R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-15-2006, 01:44 PM   #46
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i would like to add my 2 cents about the finals event. first i think it's a bold move to hold an event like this, in this type of arena. hats off!!. but, this sport is generally not a spectator sport, to the degree that you could possibly offset the cost with admission. $15.00 doesn't seem like an awfully high price to pay if you are interested in the hobby, did this cover the whole day! i don't think that if it was free to the public that you would have a lot of people show up. i think it's great trying to get the sport to another level, but i don't believe it will ever be to this level. rc seems to me to be more of an underground sport, sure all of your xtreme sports started the same way, but people could relate because the average person participated or could relate to some degree, so these sports did increase in popularity.
i would have liked to been able to race or even attend this event. i race on the pro series and our track hosted in bossier city this year. i not trying to slam or offend by what im going to say, but i think the sport needs to give back more to the racers. think of what kind of event you could have had if it wasn't held at this arena. our track hosted the futaba nitro challenge back in october, the sponsors were awsome, each racer received a goody bag that was worth more than the entry fees, this did't include all of the raffle prizes just for the racers. we wanted to put on a first class event all the around.
i admire carlton for what he has stepped out and done. i just think there are some other things to consider when trying to make a great event.
jlo8864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:09 PM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default sorry, my $.02

I really like the fact that people are posting constructive feedback, and that RCPS actually listens. It seems this doesn't happen often enough.

I hate to split hairs, but RC is NOT a sport. It's one of my pet peeves when people refer to RC as a sport. (exits soapbox)

regards-
TC_Tuner
MRX4-X F180 Cobra Zipper Kart Yokomo BD Cup Racer FM1e Recoil M18 Pro Scalpel dNaNo Baja 5T HB D8 Vorza ERevo Savage Flux SCX10 GT2 T4 Slash Ten SCTE Blitz ESE HB Cyclone D4 Mini ERevo Vendetta ST Mini T Micro T
TC_Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:03 PM   #48
Tech Elite

TC & Jlo,

You’re correct, it’s important to listen.

Since the “Off-Road Championships”, we’ve learned many different things about running events in hi-profile public venues. This knowledge will be used in subsequent “Championship” events.

As far as Sport vs. Hobby is concerned, ask yourselves these questions:

Is hunting a sport or hobby?
Is stamp collecting a sport or hobby?
Is drag racing a sport or hobby?
Are model trains a sport or hobby?
Is no limit “Texas hold-em poker” a sport or hobby?
Are “eating” contests a sport or hobby?

Is a sport something that takes dedication, preparation, practice, skill and some luck?

Anyone can read a book and learn what stamps have more value, but do stamp collectors work on their collections and push their limits in order to beat the person next to them?

Can you develop the talent to control a train while it’s in flight over a quad jump?

If hunting is a considered a sport, does the “target” ever break your gun because you approached it wrong or the bullet landed on the wrong spot or angle.

You see, you can go on and on, the bottom line is a sport is something people do in competition with other people. While driving an RC car by your self is a hobby, racing against others with rules and regulations is a sport.

I think what confuses people about the entire sport vs. hobby concept is that RC racing might not athletic but at the same time, after an hour main, are you exhausted mentally. Is hand/eye coordination something that takes stamina?

If we want the “mainstream society” to take RC racing seriously, it must start with us; if not we’ll always be considered men & women that play with toys.

Don’t get me started with “Toys”
I have an LT-1 Vette in my garage that my dad calls a “Toy” too 

Jeff Vargas
RC Pro
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:59 PM   #49
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i guess what i'm trying to say is that it doesn't matter to me if the "main stream" takes this sport, and i mean racing serious or not. but, it does matter to me that promotors of off racing events do take me and other racers serious. what i'm talking about is the "bang for the buck". i think carlton gave the racers this. he provided a quality event for everyone who attended. we all know racing isn't cheap, and i think that in it's self keeps the sport from growing faster. to hear people talk, you would think the sport is on the decline or something, i think it's just the opposite, it's just not at a rapid pace. i just don't see rc racing being a spectator sport, and i don't care. but, i know if i'm not wrenching on a car or truck, i'll be leaning over the fence watching fellow racers duke it out.

jlo
mugen mbx5t - vspec
losi eight - vspec
jlo8864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:00 PM   #50
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default hobby vs sport

Ha! Jeff, I really enjoy an articulate debate. Sounds like you've gone down this road before

In order to not derail a good thread, you have a PM!

regards-
TC_Tuner
MRX4-X F180 Cobra Zipper Kart Yokomo BD Cup Racer FM1e Recoil M18 Pro Scalpel dNaNo Baja 5T HB D8 Vorza ERevo Savage Flux SCX10 GT2 T4 Slash Ten SCTE Blitz ESE HB Cyclone D4 Mini ERevo Vendetta ST Mini T Micro T
TC_Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:46 AM   #51
vr6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i see that i have started something that has really either stirred the wrong pot or opened up a great conversation. i went to the metro on saturday to watch the mains, i was really impressed with the track, with the up close seating and the once again awesome announcing of scotty earnst. but the thing that really pissed me off was that i could not return into the building if i walked out. i sat in my seat at around 9:30, by 12:30, i needed to go home to check up on my son. when i walked out the door, i was instantly told by a door attendant that if i wanted to come back, i was gonna have to pay for another ticket. that policy has nothing to do with the fine folks at rcp, but with the metro centre.

i was also shocked to see my local hobbytown usa. those people are complete a-holes, they want nothing to do with anythig r/c racing. i have been into the store many times with absolutely no one working there with any knowlege of r/c cars or trucks. i have heard from the mouths of many parents telling their kids that they are gonna have to get a different hobby because playing with their r/c car in the street or in the dirt is to expensive. i could go all day about the piece of shi$$ place.

Also my local track Race em r/c. Rockford Illinois
vr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:48 AM   #52
Tech Elite

Vr6,

I understand your frustration with shops that don’t promote RC racing.

We can only hope that they can see and realize the business opportunities they loose every day by not supporting the sport of RC racing.

Seems like a great shop in your area is needed.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:31 AM   #53
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6
i was also shocked to see my local hobbytown usa. those people are complete a-holes, they want nothing to do with anythig r/c racing. i have been into the store many times with absolutely no one working there with any knowlege of r/c cars or trucks. i have heard from the mouths of many parents telling their kids that they are gonna have to get a different hobby because playing with their r/c car in the street or in the dirt is to expensive. i could go all day about the piece of shi$$ place.
I didn't want to go into that much detail, but I agree with everything you say here. I worked at the shop in their Machesney Park Mall location back when I was 16 for a while. I was the only one there that really "knew" the ins and outs of the racing aspect of the hobby.

I was really hoping that with the owner's son being a part of the day-to-day, that they would start to improve. Obviously they haven't. I have not been inside that hobbytown for at least 4 years now - and that was only because I ran out of paint in the middle of a body. I would rather drive to Milwaukee...
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:40 AM   #54
vr6
Tech Addict

i can tell you from personal conversations with the owner of hobbytown and his son jon that they have both said that they could close up hobbytown and open up an r/c only store and be very successfull. they have told me that that side of the store does very well with selling traxxas, hpi, losi, associated, and a few other rtr. but that's it, i know that they push the nitro thing very hard, but what really upsets me is that they sell the more expensive stuff to the newbie person, telling them that they have to have it, and not educating them about there new hobby. i once saw them charge $45 to change a spur gear on a t4 rtr, the dad told his son that he was gonna have to take it easy or he would have to find a different hobby. that made me very upset. i met the dad and son outside and told them that i would like help him and his son anytime for absolutely no charge. i have been into r/c cars for now 19 years. i have also with another longtime racer offered to buy out hobbytown, have consulted with reps from hobbytown in nebraska, have also worked with other hobbytown owners to build a buy-out plan, but he will not sell,he makes to much money at it. in 1999-2000, he grossed over a million dollars in rtr, fuel, tires, and parts. everything a backyard basher would want is there. his son is a complete dumb-a$$, 4 year business grad, tells me how he would build a track.they still employ zit faced high school kids that aren't into anything related to r/c. i could go all day about this, but i get to upset about it. we need a good hobby store in town, just not them anymore

Old 11-16-2006, 12:38 PM   #55
Tech Master

The finals was an awesome experience. I saw a post about maybe some would not stay interested, or could not sit an watch, that they would rather pit or be involved. On Sunday, you had a field of world class drivers running 3 or 4 45 minute mains, and an hour long buggy A main. It was very entertaining. When you have the class of drivers (Tebo, Drake, James, Maifield, Wheeler, etc.) ANY RC enthusiast can stay entertained IMO. It was awesome to watch them go wheel to wheel down the 180' straightaway on an indoor track. Good stuff. I found myself wishing I was in the stands with a bratwurst (dang they were good!)

