R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-30-2006, 08:55 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (71%+)
Default LRP ESC IPC V7.1 vs Quantum Competition 2 and 3

I'm just getting into racing and I can't figure out which ESC to get. The only thing that I could figure out was that the IPC V7.1 is the biggest vs the QC2 and QC3. What do I need to look for when it comes to ESC's? I would like to get a Top of the Line ESC, but the QC3 cost about $170 and the IPC cost about $130 and the QC2 about $170. The IPC has no motor limit, the QC2 motor limit is over 5 turns, and the QC3 is the same way as the QC2. If it was up to me I would get the IPC V7.1 but I dont want to get the wrong thing. Let me know what you think.
YokomoMR4BX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Get the Quantum Competition 3! This is the newest of the speed controls. The IPC 7.1 is a old controller that predates the QC2 and the QC3. The QC3 replaced the QC2 and is LRP's flagship racing esc for brushed motors.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:12 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

SIZE and PRICE.........ENTRY level vs PRO level..............however, they are all great ESC (I used the V7.1 for outdoor mod racing and used the smaller better QC2 for indoor carpet racing....12th scale)
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:26 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara
SIZE and PRICE.........ENTRY level vs PRO level..............however, they are all great ESC (I used the V7.1 for outdoor mod racing and used the smaller better QC2 for indoor carpet racing....12th scale)
The V7.1 is not an entry level ESC. There are factory drivers out there that still use it on a regular basis. You might be able to pick up a v 7.1 for much cheaper than $130. I would not get the QC2 right now, pick up a QC3 if you're looking for top-end stuff.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

The Quantum Competition 3, is small, has lipo voltage cutoff ability, nice if your planning on the lipo battery route, also has solder tabs for the power wires. Has different profiles for tuning. Newer, most recommended, and will have better future factory support.

The Quantum Competition 2 , is small and has solder tabs. Also has different profiles for tuning.

The v7.1 is extremly reliable, and heavy duty, very easy to setup and use. Although it dosen't have solder tabs, so easy wire replacement is out, and its larger than the previous two. Has plug-in current limiter chips that have varible throttle curves.

All will work well and can win any race. Apply a decal around the seam of the case to aid keeping the case together.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:33 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (71%+)

I'm looking to do outdoor off road racing with my new Yokomo MR4-BX. This will be my first time racing but I dont want to spend the money on the new QC3 but I still want to have something that will get me in the top three. If anyone has a QC3 for sale I'll take it off their hands but my chances of finding one used is very slim. I've been building and bashing R/C for over 9 years but I really don't know anything about racing, so I could use so advice. Oh, should I run the battery staright to the ESC or put Deans on the ESC and Battery. Dose it really make a difference? I would rather use the Deans connectors. Thanks for comments.
YokomoMR4BX is offline   Reply With Quote