R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-01-2006, 08:31 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Novak Millennium Pro ?'s

I have an ice charger and just bought a novak millennium pro charger. I am not very happy with it I seem to get more in my batteries with my ice than I do with my pro. I have ver. 1.01.033 software in it. I seem to get false peak on the pro and the same pack on the ice works good. Is there any way to set the peak detection per cell on the pro in the nimh setting I see it in the nicad ones. I am thinking of selling it and getting another ice or a pulsar 2. Any ideas

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=86fordman&ftab=AllFeedback
fordman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
Tech Regular

The only way to change peak detection is in the nicd linear mode. For 6C 3300's set it to or as close to 48mv, all IB cells 18-20mv.
Hot Bodies, HPI, Novak Electronics, JR Propo, Lunsford, Skipgear.com, Planet R/C, Vinyl Graphics Unlimited, JConcepts, B-Mods Racing, CRCRC, King's R/C Raceway, Avid R/C, GMK Supply, & Pacific Coast Hobbies.
SlobbaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:32 AM   #3
Tech Master

so if I change it in nicd mode it will use that in the nimh mode?

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=86fordman&ftab=AllFeedback
Old 11-01-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had a CE Turbo 35 and a Pulsar Comp. I bought an Ice becuase I have LiPo's. I sold the CE Turbo and Kept the Pulsar and the Ice. If I had to buy a new one, it would be an Ice hands down. Great price and great functionality!!!
ddcarter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:38 PM   #5
Tech Regular

No.....if you choose nimh mode it has a preset peak threashold that you cannot change or even view to see what that value is at. Just set your charger up in nicd mode, charge rate 5.0-6.0amps, then use the peak threshold values I posted above.

The nimh mode was created a very long time ago when the nimh cells were new and they were not as stable/safe (Panasonic cells) as the nimh cells we use today. So it was more or less sort of a failsafe profile recommended for people to use so that they did not damage/over charge their cells by setting the peak detect improperly. Being nimh cells are still probably not as stable as the older nicds, that may be why manufacturers still recommend the nimh profile so that they are not liable if/when something does go wrong due to someone charging a battery with improper settings even though the nimh mode may not be charging the battery fully to be on the "safe" side.
Hot Bodies, HPI, Novak Electronics, JR Propo, Lunsford, Skipgear.com, Planet R/C, Vinyl Graphics Unlimited, JConcepts, B-Mods Racing, CRCRC, King's R/C Raceway, Avid R/C, GMK Supply, & Pacific Coast Hobbies.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:22 AM   #6
Tech Master

So charge ninh's in nicd with the values above and it will be ok and not hurt the packs. I will have to try this.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Yep...then more info that's good to know is if your packs start to vent/pop/crackle sound on IB cells sometimes that is normal and they are peaking or almost done charging. If you don't want them to do that then lower the peak detect to the next lowest setting. Also if your batteries normally charge perfect(charger settings = right) then you go somewhere that is a lot hotter like Florida etc....., you may need to lower the peak detect. If your packs false peak often or they charge fine but are slower then odds are the peak detect is too low on one charger than the other. If your pack temperature is too low when it's done charging or you go from a hot to a lot colder place to race you may need to turn the peak detect up to the next setting. Ideally the battery should be like 120* when it's done charging, higher peak detect = hotter batteries.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:30 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

your batteries will be fine in the nicd mode of the pro, thats how i charge my packs and it works fine, and just so you know, its hard to compare numbers from 2 different types of chargers, i can charge the pack on my gfx and my pro, and the gfx always shows more mah in it, but they discharge the same
kartermdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:04 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default millenium pro charging.......

Interesting.....how about the newer 3800 and 4200 cells, I have two M- pro's and an integy 16x2 (mostly for reciever packs and such) but also the occasional practice pack....any more info would be great.
oldguyzrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:19 PM   #10
Tech Master

I have charged 3300/3700/4200 and all are ok and charge well. My 3300's work better on 54mv per pack