R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #16
Team Tekin

The original poster had asked about downfalls. That's all I was commenting on. Brushless to Brushless comparing is a comparison regardless of sensored or non sensored. A lot of people don't know that the Tekin is due out in the very near future.

As far as being sponsored goes, I chose Tekin. I don't have to run for them. I happened to meet the owners at a trade show and we've been friends since. Before this I ran all LRP. I don't need sponsors to pay for my racing. I have a real job for that. Don't make my post to be an advertisement. Someone asked for downfalls so I replied. IF I wanted to be an ass about it I could start quoting all the people that are posting their problems with the sytem and insert it in this thread....

Last edited by Randy Pike; 11-06-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Randy Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:32 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's great to be hyped up over a product but your post sounded like an infomercial. All we are missing is the magic chamois and the Australian accent.
Rysuleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:31 PM   #18
Team Tekin

I suppose it could be misconstrude as hype. I've driven most of the brushless systems out there. I ran the Mamba, LRP, and Novak's back to back. Sometimes I knew which system it was sometimes not. It was nice to see how close they all were. It's come a long way since the first Novak system. All I'll say is that no matter what we did to the esc's the Tekin just felt so "brushed" that if you're a club mod racer you can throw it in and instantly feel at home... I guess I'm more proud of some of the new products since I had first hand input into their development. Yeah, that's it! Proud!
Old 11-06-2006, 04:10 PM   #19
Tech Rookie

I purchased my mamba systems because I had always had good luck with my CC brushless ESC's for planes.I love my mamba systems I own 2 7700's one in a B4 and one in a XXX4G+.The mamba system is very adjustable.You can adjust the motor to what you like or what is comfy for you.Between ESC options and gearing choices you can get just about whatever you want.To the best of my knowledge there is no other brushless system on the market as flexible as the mamba.

As far as downfalls in the mamba system I have not found ANY.Like someone else said I use industrial strength velcro,if I need to adjust settings its a breeze.I've never had a problem with the ESC coming loose.I have been mounting ALL of my ESC's & RX's with the industrial velcro for several years.

As far as durability the mamba systems have held up very well for me.No issues at all.Complete satisfaction right out of the box.
slink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:10 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

For the velcro go to a local wal-mart and they sale a velcro-tape in their industrial section. I have honestly hever had anything come lose from it once and I have been using it for the past 4 years or so. In off road the tape will slowly become lose and collect dirt under it, thus it will slowly loose sticky surface over time so the actual vecro tape will need to be eventualy replaced. However, it does an incredible job of keeping the esc and reciever mounter in a chasis.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:13 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what size momba shoulf i put in a 4 mod i dont want over kill i want fast but drive able. like some thing in the 6.5 novak brushless power range.
badxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:37 PM   #22
Tech Rookie

Send a message via MSN to TeamDeweyRacing

ive seen the test model for tekins Brushless and im not impressed Tekin elecronics are here in idaho and Jim (owner) tests his stuff at the local carpet and off road track, it is not even a quarter inch smaller than the mamba so size doesnt matter too me its all performance
Old 11-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

badxlt:

The 5700 should be just right for you based on what you asked for. If it's a little too much it's easy to use the software to dial out a little even without touching the radio.

RandyPike:

I don't mind the Tekin talk... it's good info imo. We understand you are biased so we can judge your posts accordingly. I'm very interested is seeing how good the Tekins are...
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:02 AM   #24
Team Tekin

Understood Dr. I'll admit I'm biased to some extent. I will also admit to being a racer. I won't run a product that I feel may cost me a win, cost me time with my laps, or run a product that I won't stand behind.

The test esc that I'm sure you saw was an early proto more then likely and if you were to check out Tekin's site you can see the R1 Pro next to a G11 Pro. Clearly smaller then the Mamba. Again guys, I'm not bashing Castle. This is how most of you are taking this. I actually ran one of Castle's set ups before most of you did(during testing of all the current systems, Novak,LRP, Castle,etc.) Amazing how some companies enjoy the competition! They will show you theirs if you show them yours so to speak. I was more then happy with it's performance. It was very fast and was really easy to drive. My only "complaint" was how the brakes came on too hard for my taste. All of which I'm sure I could have dialed them to my liking had we been able to play with the software and settings. We were not given that ability at the time.... All I was alowed was radio adjustments. My only gripe is a small one and that's it's size. That being said it's a great set up and since I'm a shop owner I'd have no problem selling it right next to the Tekin. I just don't think that the average to wannabee pro racer would turn down a smaller unit...
Old 11-08-2006, 12:52 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The size of the ESC... that is not NEARLY as critical as the weight of the motor. Especially if your attempting to be competitive running 2wd Buggy or Truck with the thing hanging out behind the rear axles. In a 4 wheel or an X-Factory 2 wheel the weight is probably nice to have.

The only brushless motor out there "today" (.... just for you Randy ) that has a handle on the motor weight issue is the Reedy Neo.

Motor weights
Mamba Max: 198g
Novak Velocity: 191g
Stock Brushed motor: 172g
Modified Brushed motor: 168g
Reedy Neo 2-Star: 162g

I attempted to work with Castle on a light weight "Competition" version of the Mamba, but they weren't interested. Too bad......
Mike Dana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:30 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Actually, I have noticed bruhsed motor weight varies by type and brand.... some are almost as heavy as a mamba motor. I think the D4s are like 185g...

As for the size of the Mamba, it's about the same footprint as the cyclones I ran for years. It's not a huge controller but its a goofy shape/design for sure.

I modified the case on mine ot fit my B4 nice... I chopped the case like 40's roadster and now it sits lower and really looks smaller and less goofy. The usb jack should be in a different location for sure... it they moved it from the bottom and made a case that fits tight, the mamba would be really short even with the heatsink. The design/layout could be improved a lot to look and function better, and I hope in the future they choose to do this.

The drag brakes are one of the best features actually.. they are completely adjustable... as strong or weak as you want and they are smooth.

I have had some issues with the mamba that I haven't ironed out yet... there is a throttle glitch occasionally, where it seems to apply brakes or reverse rotation for just a fraction of a second.... it "backfires". It happens when you roll gently on throttle like when you come through a sweeper... let off to coast and then roll back on throttle. If anyone else has seen this please reply here....
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:53 AM   #27
Tech Rookie

Send a message via MSN to TeamDeweyRacing

im putting it a BK2 and having more weight in the chassis would be better with as light weight as my buggy is i put weights on the RPM bumper to hold it down already.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:25 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

I also am adding 1.5 ounces (~40 grams?) of weight to the rear (1 oz. between the rear arm mount and the transmission case) of my stock classed B4. The extra weight of the Mamba behind the rear wheels probably isn't ideal but one could remove the weight and have it be A ok.
AaronR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:16 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The size of the Mamba Max ESC is not much bigger then any of the others on the market. The performance gain you get from this ESC is definetly worth the extra size.

You should have no problem running this in your BK2 buggy.

There is also a new thread in company discussions for questions, comments and suggestions.

Castle Creations

Thanks,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote