R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-06-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless
Default Novak Nitro Servo Regulator (Help Please)

Hi ALL, I'm here hoping someone might be able to tell me what's up with what i've just installed in my Mugen MBX5.

Having decieded that running Lipo's to power the electric's is the way of the future i soon realised that i needed some sort of regulator, with Lipo reciever packs being 7.4v's an all. I was going to use the VXR Racing one as it's rated @5amps but then noticed it's ONLY compatable with Spektrum and One Futaba reciever. So after some more reseach found the NOVAK made a 3amp one that's susposed to work with all recievers .........

So i'm using

KO Propo KR-297FZ reciever (nothing works at all unless i move the power input from the BAT slot to either channel 1 or 2, this ain't any good as i need to use 2 servo's. I'm guessing the signal wire isn't used on that slot ??)

Also tried a NOVAK XXL Reciever, I can now power everything using the BAT slot but the servo's "judder" nearly all the time, but it's even worse if you move either servo. this all stops if you unplug EITHER servo

Servo's are :-

Steering Sanwa ERG-VZ
Throttle Hitec HS-645MG

Also tried a cheap and cheerful one i keep as a spare, all act in the same way

Needless to say the set-up works perfectly when using my trusty HUMP packs

My only GUESS is having 2 high powered servo's is overloading the regulator, but i wouldn't have thought it could be aimed at high end nitro market if this is the case ???? i really dont know how many amp's those 2 servos should be pulling ?? and i'd have guessed @ very little when there stationary.

Anyways if anyone can help it'd be great thanks

Rod
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
Tech Adept

I've heard of people who have run into this problem with nimh packs, that are below the threshold of the regulator -which would be the case if you use a 5 cell 6.0V hump pack. The load of the servo is may be dropping the regulator below it's cutoff, hence the "judder" experience you had.
sepirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:50 PM   #3
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

no no, Sorry you miss understood me. I get this problem using the Lipo + Regulator.

When using nimh's i didn't have the regulator installed and didn't get the problems.

Thanks for the thoughts though
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:28 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Good point. I miss understood. If it works with nimh and not with lipo, you should call Novak. They will help you out. Maybe you got a bum unit...
sepirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Earlier this year I had attempted the very same thing. I saw the "warning" on VXRs website, so I chose the Novak regulator. In my case, the servos worked fine with the buggy still, but once I started driving it, they'd act up. Eventually I even killed two servos. I have since gone back to NiMh. In talking with another racer, I was directed to the following site...
www.htbatteries.com
Click the Rx pack link and look for part # ht400.
The racer I talked to had no idea of the amperage, so I emailed HT. I received a reply within a day, on a holiday w/end no less...I was quite impressed. I still am using NiMh, but will likely try the HT regualtor. Anyway, in the email he stated that they are 5 amps and there is no limitation as for Rx's they can be used with.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote