R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-07-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Angry Help!!

ok i just bought a traxxas rustler, i was awesome but then it would just stop responding, so i went back to the hobby shop, they said the receiver and crystal were bad and that they would replace it for free, but i ended up spending a little more to get a better receiver and crystal, they installed it and i brought it home started to drive it and when i would accl. it would stutter then take off, but now when i accl. it just stutters, this only happens when the wheels are "bogged" down, if i hold the car and accl. it is fine if i place it on the ground it just stutters around not really going anywhere any ideas?? thanx in advance
gold_coin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Time for you to get into Maitenance.

Go buy a can or two of motor cleaning spray, a few brushes, springs, and a soldering gun. Also ask for a Comm stick.

You will need to clean regularly (often) and run that comm stick quite a bit.
The motor will slow down, and you wont even know it. Until you clean it up that is.

You can find pretty good instructions at just about all motor makers web sites.
It's a peice of cake.

John G
jgroenhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

it appears that the "stutter" only happens when the battery is worn down, if i install a fresh pack there is little to no stutter, is this still a cleaning problem?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:00 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You seem to have found your answer.... the stuttering means it's time to charge the battery.

If the truck is pretty new it's not a cleaning issue. It is a good habit to clean the motor as needed but I don't think that's the deal here.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:57 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

how could that be ready to charge if i only have been running the truck for like ten minutes using a 3000 bat
Old 11-08-2006, 11:00 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Sounds about right on the runtime.
ahsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:50 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

thats not making sense if before with the original receiver and all that jazz i could run for a good 20 to 30 min with NO stutter at all
Old 11-08-2006, 11:54 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

+1
...10 minutes on a 3000 does sound about right, I can get 15-25 minutes on matched IB 3600's and 3800's. Cleaning, depending on where you run at, should be about every 5-6 packs, if it is really dusty, more, if it is wet, not as much. Asphault running is still about the same, if outdoors, or maybe even more frequently, and indoor, never ran indoor onroad, but I would assume the same. The motor cleaning/maintainance and having a metric ton of batteries is the plague that all of us flashlighters deal with.
HTH
Rod
gatermaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:00 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

ok well ive read that this could be caused my the engine being to hot which it is hot (im running stock gearing) i can hold the engine for about 5 seconds then it starts to burn, and ive also read of people having problems with the titan 12t burning up you dont think the motor is fried? also it could be caused by a bad capacitor..... my plan is to clean it out real well then see what happens, if the stutter continues maybe get a new motor maybe a cheapy and see if there is any stutter and if there is none, then maybe drop some more money into a nice motor.....any suggestions
Old 11-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745

might be bad cap. might be bad motor. might be bad ESC. check your drive line. might be something in it. might have a bearing out of place or a rock or somethign in it, making it harder to turn. i wouldnt think the reciever would be a problem though. not if it constantly did it. unless there was a bad connection to the battery. which means you need to check your plugs. and make sure all wires are completely connected.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote