R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-24-2006, 07:05 AM   #1
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy
Default Thinking of Going Brushless

I have been tossing around about making the switch . I was told by a fellow racer the GTB/6.5 combo is what to get . I run on med and small tracks so I don`t think I need to go any faster than the 6.5 . I wanted to get some input from a few that have them . Pros and cons . How long does the motor last and are there any parts that need to be replaced frequently ?
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

The 6.5 should be a good pick. I started with a 5.5 in my T4 which was a bit much and went down to the 7.5 which may be a little on the slow side. While I haven't had the gtb combo long, I've had the older ss5800 for a long time and the only maintaining I've done is oiling the bearings. The only replacement part I've used is a new rotor and endbell but that was by choice to get the larger endbell bearing and upgraded rotor. From what I've heard, if you end up overheating the Velociti motor you may end up weakening the magnet and needed to replace. If your club doesn't follow ROAR rules fully, the sintered rotor is a nice upgrade. I've only just started using it and I have noticed the motor seems to have a bit more power and definately more drag brake and stronger breaking. Even seem to run cooler.

I totally recommend the jump to brushless and if you combine with Lipo(again if your club allows), life will get easy. I just finished a 10 minute run using a Orion Platinum and only put 2400 Mah back in.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Brush less is the way to go, unless you like cutting comms, replacing brushes and losing a race because a brush got stuck. I finally made the switch a while back and will never used a brushed motor again. The torque of bl is unreal, no parts wearing out, longer run times and better top speed.
RAZ49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to thedominator

Brushless is great, I have had a novak 5800ss since it came out and it stillruns great. I only have to oil the bearings every now and then.

kuzo-did you notice a performance increase with the new rotor and endbell for the 5800. I want to get this on my next order.
thedominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:33 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedominator
Brushless is great, I have had a novak 5800ss since it came out and it stillruns great. I only have to oil the bearings every now and then.

kuzo-did you notice a performance increase with the new rotor and endbell for the 5800. I want to get this on my next order.
Somewhat. The rotor does seem to provide a little more speed but not a significant amount. I probably could have lived without it but the larger front bearing should provide a longer life. Nowhere near the improvement I noticed in the Velociti sintered rotor upgrade.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:43 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

kuzo-did you notice a performance increase with the new rotor and endbell for the 5800. I want to get this on my next order.[/QUOTE]

I installed the up-grade kit in my SS4300 and noticed more torque but the speed went down about 3 mph which is what the factory said it would do in both motors (4300/5800) but having more torque you can gear it up a few teeth and gain the speed back. The main reasons for the up-grade is the larger bearing for smoother running and longer life and the new rotor puts out more torque.
RAZ49 is offline   Reply With Quote