Thanks to the RC Pro folks for a great event.
pitpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #56
Tech Elite

The truggy main was very intertaining. Taylor and Josh were really close for the entire race.
ROAR NATS - '16 & '09 Electric Offroad/'14 & '08 Carpet Onroad/'11 1/8 Electric
'16, '11, '08 BRL NOVAK National Finals
HobbyPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:00 PM   #57
Tech Adept

ANY VIDEOS?
BlueR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:25 PM   #58
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default I Went There

I have not raced for several years, but with this race so close to home, I had to go along with my son (who was free (age 7)). I did not mind the cost. I was there in the early evening on Saturday.

It was a bit unusual to me to not be able to wander near the pits to see who I knew there. It would have been nice to be able to talk more about local RC with other folks there.

If I were new to RC, I might have left there not knowing how to get into RC or where to race or watch another race in the future. Luckily, I asked around to the right people, as I might be interested in picking up on racing.

The track was huge. The seating was awesome. Good job.
BobWoodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:30 PM   #59
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6
i can tell you from personal conversations with the owner of hobbytown and his son jon that they have both said that they could close up hobbytown and open up an r/c only store and be very successfull. they have told me that that side of the store does very well with selling traxxas, hpi, losi, associated, and a few other rtr. but that's it, i know that they push the nitro thing very hard, but what really upsets me is that they sell the more expensive stuff to the newbie person, telling them that they have to have it, and not educating them about there new hobby. i once saw them charge $45 to change a spur gear on a t4 rtr, the dad told his son that he was gonna have to take it easy or he would have to find a different hobby. that made me very upset. i met the dad and son outside and told them that i would like help him and his son anytime for absolutely no charge. i have been into r/c cars for now 19 years. i have also with another longtime racer offered to buy out hobbytown, have consulted with reps from hobbytown in nebraska, have also worked with other hobbytown owners to build a buy-out plan, but he will not sell,he makes to much money at it. in 1999-2000, he grossed over a million dollars in rtr, fuel, tires, and parts. everything a backyard basher would want is there. his son is a complete dumb-a$$, 4 year business grad, tells me how he would build a track.they still employ zit faced high school kids that aren't into anything related to r/c. i could go all day about this, but i get to upset about it. we need a good hobby store in town, just not them anymore
V6 - I worked there when I was in Highschool. I have a lot of the same gripes that you have. However, I just want to correct you on one fact - his son is not a 4 year business grad. His son is a 5 or 6 year business grad ( I forget which. ). Even though it's becoming more of a "norm" to grad in 4.5-5 years, by his dad's own account - he partied to much to get out of there in 4.

When I was there, the shop did not charge for labor, only replacement parts. However, your car was usually at HobbyTown for about a week. You dropped it off, and it was "fixed" as soon as they could get around to it. For a while, I was one of the main guys fixing the busted up stuff that came in. The MAJOR problem with that was that a lot of people became dependent on that. Broken car? Oh just take it to get fixed! Finally they started trying to explain how to fix it instead.

I for one can tell you that if that hobbytown would be sold, and list "Under new ownership" on their sign outside and/or advertisements, it would gross a lot more than it does now! For every one person that I know that loves that place, I know at least 2-3 that only go there when they are desperate.

I could go off on this all day.... but I hate to take this even more off topic. PM me if you wish!

----

Back to the RC Pro...

Bob - I agree that it would be "weird" to not be able to browse the pits, being a racer and all. While I did browse the pits ( I have media connections through RCTech & RCDriver ), I will say that I completely understand why they would keep the pits "secure." I beleive Jeff said somewhere around 600 people ended up attending as spectators. No matter if that number is right or wrong - imagine ~600 random people off the street browsing through the pits around YOUR expensive equipment. As racers, we tend to trust fellow racers to the fullest extent. You know that everyone around you pretty much has expensive equipment, and the trust factor is pretty high. Toss in random people from who-knows-where, and I know I would at least keep a closer eye on my stuff!

Thats why I'm glad that they had the trade show upstairs. While maybe you couldn't browse the pits - you could at least see the types of vehicles that were run upstairs.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:36 PM   #60
vr6
Tech Addict

rc pro........ thank you for bringing this event to my city, i was really excited when i first read about in rctech. loved every minute