R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-02-2006, 02:13 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via MSN to TeamDeweyRacing
Default Mamba 10 scale BL

im looking at getting the mamba Brushless for my BK2 but i want to know if there are any down falls to it. ive had some problems with my novak one, i keep spinning the shaft off the magnet, does the mamba have the same problem?
Old 11-02-2006, 08:47 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

there is a thread on in here somewhere, about 2 pages or more, do a quick search and you can read all about it,
HTH
Rod
gatermaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:45 AM   #3
Team Tekin

The biggest downside to the Mamba is it's size. The esc is just big. Check out Tekin's new R1 and R1 Pro. They are miniature compared to the Novak, LRP and the Mamba.

www.teamtekin.com
Randy Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:09 AM   #4
Tech Adept

I have a Mamba 5700 in my B4 and it's a blast to drive. Don't let the size of the ESC scare you off. Thats a load of crap because when your car goes this fast, it doesn't matter if it weighs an ounce more.

The car goes so fast I had to gear it down, because it was to fast for my local track.

The size of the bar the pinion attaches to is a little long. For my B4 I needed a motor spacer to make everything fit properly.

Alot of people on this forum HATE the mamba, but I question if they have ever driven one. As for the Tekin it may be better than the MAMBA when it comes out, but TEKIN doesn't have a ESC & MOTOR out that you can purchase right now!

My only complaint with the MAMBA is the fact if I really want to tune to a track good I have to have a laptop at the track. However, the USB connection has me spoiler, because I have never had the ability to program a custom throttle pattern. Track tuning the ESC was something I never did untill I got the MAMBA. Before I just use to get a setting I was comfortable with and use it at every track.

I would just like to say I wasn't dissapointed with my mamba.
Spoook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:11 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Randy what is the ESC to big for? Why is size a problem? Or do you mean weight? And why would weight be a problem if the Mamba is already to fast for your track?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

Last edited by Dick Trickle; 11-24-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Dick Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 05:40 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Pike
The biggest downside to the Mamba is it's size. The esc is just big. Check out Tekin's new R1 and R1 Pro. They are miniature compared to the Novak, LRP and the Mamba.

www.teamtekin.com
The Mamba is average in size. The Tekin, is not even available. Who knows when it really will be too. Empty promises over & over from Tekin. Lets get a date on this "phantom" product.
AETC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:30 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to builthatch

i have the mamba max 7700 setup for my xxx-t and it's just plain nasty! no cogging, resolution is super high, silky smooth. on 6X4200 and 18/86 it's simply too fast with too much torque. you will find yourself getting extremely adept at fine throttle control as on any surface it will light them up extremely easily. i am afraid i've overdone it by getting the 7700- it's just too much for a 2wd stadium truck.

temps are on the low side. the motor has yet to get hot enough where you can't keep your finger on it for many seconds. the ESC barely gets warm during bashing.

the adjustability with the Castle Link is awesome. I've played with it and it's definately effective and allows incredible adjustability to tailor it to your specific needs. I feel with the 7700 pretty much no matter what you do, other than maybe voltage limiting, will yield too much power for most applications, other than 4wd touring car.

the ESC is def not too big, esp. for an off-road application. I have only two beefs about the whole system-

1. the BEC is 5V. it's not adjustable. I understand why they chose 5V (because some servos are not built for 6V), but i don't like how it can't be regulated differently to allow for 6V if you need the transit speed 6V can give.

2. the USB port is on the long side of the ESC, so that means that on a typical offroad tub or semi-tub chassis, you can't acccess the port unless you un-attach it from the chassis. that is a PITA.

solutions?

1. add some sort of a switching regulator to allow the user to choose between 5V or 6V

2. put the USB on the short side of the case
Old 11-05-2006, 01:03 AM   #9
Tech Adept

I put velcro in my car and my esc are easy to swap. So quick tug and I can plug in the USB.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:44 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to builthatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoook
I put velcro in my car and my esc are easy to swap. So quick tug and I can plug in the USB.
what kind of velcro did you use? because i used velcro brand, the white stuff in the yellow carton and it makes the esc sorta tall and wobbly, doesn't stay put to well. to me, it seems the velcro, especially the soft side (which is the side on the ESC) is high profile (tall) and doesn't adhere to the other side of the velcro.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I just wanted to throw this in regarding the size of the Mamba ESC.

It takes the exact same footprint of my Novak GTB and its' capacitor.
The mamba fit in the exact same space on my AE FTTC4 as the GTB.

You gotta include the cap when looking at ESC's that need it if size is what yer looking at.

That considered, the Novak GTX + cap (and fan) is A LOT bigger.
cfwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #12
Team Tekin

The Mamba esc is going to have a hard time fitting on say my Yokomo MR4bx chassis. I have the G11 on it now and it's a tight fit. Today's TC's are tight on space, look at the Tamiya for example. True race cars have space at a premium by design. In offroad I agree we tend to have more then enough space on most platforms. I'm not worried about weight so much. Most of the time we add weight to the car so this isn't an issue. I'm not posting to start arguments about what someone else prefers.

The USB port sounds like it's not as "convenient" as it could have been.

The new R1 and R1 Pro have a 6v 3 amp bec. Today's high end servo's are demanding this kind of power. Tekin is delivering. Tekin will be able to show off it's efficiency since there's no need for a heatsink or fan. The Gtx has already been noted to be a problem fitting it under some car bodies do to the need of the fan.

The things I tend to be concerned about are those I use for racing. Tekin will have a temp guage on board, something that no other manufacturer is doing. Won't that be invalualbe for seeing where you are as far as possible thermal's?! I'm a racer not a basher so this is where my interests lie. I want my stuff light, small, and efficient. Tekin will deliver all three. On top of that simply using a battery bar or solid wire accross the motor posts will allow only two wires running back to the motor instead of all the motor wires like the Novak or the LRP.

I've driven most of the brushless systems out, some that aren't. Mamba included. It drove great. I didn't like the brakes when I tested it but I'm sure if I had more time to play with I could get them where I wanted them. The size did turn ME off, but that's me.

Hopefully Tekin will have them out to team drivers soon, next few weeks. I'd imagine the general public will see them very soon after that. The Team will knock down any other programing changes and we'll all give feedback before it'd considered done. Tekin is not known for throwing a product out there that isn't right. If that means having some patients so be it. Ask some of the first Novak brushless guys and they'll tell you the growing pains that the system had...
Randy Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:01 PM   #13
Tech Adept

I used an industrial strength velcro. I'll get the name of it for you tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:34 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Grow your hair back in a week, it can cut through cans, it's like a fishing pole in your pocket, grill fat free hamburgers, lose 30 pounds in 30 days!

You can always tell who is sponsored by the hype to fact in some of these posts. Why do so many threads turn into Tekin ads lately? Tekin may be great but it's not out yet. It's sensorless from what I understand so comparing it to a Novak/LRP is apples to oranges. If you are excited about Tekin coming back to r/c thats great.

Spare us the Tekin marketing in the MAMBA thread.
Rysuleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:44 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_67

If you are going to run the Mamba in a 2WD offroad vehicle, make sure you use firm inserts and tape the tires to reduce balooning. I ran the Mamba/5700 in a MF2 and the tires balooned so much, there was only about an 1/8 of an inch of rubber contacting the ground at full throttle and it was very unstable. I had to dial out 15% of thottle ATV to keep the thing on the track. Too much power is a good problem to have.

I have also used this setup in a XXX-4 and an Xray T2 and had no problems with size or fitting.
Paul_67 is offline   Reply With Quote