R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-23-2006, 09:34 PM   #1
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)
Default Pro's and Con's of the various 1/8 scale buggies

I am planning on gettng a 1/8 scale buggy next year. What I am looking for is a breakdown of peoples opinions of the various buggies available. This is NOT a bash fest of this one is better than this one because Losi Rulz, that crap.

What I am looking for is for opinions on the vehicles themselves, things you liked, disliked etc. The only comparisions between vehicles I want here are from people who have owned the vehicles they are comparing, and NOT bashing, just noting things that they saw were better or worse in there opinions.

So basically here are what I am looking at:

Kyosho SP2

Mugen MBX-5

Cen Matrix

Jammin

Ofna Hyper 8

Losi 8ight

Xray XB8

Those are the main ones I am looking at right now. This is for there pro level vehicles, not there RTRs.

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:54 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I had two and a half very happy years with a MBX-5 and the plastic is still tight. The gears are still in great shape and I have replaced all the bearings one time. The car's only real drawback is the shock bodies don't last as long as all the other parts in the shocks. It is very stable and easy to drive, there is one setup that with tiny changes works at every track in the world.

I hope my new 8ight makes me this happy as well.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:53 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Same here, MBX5 and very happy...
Need Track TShirts?
http://www.facebook.com/AmericanGFX
Nitroaddicts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:08 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka
I had two and a half very happy years with a MBX-5 and the plastic is still tight. The gears are still in great shape and I have replaced all the bearings one time. The car's only real drawback is the shock bodies don't last as long as all the other parts in the shocks. It is very stable and easy to drive, there is one setup that with tiny changes works at every track in the world.

I hope my new 8ight makes me this happy as well.
did ya jump ship?
sand geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:09 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Kyosho SP2
Pros: Very durable, parts are easy to find, World Champion gear!
Cons: Expensive
Old 09-24-2006, 04:49 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to hyper7vspec

next year kyosho will have the sp9 out

TLR - OMP/Modelflight - Orion - Proline - Nitrolux Fuel - Savox - HobbyWing - RCRS.com.au - Schelle - NVision - Ace Hobbies
hyper7vspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:30 AM   #7
Tech Champion

"did ya jump ship?"

Yes. It is time for a fresh car and I though I'd give the 8ight a try. It is pretty different in design from everything else out there and it made sense to me.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:48 AM   #8
Tech Master

Just to add, there is also the Team Magic M1 that may be in contention for top-honors, though I confess that I've heard absolutely nothing on the vehicle for well over a month.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:52 AM   #9
Tech Master

If your gonna get the Kyosho then i would wait as they are sure to have a WC edition.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:59 AM   #10
Tech Champion

For what it's worth, I think the Losi is the smartest buy in 1/8 right now. The car is proven and Losi is behind it. Looking at the price list for parts there are some that are way out of line (clutch shoes) but most all of them are well below what parts cost on other kite. Losi will not and can not let this car fail in the market. It will be well supported since it's a Losi and so far I am finding that all of the kit is of the highest quality.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:32 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka
For what it's worth, I think the Losi is the smartest buy in 1/8 right now. The car is proven and Losi is behind it. Looking at the price list for parts there are some that are way out of line (clutch shoes) but most all of them are well below what parts cost on other kite. Losi will not and can not let this car fail in the market. It will be well supported since it's a Losi and so far I am finding that all of the kit is of the highest quality.
I am not bashing you... I agree totally with what you are saying here. I run mugen right now but could see a losi 8ight in the future. I have liked every Losi car I have had. When is the first trip out for yours?
sand geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:59 AM   #12
Tech Regular

I agree with you guyz on the 8ight, it is a "smart" looking car. I have been very pleased with my Mugen. It is easy to drive and not much work has to be done to it. Plus it is built like a tank. The new Losi has really made some big changes and in my eyes seems in the right direction. CG plays a very important roll in corner speed and Losi has made that move to improve.
If I am going to jump ship it will be the 1st of the year. Just to see how it holds up in the mo. to come.
kyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #13
Tech Regular

i think youguys should give the losi sometime to prove itself in the hands of everyday drivers. adam drake is finishing just as well as he did with his jammin. i have had the chance to race against the 8ight and i really wasn't impressed, don't get me wrong it looks great out on the track turning laps by itself but when you see it on the track next to another buggy turning the same laps times it is really not as awe inspiring.

my pic for the question is the hyper 8 it is the cheapest car on the market which is a plus and it is also fast enough to finish in the a-main at the worlds. another plus about the hyper 8 is it is very durable and very easy to adjust it uses inserts all around to adjust geometry and when the car starts to get a little play you can replace all the inserts for $5 and no more play. It also includes in the box every part you could possibly need.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:48 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Rocket42,

I agree with you. Its the average Joe that will show the buggies true colors. Thats why I am waiting to the 1st of the year. You did say you ran with an 8ight. I don't know what level you race at but I would say the people that had them on the track had very LITTLE track time with it. I spoke with someone that stayed up all night putting it together so he could get some track time before a big race coming up soon. He said it still needs some setup changes.
I think the big difference will be the corner speed. CG
kyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:00 PM   #15
Tech Regular

i ran with the 8ight 2 weeks ago at the ofna sponsored race at rev. i raced in the expert class. there was 2 of them there ron rosseti's and another one, one of the designers for losi, i think i am not sure but i know he was either sponsored or worked for losi. so it wasn't with just someone who purchased a kit.

ron rosseti has been racing his for awhile now, so i am sure they had drakes revelation setup on. like i said they looked really fast on the track until they were next to another buggy
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote