Wiki Posts
Search

4wd competitive

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 04:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default 4wd competitive

I race mod truck at a track with 30 consistent racers and on average I am a top 5 driver with my T4. Many of the other racers also race 4wd with ALL of them running BJ4's. Since I can't afford the BJ4 and do not have access to seeing any other 4wd run, does anyone out there compete at a high level (C-E Mod Nat level drivers) with a Losi XX4 WE against BJ4's?

BTW, my track is hard pack clay with medium to low traction and a good amount of smaller holes and bumps.

THANKS
Old 09-29-2006, 05:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Of, course the XX4 WE will be competitive with the BJ4!! It made the mains at the Nats and Worlds also. However with the description of your track, maybe a XXX4 G+ may be the better choice.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

All of the current 4wds are good. At my track we have Bj4's, Kyosho, and the xx4 and xxx4 Losi's. Seriously you'll hear this all the time. Get whatever your local track can support. If you want to be different get something different. But don't expect to get any setup help at the track and you'll probably have to stock up on parts.

If you don't have the money for a new Bj4, look for a used one.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

If you can find a good deal on an xx-4 (any edition) you could later upgrade it to an x-5 which is a even match for the BJ4 WE. The kit to upgrade it cost 229.00. This car combines the best of both the XX-4 and XXX-4. Check it out!

www.4wdrc.com
Old 09-29-2006, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I've seen them all win at my track this summer. We had xxx4, xx4, bj4, bj4we, academy, predator. They were all fast cars and ya they all broke now and then too. There's a guy around here that makes delrin front arms for the xx4, if you get one send me a pm and I'll give you his email if ya want.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

Xfactory also has a fix they sell for the a-arms on the xx-4 and x-5. Or you could just fill in the outside triangle in the front arms with epoxy like I did. Works great.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

x-5's are awesome.- DO THE MATH.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Durability wise the Academy probably is one of the best, I beat the crap out of it when it first came out and had plenty of comments from some XXX-4 drivers who said that there buggy could not handle alot of the abuse I put it through.

The new model is even better, it handles as well or better than the Pro version did and has solved alot of the issues and tweaking you had to do with the older car. Also, MRC's service is top notch. You get pretty good bang for your buck too, considering the vehicle is only $208 at Ultimatehobbies and with some better shocks and 2 o rings is ready to rock.

Another good buy for the money is the ZX-5. Lots of goodies on it for the $300 price, only thing is I heard that it can be alittle fragile but this may be earlier models.

Good luck with whatever you choose, the vehicles nowadays give you alot of choices.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I ended up with a good deal on a new XX4 WE.

One question now, I did not realize the car was a limited re-release...

Should I be concerned with parts availablity? I don't want to be stuck in 6 months with a car I can't run b/c I can't find parts for it.

Thanks,
Old 10-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

www.4wdrc.com is THE web site for all 4WD electric. You'll find lots of parts there for your xx-4 and an active forum board with experienced racers who know 4WD.

Anyone who has a wheeler or is interested in the fastest class in off-road should check it out.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I wouldn't worry about parts. People keep buying them, losi will keep making them.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

The XX-4WE is still a very popular car especially in Europe. Parts for it should be plentiful. You can also upgrade to the X-5 for a pretty reasonable price of 229.00.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I definately would not worry about parts. X factory sells em and being that the kit has been re-released part availabilty will be very high for a long time. I race mine very competitively with some of the best drivers in the state and don't do to bad. I am going to furchase an x5 kit shortly and I will let you know how it does. I'm in you same boat most of the guys at my home track race bj4's and I cant afford to for out that kind of money either.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

There are alot of good 4w's on the market nowadays, but it isn't a cheap class to race competitively.
If you just want to race and have some fun but aren't looking to clean everyones clock every weekend then you can compete and not spend alot.

Although the BJ4WE is the Dominant car right now, the stock XX4WE car is also an excellent car, as are the Yok, etc. The XX4 won a couple of titles on it's way to being replaced by the XXX4, which also won a World title, both have won TONS of national titles!
The X5 is also a good car in my opinion, but I don't see any problems with the XX4 drivetrain that make it a needed hop-up, more for the cool factor or to run something different then your racing buds.

I don't think price is an issue if you buy a XX4WE brand new for $350 and then the X5 conversion for $229 and have a $579.00 roller, saving money isn't a goal in that equation, winning races is.

Same can be said for the BJ4WE.

There are cheaper 4w cars, but 2wd or truck is cheaper still and RTR's are less then they are!
I race 4wd because it is the fastest, kind of like the F1 of Electric Off-Road!

...Jim
Old 10-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
I don't think price is an issue if you buy a XX4WE brand new for $350 and then the X5 conversion for $229 and have a $579.00 roller,

I race 4wd because it is the fastest, kind of like the F1 of Electric Off-Road!

...Jim
When we originally designed/made the X - 5 (2003), there were XX4 rolling chassis available used all over the country for less than $100; our idea for the conversion kit was that our customers would purchase a used XX4 + $229 X - 5 conversion kit and end up with a National Champion-caliber 4wheeler for less than $350. A quick check of everyone's favorite online auction site reveals this is still true. If a customer would like to go with all new parts, we sell an entire X - 5 on our site for $499; almost exactly what a BJ4 WE would set you back.

And I love your quote; electric 4wd is and always has been my favorite class; they're just so much fun to drive!

~Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.