R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-07-2006, 07:29 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Paul, Very true! It is a great way to race and keep costs low, buying used cars can save a ton of money!
Especially if someone knows the seller and that the car was complete and in decent condition, etc.

Of course this goes for every brand and doesn't only apply to cars either!

...Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:34 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

The main benefit of the X-5 is having a single belt verses three belts on the XX-4. This has proven to give better acceleration over the multiple belt systems of the XX-4. The suspension on the X-5 and XX-4 is the best there is and one setup usually works good for most tracks. The reason the BJ4 is the dominate car right now is the drivers that are driving it. J concepts has the luxury of using Team Associated's top drivers to drive for them. Greg Hodapp was able to take last years national title though using the X-5. The Bj4, X-5, and the new Yokomo are an the same level competition wise.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:02 PM   #18
Tech Elite

I wouldn't give too much credit to A/E drivers, they mostly run the JConcepts car because they asked to, when they could run almost any car in the world. Of course the drivers are awesome, as they were when Greg won last year(I think Greg could get some credit as well?).

But Peter Pinisch won the Euros, with Marc Reinhard(Tamiya) also finishing well into the A driving a BJ4WE for his first off road 4w race(I know of).

Dieter Schmid won the Nordic nationals with his BJ4WE.

Enrique Fucinos won the Spanish Nationals with his.

Scott Spear won the Tumbleweed.

BJ4WE's TQed and finished 1,2,3,4,5 at our last state series race.

BJ4WE TQed and finished 1,2,3 at our regionals(two years in a row).

None of these guys are A/E hottest wheels, same result.

Then there is the U.S. Nationals, Worlds, etc. But the car is winning in the hands of Club racers and World caliber drivers alike. I think it is the dominant car because it is the Dominant car also being driven by the dominant drivers, making things tuff for the competition.

With all that said, I think there are alot of good cars out, including the X-5 and others as well, the better driver will come out on top with any of the top cars. But I don't think the JConcepts car has been succesfull because of the A/E drivers, they just help.
Kind of like Schumacher and Ferrari, notice how Massa is doing, where is Barrichelo?

....Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
Old 10-08-2006, 08:16 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

I will be interesting to see how Brian Kinwald does with the X-5 this year since he is now driving for Xfactory.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
Old 10-08-2006, 08:22 PM   #20
Tech Elite

I hope that happens, BK is awesome!

I would like nothing better then to see Dirt get one more National title!

Maybe just wishfull thinking, but he was the man for a LONG time, it could happen!

...Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
Old 10-11-2006, 07:28 PM   #21
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sport10
The reason the BJ4 is the dominate car right now is the drivers that are driving it.
We are fortunate to have what I believe are the best drivers in the world racing the BJ4. But even if they are the best, do you think that they are so much better than Masami, Cragg, Easton, Robbers, Amezcua, Pavidis, Hara, etc. that they could still win with an inferior car? And win almost every major race?

As Jim pointed out earlier, the BJ4 has won a lot of races in the hands of many different drivers.
BradR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:54 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

First off, I am not saying that Jconcepts does not deserve credit for designing a great buggy. They did a wonderful job on the BJ4 and I actually thought about picking one up but the availability discouraged me. So I ended up getting the X-5. I, in no way saved money going with the X-5 just liked the design of the car and its availability. I have driven the BJ4 also and they are both nice buggys. I am a club level competitor and find the X-5 is a worthy competitor to the BJ4 in my experience. I believe that Greg Hodapp's national title proves that the X-5 is a worthy competitor for the BJ4 even at pro level racing.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
Old 10-12-2006, 08:14 AM   #23
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

honestly, all of the race level vehicles are competitive with each other. Main thing is the team you have behind it driving the vehicle. If the BJ4 or X5 had only Joe blow newbies running it against the likes of kinwald driving another vehicle, you know how that will go.

There really isn't any wrong vehicle to go with. Just find what you prefer in a vehicle and if you can test drive them and go from there.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:38 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Good posts!

Looks like we are all on the same page!

I just want the 4wd class to keep growing and continue gaining the respect it deserves as the fastest off road class in R/C! The big selection of brands will strengthen the class, so that is good!!!

I do wish some brands would be a little more unique, seems alot are taking the easy route and eliminating the development part of the equation. Saves them money, but does it help the racer and the class? Maybe that isn't their focus?

Off to the races!
...Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
Old 10-12-2006, 09:12 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to $rusty$ Send a message via MSN to $rusty$

Personally I think it's mostly the driver and doesn't depend on the car/truck/buggy that much..At my local track before it closed we had a guy with a XTM X-Cellerator who would consistently be in the top 3.

thercbarn.com
$rusty$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:04 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

don't rule out the kyosho ZX-5 either...

Pavidis is awesome and some people said that he had a good chance at taking this years cactus classic......
Ryper Hobbies
memyselfandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:51 AM   #27
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandI
don't rule out the kyosho ZX-5 either...

Pavidis is awesome and some people said that he had a good chance at taking this years cactus classic......
Pavidis is awesome, and he always has a chance at winning any major event.

Considering that Tebo TQ'ed all four rounds of qualifying though, I would have to think that he was the favorite to win.
BradR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:43 AM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Yea, Tebo is totally awesome. He is my favorite of the Associated drivers.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
Old 10-13-2006, 08:26 AM   #29
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to slammin

I just got a brand new in the box ZX-5 in a trade with some one, and I was wondering if anybody was having problems with parts braking. My local shop doesn't stock any parts so I need to know what parts I need to stock up on.I love 4wd racing and it just now starting to come back in my area.I the past I have ran both Losi cars and had a lot of sucess with my XX-4, I race it for an intire season at my local track and only lost 1 race.I also wonder how the ZX-5 handles, does it handle like a XXX-4.
Agama A215
Agama A215T
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:41 AM   #30
Tech Adept

This is a very interesting thread, I have raced 4wheel off and on for about 8-9 years and have driven quite a few 4wheel buggies. the xx4 is probably one of the best cars out, this car was ahead of it's time. The batteries and motors that were availiable when this car was new just did not have the capicity or power. The xxx4 is a fast car, I found that it was too fast for me and if I slowed down the car it was easier to drive, slow down a 4 wheel drive buggy is hard to do. I have driven the bj4's and other cars based on the tc3 platform they are good. The company I think made the best was schumacher, cat series 2000. They were great cars easy to drive and indestructable. Parts and info was hard to get. With all the other companies coming out with cars maybe they will jump back into the off-road racing again.
DAVE BERNATH is offline   Reply With Quote