R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

they could have charged entry fee, but maybe $5 a person for a weekend pass $15 is ridiculous, seriously...

-HB Racing-Pro Line Racing-OS Speed-MKS Servos-VP Race Fuel-Hobbywing-SANWA-J&T Bearings-Tony Screws
SupermaxxRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:08 PM   #32
Company Representative

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Doug: Nice Pics(as always)

Doug and Scotty = Great Events!!!!
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:08 PM   #33
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed
The cost of renting a facility capable of “showcasing” the “Sport” of RC racing to the “mainstream” American population is astronomical. We're talking well into 5 figures!

The intention at the RC Pro Off-Road National Championships is to attract the attention of spectators & “Corporate” America to RC racing as a viable investment and potential future advertisement medium.

The concept is to attempt to hold a world-class RC racing events in arenas with all of the creature comforts that Americans are accustomed to, not what we racers must endure & subject our loved ones to. (Read it as: Porta-lets, filthy bathrooms)
In order to grow the popularity and accessibility of RC racing to the “masses”, the Rockford Metro Centre was chosen as an ideal location.

To pay $15.00 to spend an entire day watching Nitro-Burning RC cars may seem steep for some of us racers but it’s a necessary evil if the sport is to grow into the American Sport it should be.

For those that attend the RC Pro “Finals”, thank you very much.
We’re making RC history!

Jeff Vargas
RC Pro
Marketing & Events
www.rcprosites.com
With that being said...

The $15 entry fee for spectators is still not justified by these creature comforts you speak of. Masses of people go to events like the fair, concerts, races (real cars) and have to sit in the heat or cold and use the port-a-lets for the entire day. The entry fee for those events did not provide creature comforts! Point being, giving people an alternate to a port-a-john is not justification because spectators will pay to see an event regardless. The differance is that most of the aformentioned events have been regularly attended by the average american and are more main stream.

I just think that if your not careful your going to make the sport unaffordable for the average income. I think that you have to remember to keep things in proportion and look at the people that support this sport and what they are capable of financialy. I think it's better for anyone that is after the potential R/C racer to let them in for free. If the venue is too expensive to allow free access to spectators and potential customers for the vendors then find a cheaper venue!..
HookaMega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:58 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

I highly doubt that greed had anything to do with the $15 dollar($16 for me) entry. I got to sit in a padded seat looking down at the track. The track was spectacular. I've never seen any track like it. The announcing was top notch. I was only there for 3 hours and I got my moneys worth. I was entertained.

I wasn't a gas racer before but I will be now. So what's $15($16 for me) compared to what I'm about to plop down for an 1/8th scale and the fixins.
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:07 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It was said before, and I will say it again. It might not have been the RCPS organizer's that put this in place. Go try and rent out an indoor stadium that has requirments by law to be staffed by XX amount of people in order to be able to open to the public. The price is not something the average racer could line up for one day, let alone a week. Going to see a movie is alot more money than $15/person by the time all is said and done.

We had a race in my area that was inddor at an arena and we didn't have a choice. We had pit passes for the racers and staff, everyone else had to pay to get in. That's something that was set up by the arena, not the event organizers.

And guess what? Te people who came were more than willing to pay. Out of the 1000 or so people that came out, I beleive it was 3 of them decided not to pay. Pretty decent numbers in my opinion.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:34 PM   #36
Tech Elite

We hope you all had exciting and enjoyable experiences at not only the Rockford Championships Finals, but at all of our races nation-wide during 2006.

Everyone at RC Pro has worked hard to organize the very best national racing series possible in order to escalate our hobby into recognizable and legitimate American sporting events.

Several have posted similar opinions on these threads regarding displeasure over spectator ticket sales & pricing. While I can sympathize with that mindset, the price of $15 per entry is really minuscule in comparison with the investments we racers have in our personal RC equipment and the costs of the venue.

Together, we represent a little known and often misunderstood segment of the American population. We have all tried to explain our enthusiasm for RC racing to the “general” public with great resolve, only to realize “they just don’t get it”

We ran radio and television advertisements and were able to sell quite a few tickets to spectators. We had another great RC racer turnout and the competitors we center stage. RC equipment manufacturers, distributors and dealers had the opportunity to educate everyone present during a “big race” environment.

The sport of RC racing has a long way to grow, but the City of Rockford Illinois” has been exposed to Off Road Nitro RC racing and will never be the same. I hope local hobby shops are able to capitalize on the opportunity to sell more RC racing product in their areas due to the fact that we were there.

On behalf of RC Pro, I wish to congratulate of our 2006 Off Road National Champions and every competitor in RC Pro Series for our greatest racing season to date.
You are all Champions of RC racing!

For those of you that attended the 2006 Finals, just wait until the 2007 Championships.

We’re really going to go wild!

Jeff Vargas
RC Pro
Marketing & Events
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:42 PM   #37
Tech Elite

where's buggy pic..???
arghh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:36 PM   #38
Tech Apprentice

Anybody know where and/or when all results for all classes will be posted?
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:15 PM   #39
Tech Adept

wow what a track setup. too bad about the admission fee?

how many paying spectators was there? looks empty.

you would of thought they would of forgone the few thousand $$$ made in spectator fees, insteaf have free entry to attract possibly a thousand people there, and make money by selling $3 hotdogs and $2 drinks and ice-cream.

oh yeah watching RC cars is BORING, unless you are involved or barraking for someone, then most kids watch for a heat or two, then it becomes just the same thing....
BlueR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:07 PM   #40
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueR1
wow what a track setup. too bad about the admission fee?

how many paying spectators was there? looks empty.

you would of thought they would of forgone the few thousand $$$ made in spectator fees, insteaf have free entry to attract possibly a thousand people there, and make money by selling $3 hotdogs and $2 drinks and ice-cream.

oh yeah watching RC cars is BORING, unless you are involved or barraking for someone, then most kids watch for a heat or two, then it becomes just the same thing....
The hotdogs were $4 a pop.

Mind you, the cost of the concessions is completely out of the controls of RC Pro Series. That is just the cost of a hotdog at the Rockford Metro Centre. I'm sure that the Metro Centre required them to use their concessions anyways.

I will say that I did go, and did enjoy my time there at the event. I spent time both in the pits and up in the "stands" - and was quite impressed with how well this event was pulled off for really being the first of it's kind. I must admit though ( and this is my constructive critisism ) - that I probably would not have paid the $15 however. As a racer, a spectator, and a member of the "media" - I would rather see the cost upset through some other medium than charging spectators.

I'm also curious to whether the HobbyTown USA that was attending the trade show was there for parts support, or if they were just there to sell kits at the trade show? Unfortunately, that HobbyTown had not even heard of many of the vehicles that were being run there that weekend, let alone attend for parts support. This in no way is meant to reflect the RC Pro series, but only a reflection upon this local hobby shop who has a history of having a hard time supporting anything to do with racing.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:47 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Troy, your constructive criticism is very much appreciated.

The intention of using the Rockford Arena to hold the RC Pro Championships in a public venue was to increase exposure and to add to the appeal of RC racing in general.

I personally invested a huge amount of effort into the event working with the arena personnel and equipment manufacturers to promote both the event & sport for no monetary gain at all. I just enjoy RC racing and wish to see it grow in popularity not only in America, but world-wide.

Wile some have expressed discomfort with the concept of spectator ticket sales, if the sport is to evolve into the “mainstream” it must fund itself. You must remember, it was held in a public arena.

The official spectator attendance numbers are not verified yet, but it appears to be approximately 600 paid entries. We RC racers should all be proud of this accomplishment, as the majority of them were sold to individuals new to our sport.

It’s my sincerest hope that all who displayed attended & participated in the RC Pro Off-Road Championships and all RC Pro races nation-wide have enjoyable and rewarding experiences. Thank you all very much for a great RC racing season!
Old 11-14-2006, 03:42 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to D Hunt 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR6

I'm also curious to whether the HobbyTown USA that was attending the trade show was there for parts support, or if they were just there to sell kits at the trade show? Unfortunately, that HobbyTown had not even heard of many of the vehicles that were being run there that weekend, let alone attend for parts support. This in no way is meant to reflect the RC Pro series, but only a reflection upon this local hobby shop who has a history of having a hard time supporting anything to do with racing.

Oh my you hit that one on the head. In august when I got my xxx-cr they didn't even know what that was and it was out for 2-3 months by then. It seems all they have are RTRs that are nitro and mini's. There's just no interest in racing around that area. All the tracks are about an hour to 2 hours away. I'd actually say they almost have more trains, goofy games, legos, and stuff like that. Airplanes are also popular. I was surprised to hear from you they were there though. I'm actually surprised they even knew about it.

In other words I'm trying to say the 2nd (maybe 3rd) largest city in Illinois needs and rc track.

David
D Hunt 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:15 PM   #43
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tfrahm

(The lone voice of an "outsider"...)

I'm not a participant in this series, and I'm not even a Nitro racer, but I think the idea of using the arena sounds like a very good move...

Years ago, in Kansas City, every year there was an RC race (carpet oval and onroad) at the annual "World of Wheels" car show event. Thus this race, too was held at a large arena. Racers and spectators all had to buy tickets to the host event (racers got a discount, but did then pay an entry fee to race)...

The key was VISIBILITY! All day, every day, the racing area was surrounded 3-4 deep with SPECTATORS. These were people who never saw an RC event before -- they asked questions, they watched the action, they got 'HOOKED'... I figure 99% of RC racing takes place in hiding -- our hobby is invisible to the public. ANY attempt to bring the hobby out of hiding and into the light of day is to be praised and encouraged...
Biff Racing Team #420 (Ah... The "good old days"...)
The local indoor Offroad Track: The RC Race Barn
TLR22-3.0, TLR22T-2.0, TLR22SCT-1.0
tfrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:39 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Thanks we feel the same way.
If the sport of RC is to grow it must be visible.

The 2006 RC Pro Off-Road National Championships results have been posted, follow the link to check out everything.

http://nitrooffroad.rcprosites.com/s...Results%20Page

All the best!

Jeff Vargas
RC Pro
Old 11-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #45
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Thanks Jeff!

For next year, do you plan on returning to rockford?
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote