all the wiring.

oh! another part is... we have to put sensors on it...
Our group has decided to go ... audio/video (babymonitor) smoke (smoke alarm) motion sensor and light sensor.

I'm making a 3d render of it, ill post the picture of the "basic sketch" tonight.
Destroythenseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:35 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It sounds like for what you are needing to do that you would be money and effort ahead to just buy a new Traxxas Stampede.They come with all the electronics ready to run-all you need is batteries and a basic charger.Here's a link- http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXNJJ0**&P=0

You're not racing it so there is no need for any "high end" race stuff(you'll find a lot of that on here!).Do a search in this forum and in the onroad forums for "waterproof" or "waterproofing" and find plenty of tips on sealing up the electronics(in Europe they keep on racing if it rains).

Good luck-sounds like fun!
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Which engineering class? In my intro to mechanical engineering, we had to design a vehicle that did a figure eight that started and stopped in the middle and totally drove itself. The kicker was we had to design the whole thing and not use any store bought chassis.

As for design, I second the 1/10 truck idea. I think a buggy my be too low slung.
Associated SC10.2, RC10B2, RC10T2, RC10
pumpkinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745

the stampede idea that DrOLDs os saying is a good idea, but you dont need one as nice as his if you are just using it for a project. get the cheaper version for about $20 less. heres a link ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXNUA9**&P=7 ) it has a mechanical speed control. which cant get wet, but for what your doing, it seems like it would be a plus on grade. as of building a controler. i have no clue. sorry. but the stampede comes with everything you will need except batteries and all. good luck

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:52 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745

o and with the mechanical speed control on the stampede i showed. it will still be able to go through 2 inches of water. but you shouldnt let it spray into the body. good luck

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:14 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroythenseek
I'm making a 3d render of it, ill post the picture of the "basic sketch" tonight.
Can't wait to see it. One of my professions, other than slacking. Requires the use of AutoCad. More specifically Mechanical Desktop, or Inventor, for the more fortunate. Anyhow, 3D rendering is my thing.

As for the Traxxis, well... That would be cheating. Besides, doesn't the car need to fit within a 10" sphere?

Sounds like fun... Oh to be back in school again. If you only knew.
jgroenhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:59 AM   #9
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Wink

Build a mini monster. Use monster tires, old Kyosho type swing suspension like their mad max thing. It is easy to duplicate without very involved parts for the drive train. Swiper controller for speed and a small servo.

Can you buy axils? Tires?...

Get us a little more rules info and we can better help you.
TEX
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:02 AM   #10
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to tex1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroenhof
One of my professions, other than slacking.
How can anyone afford to slack that lives in CA? Now here in Dallas, we can really slack and CAD on the side.

TEX
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote