R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Suggestions for an offroad electric rtr?

Well i've decided to get into the r/c world and i have my eye on the team associated t4rs-rtr. i want to start off with electric as this will be my first serious r/c that i have ever own. is there any other 1/10 electric rtr's out there that aren't too far from this price range that could be better than this one? also the cheapest i could find this one for is 229 shipped. any thoughts or opinions? thanks in advance.......

forgot to mention that this will be for messing around in the backyard and with friends, no serious competitions or racing for now till i build up some skill..........
Jookmasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

T4 will be an awesome truck for bashing or racing. The losi also would be. The losi you can get rtr with a brushless in it but I'm not sure of the cost difference. I recommend brushless to anybody and everybody if it will fit in your budget. If not either truck with brushed motors will be excellent for what you want to do and also if you decide to race. The regular losi rtr should have a nicer radio than the t4 comes with. I'm an associated guy so that's the truck I recommend : )~ But looking at all the options out there is a good idea.

Ok here's a link. I guess it's quite a bit extra for the nice radio and brushless: losi brushless rtr

Here's the regular losi rtr losi rtr

And here's the t4 rtr: T4 RTR
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

in terms of upgradability, is the losi just as upgradeable as the t4rs?
Old 11-05-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I really couldn't say as I've not run a losi. But I would imagine it is. These are the top two elite trucks of the racing world and either one is a good choice for someone to drop some $$ on.

Again I'm not positive, but I think with the T4 rtr it would take less to make it into a full blown FT (their top kit) than it would to make a losi rtr into their latest and greatest truck.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

cant go wrong with the LOSI XXXT or AE T4.

the losi far and above has much better electronics in their kit, hands down, not even close.

in reference to make them "full blown" race kits as someone mentioned, their hopped up kits require the same items, threaded shocks, titanium turnbuckles...etc...etc... Losi uses Lunsford titanium turnbuckles which are much stronger than the AE ones, threaded shocks are nice but really not needed, especially if this is your first car. both kits use different plastic for their race kits, I stress the word "different" and not the word "better"...if you are matt francis or Brian Kinwald you will tell a difference in handling with the different plastic, otherwise as a regular driver you will realize the "upgrade" plastic is stiffer and more brittle and breaks alot easier than the RTR plastic.

look on ebay for new T4 kits or watch towerhobbies.com coupon specials.

if you want a losi horizon is the main place to get it besides ebay. if the prices are even within $50 or so the electronics in the losi are worth it. the brushless kit would be good too, no maintanence for the engine and longer run times.
mach51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #6
Tech Addict

After racing both trucks for some time now, I would have to say go with the T4 RTR. It is a great truck and parts are in almost every hobby shop you walk in.

TJ
rc_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:32 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

thanks for the suggestions/opinions. i think i'm set on the t4 as the price of the brushless losi is a bit too much. i guess my next question is to which charger to get. i figure that there are numerous battery companies and that the mah will be the major difference. but the charger is something that should outlast the battery in a sense? any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.................
Old 11-07-2006, 02:22 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

I would also give ebay a try. You might be able to get one of the full option trucks already assembled for the price you are going to pay for that RTR. Just a thought.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

well i thought about the ebay thing but i sorta wanted to start out with something new as i didn't want any surprises. i've been keepin an eye on ebay but no luck so far.

any opinions as to what charger to get though? nothing to outrageous but i don't mind spending the money if it'll get the job done properly. thanks in advance
Old 11-08-2006, 08:53 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Duratrax ICE charger is the one that I would recommend. This is one of the best bang for the buck chargers. Also, a head up on the T4. They are notorious for breaking front arms. I would recommend an Losi XXXT-MF2 if you can get a hold of one. I love my MF2. It is very durable and handles great too.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

the ice charger seems to have everything that a charger could possibly have. but is there anything else that is fairly decent without the 130 dollar price tag?
Old 11-12-2006, 02:27 PM   #12
Tech Addict

MRC offers great chargers at an economic price.
My main advice would be to GO TO YOUR LOCAL TRACK. I'm biased, but I would not steer you wrong. The reason for this suggestion is many fold.
First off, consider that even if you're just 'bashing' a day at the track is infinately more enjoyable. You meet new people and have lots more fun. We have timing/scoring to keep track of your progress, and everybody is friendly and helpful.
I don't know how many people I have met that have spent hundreds of $'s on their stuff to just 'bash around in my backyard', and wind up with a shelf display. They just got bored with it. R/C should be a social experience, wether you're serious or just looking to blow off some weekday tension.
Also consider the vast knowledge waiting for you. At the track you will meet every level of experience, racing and just having fun. Any problem you come across will be considered by the same people that sold it to you with genuine concern.
Lastly I can't stress the social aspect enough. We have lots of families that come week after week to enjoy our sport. They never race, but have a blast anyway. And they like me feel that 'the more the merrier.
mfishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:12 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

need some help

i am looking in to getting an rtr 1/10 stadium truck not sure what to get between these,losi xx-t,Team assoc t4, traxxas xl5 or duratrax evader st not sure how they compare. looking to do some racing on a oval dirt track/ some street.
g_spot24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:41 PM   #14
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to MaTT32756

one thing about getting a Team losi RTR truck is them have weak turnbuckles in my opinion..i have a XXX-NT 2 RTR which has the same turnbuckles and i bent about 6 or 7 after the first 2 weeks..so i would suggest if you got a team losi go ahead and upgrade to a set of Lunsford titanium turn buckles..that is my personal opionion.
MaTT32756 is offline   Reply With Quote