Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
good used 8th scale buggies, on a budget. >

good used 8th scale buggies, on a budget.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

good used 8th scale buggies, on a budget.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)
Default good used 8th scale buggies, on a budget.

If this is a re-hash of existing threads, forgive me , but I need to ask:

What are some good used 8th scale buggies to look for, and what should I expect to pay (with motor). I'm too new to the topic to tell the good from the bad, and there seams to be a ton of choices. Ok if it makes it easier what would be a good used choice, say for around $300 or less? If I could I'd just go to the LHS and buy the most expensive set-up but I can't so, looking for some pointers. Thanx for any and all suggestions
Old 10-23-2006, 04:49 AM
Tech Regular

xray xb8 or the xray xb8 tq they go for about 200-300 in the forsale section. these buggys are sweet and are the top of the line
Old 10-23-2006, 06:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Since it's the end of the nitro season, XB8 rollers are going for right at or around $200 on Ebay. TQ's are a little more. The cheapest I've seen a new XB8 TQ at an online store is $550. If you know where to look a Losi 8ight can be had for $500.

Be wary of buying used engines online. There is no telling how many gallons really went through it, and even if it's a low number who knows if the person ran it right etc. I've heard that the new $150 O.S. VG is a good little engine. It replaced the $100 RG recently.

Nitro is expensive. Expect to shell out around $1000-$1500 if you don't have any equipment and are planning to race competitvely.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Thanx for the advice, and two of the funniest avatars on the net. I'm a electric TC guy, nitro has me way lost on what to look for. Used motor bad I guess...
Old 10-24-2006, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

you can also pick up the PRO version of the Jammin buggy for around $200 on ebay. If you look hard, deals are out there. I just bought a like new Factory Team Version Jammin, 1 gallon Vspec, OS 2050 pipe, Hitec Digital servos, Starter box, Spektrum Receiver and spare parts...all for around $500...you just also have to be ready to pounce on good deals, cause if you dont someone else will...like me lol
Old 10-24-2006, 06:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Lets make a deal!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=133500
Old 10-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

The Losi eight is one of the best deals going.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Tech Adept

I would suggest looking at the XB8, Jammin, or Losi 8ight buggies.

I have an XB8TQ and love it!
Old 10-24-2006, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

I ran The Xb8 series for two years. and by far it's the best built car I've ever seen. It's drives nice also. Just wait until Xray Refines the next one. I'm sure it will be just as good as anything and the quality is second to none.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I was happy with the mugen prospec, Handled the track well once I got it dialed in. I now run the Jammin pro....Easy setup, Easy to drive and is so responsive. I dont have to fight the jammin to get it around the track like I did with the prospec.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The CEN Matrix PRO is a great 1/8 scale buggy. Try ebay to get in the $300 range.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

just make sure you can get parts easy for whatever you buy.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I second the Matrix . I got the RTR setup new direct from CEN for $316 shipped.

They have a program going on where you send them any vehicle in any condition and they will send you one of there new matrix's for the various prices they have listed.

You can also get NIB or New ones on ebay dirt cheap too.

Horizon carries they now, so if you have a LHS that can get you things from them, you shouldn't have a problem getting parts.

The RTR comes with a nice radio and servos (MX3 radio, 144oz steering and throttle servos) .
Old 10-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Surely the BIG thing with secondhand stuff is Condition and then the quality of the car in the first place........

I recently bought my first secondhand car ever a Mugen MBX5 Prospec. Whilest on the whole it wasn't in terrible condition it wasn't in anything like the conidition the advert would have led you to believe.I have since replaced EVERY plastic part on the car and the shocks also,If it wasn't for the nearly new RBC6 engine i got with it and the Spektrum handset i would have been well out of pocket.

I'd have to suggest anyone thinking of buying Secondhand dose it with there eye's open. Expect to have to shell out at least $50 straight after getting the car to put right the small problems, Then remember the running gear etc. isn't new and will probably need parts at the next rebuild.

Basicly remember your buying 2nd Hand and expect to get just that a 2ND hand car, that WILL need further money spendng on it. But if you buy carefully you CAN get a bargin.

I managed to win the first 2 meetings i entered with the MBX5 :+) But i had also spent $150 or so ontop of the purchase price to get it back up to spec before i raced it .........

As for what to buy good condition Mugen's,Xray's or Kyosho got to be the way to go ............?!?!?!?! Not to say if you can find something else you shouldn't consider it !!