R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-20-2006, 06:14 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kreidel
Default Is the Xray XB8 dead?

I havent seen anyone talk about it and now with the 8ight out is the XB8 dead?
kreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Everyone is talking about the 8ight because it's new. I'm a TQ owner. I'll admit that the fanboys talking about how great it is has me curious.

However, this isnt the best place I've found to talk about the XB8. Try the official Xray forums or Sgrid.
Rysuleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to fatboy
Wink

what is sgrid website.
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:54 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

The week I bought my 8ight one of the best drivers I know told me that an XB8 he tried the past weekend was the best handling 1/8th scale he had ever driven. Talk about buyer's remorse.. I'm pretty happy with my 8ight but I think the Xray would've been my next buggy if it weren't for Losi coming out with one.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:07 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy
what is sgrid website.
There is conferences on www.sgrid.com. New users have to pay to register to sgrid due to some people abusing the free conferences in the past. I would have to say that you can get more information quicker on the official Xray forums. I paid for Sgrid and while it has some information it also goes largely unmoderated. I don't think it's worth the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka
The week I bought my 8ight one of the best drivers I know told me that an XB8 he tried the past weekend was the best handling 1/8th scale he had ever driven. Talk about buyer's remorse.. I'm pretty happy with my 8ight but I think the Xray would've been my next buggy if it weren't for Losi coming out with one.
I guess I race with some rich people because my track went from having tons of Xray cars to having tons of Losi cars. There is so much hype now. I hope it works out for them but I still want to beat them with my Xray hehe.
Rysuleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:49 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

The only reason the Xray chat isn't big on this board is because Xray has a big forum on their website. The Xray buggy seems to get more and more popular everyday, until the Losi came out, lol. Here in Canada its been the number one buggy for the last two years without a doubt. Awsome quality, amazing duability, and great support.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:57 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Even when im a Jammin pilot and i love it, i tested the XRAY XB8 TQ last weekend (the car from the guy who took the 2nd position on the last stage of the mexican nats, being my car on the first place )
and i must say i loved the car, it handles great, i dont think its gonna go dead soon ...

just my 0.02 cents

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:35 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

I have an Xray 8 modded to TQ, and I love it. 1 of the guy at my local track has one, and I let him drive mines and he says that my car is unbelievable. I've driven the losi 8 and even though it flies high and turns sharp, It just dosent feel real. The xray has a solid, grippy feel to it. I race losi guys all the time, and dont notice any advantage cause my xray leaps and flies just as high as their cars.
maxxteezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #9
Tech Adept

There are about 6 guys that I race with that all have XB8s. I love my TQ. One of the mags stated that the biggest positive with the XB8 can also be the biggest negative, that is the adjustability. There is so much adjustability built into the XB8 that it is amazing.
mattyk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Couple quick questions that I dont feel like searching through page after page after link after link to end up with nothing.

Are the original xb8 arms compatible with the new tq car? Is the length the same as well?

I'm not too crazy about the little clips for the arms and would rather have the older ones instead.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

The new arms are longer, and much stronger. I don't know if the old arms are any wider though anyways, so you will probably still have to use the wheelbase clips. I've never seen anyone have a problem with those clips though, mine held up great all year zero issues.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:15 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayeddy
Couple quick questions that I dont feel like searching through page after page after link after link to end up with nothing.

Are the original xb8 arms compatible with the new tq car? Is the length the same as well?

I'm not too crazy about the little clips for the arms and would rather have the older ones instead.
The arms are the same width, the difference is the arm mounts. The TQ mounts allow you to move the arms on the chassis end (via the clips). The old arms while the same width are shorter and not as thick. I have never had problems with the clips either. If you don't like the clips you could make spacers up out of some old gas tank posts. Just drill a 4mm hole all the way through and cut them to length. Then just slide them over the pin on the desired spot (front or rear). No more worries about losing clips!

To answer the question in the thread.....NO the XB8 is not dead!!!! Don't forget Yannick was 1 lap up on the field at eth worlds when his fuel line was cut by the flywheel. Not to mention Xray NEVER stops researching and improving their cars. Look at there on-road cars, sure it took a couple years but their T2-007 pretty much dominates touring car. Same will happen with the 1/8 scale....give it time.
ccm399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:48 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Thanks for the info ccm , I guess it's not the clips I have a problem with ( unless I lose one in a race) , but the arms themselves. The new arms seem rather sloppy compared to the older car, which is the reason why I bought an xray in the first place, hence my username. The tolerances are tighter than other brands, and being a machinist by trade, I'm a little anal when it comes fit and finish.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:50 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Xray XB8 TQ owner here. This was my first 1/8 scale purchase (I have been driving 1/10 electric and gas truck for MANY years). I am NOT dissapointed at all. Parts are not as super easy to get as the losi 8, but who needs parts when they do not break . The XB8 will NOT dissapoint you!!!

Jason K.
jjkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:16 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayeddy
Thanks for the info ccm , I guess it's not the clips I have a problem with ( unless I lose one in a race) , but the arms themselves. The new arms seem rather sloppy compared to the older car, which is the reason why I bought an xray in the first place, hence my username. The tolerances are tighter than other brands, and being a machinist by trade, I'm a little anal when it comes fit and finish.
I know what you mean about the extra "slop" but from what I understand Xray did this on purpose. The old arms used to get "bound up" after a while. I remember reading an article ( on Xray's site) that talked about the learning curve Xray went through when doing the proto type testing, I guess the first car was so precise that after a few tanks of fuel the arms would hardly move!!! They went back and "loosened up the car" and it started working much better, I think the TQ arms just continue down this path.The new arms do not do this. Also because of Xray superiour plastics the hinge pin holes don't wear. I have many gallons of fuel on the TQ arms and the slop has never gotten worse nor have the arms ever bound up. Other companies have to run their holes tight because the plastic wears pretty quick. I have been racing 1/8 scale for years (super athlete was my first) and have never seen a car hold up as good as this car!
ccm399 is offline   Reply With Quote