R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-24-2006, 01:05 PM   #16
Tech Regular

I guess time will tell at the local tracks. How was the lap times or were they the same. I am guessing the same.
kyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:29 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I ran the mugen prospec for a little over a year and was verry happy with it. I have since bought a Jammin cr pro. I havent had it on the track yet, but I hope it proves to be a good investment.

http://www.texasboys.proboards36.com/index.cgi

My Feedback: http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=85596
Crashhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:58 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Old 09-24-2006, 10:48 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Finished a season with the XB8 TQ.
Very happy with it.
Pros: Extremely durable at any crash, good looking , very good fit and finnish, excelent manufacturer support (xray forum, online setup sheets, building and racing tips, reponsibility for manufacturer mistakes)
Cons: Slops generate pretty fast (i previously owned only an ofna hyper7 pro, but it was slop free compared to the xray after several races), hard to set it up at first (or maybe to get used to it).
Taurius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:52 PM   #20
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude19641
If your gonna get the Kyosho then i would wait as they are sure to have a WC edition.
The WC has harder plastic. So I would get the SP2 unless your running on a blue groove type track.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:11 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Mugen MBX5
I finished the season

Pros: built like a tank! One setup works on any track. The parts go together like a glove!!! Very easy to drive.

Cons: Never could get it on the fastest line. It always felt heavy. When you get it out of line the buggy will push.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:49 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurius
Finished a season with the XB8 TQ.
Very happy with it.
Pros: Extremely durable at any crash, good looking , very good fit and finnish, excelent manufacturer support (xray forum, online setup sheets, building and racing tips, reponsibility for manufacturer mistakes)
Cons: Slops generate pretty fast (i previously owned only an ofna hyper7 pro, but it was slop free compared to the xray after several races), hard to set it up at first (or maybe to get used to it).
I came to the exact same conclusions after a season of racing the Xray. It is unbelievably durable, but the reason for its durability also causes its fast wear. The plastics are super soft. All the metal on the buggy as held up very well though.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:22 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Hey Cain

Well I just recently had to make the big decision of WHICH BUG TO BUY and I decided on a HYPER 8.At the time I bought this buggy I had enough money for any model that I wanted so money was not an issue.I raced 1/10 in the past and was ready to make the jump to 1/8 and am so happy that I did.I made my decision based on a few factors and also some knowledge that was passed on by Rocket and a few of his friends.First I belive this buggy is about 1/2 to 1 lb lighter than some other cars which I think makes it more nimble but at the same time maybe a little nervous,which is right up my alley!.Being lighter also has other advantages like fuel consumption which during race time is very important.Lets say 20min main with my Vspec I only have to stop 2 times some of the others might have to stop 3 times.Lighter also means jumps higher and farther(good and bad).I like the thought of being the only guy at the track with a HYPER 8 but then again if I need some parts that I don`t happen to have on race day SOL.My local hobby shops do not carry many parts for any 1/8 scales so me not having the parts for my car not a big deal I just order them online.Have you read about the new LOSI 8 sounds great but parts are going to be a rip off.But then again 1/8 buggys seem to be very indestructable so you won`t need to many parts anyhow.All you have to know is which parts are the ones that do break and get extras of those.I have been out with my HYPER 8 about seven times total and have broke once and I would have to say it was mostly my fault as I came up short on a big QUAD but thats it.I have tumbled many times and can`t belive that nothing had broken in two.Now this is my first 1/8 scale so I am not able to compare it to another but I do like the one I have.Just remember one thing you are going to run to have fun and also hopefully do well at the same time,and it is sure nice doing that for less money.Take the 200 $ you saved and buy three sets of tires and wheels.Hope this info helps you out making a decision Cain.Oh and dont forget if you do buy a HYPER 8 there are some people out here who will help you out or at least try to help you,like Rocket!.
motomanpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:45 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have one more thing to add.
Any model you buy will have some sort of issue or maybe a weak link.For instance some models might have leaky shocks,some may have leaky diffs,some might be sqeaky from what I have read.And chances are you will be able to fix any problem that any car has with upgrades and or knowledge.I use to race dirtbikes in the 80s every model and make had there own issues.Honda had headshake,Yamaha had crappy suspension,Suzuki was not very reliable, and Kawasaki has issues with there power valves but even then all the bikes were pretty good overall and competitive!My 3 cents
motomanpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:23 AM   #25
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Thanks for all the info guys.

This weekend I got to meet up with some 1/8 scale racers who are pretty into it, and got some good info on the various vehicles and how well they do on the various track conditions.

One thing that seemed to be a common thing that I was hearing was that certain vehicles seem to perform much better on higher traction surfaces than they do on more loam even with setup changes. Since the tracks out here can go to slick pretty quick and really rough, I need something that will handle that.

With the 8ight having its weight moved alot more forward, do you guys believe that if traction is low, this could be an issue? The races I have been hearing about it doing really well appear to have been very high traction.

At the track this weekend there was a good selection, kyoshos, jammins, a few hyper 8's and 7's I think, and 1 MBX5 . The MBX5 looked very smooth over the jumps and bumps. It wasn't outsanely quick around anything, or at least appear to be (the lap times were good however), it just looks very stable, like a suped up big sedan, just gliding. The Hyper 8's also appeared to be very fast around the track. I think the only thing I don't like on them is the body LOL.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:31 AM   #26
Tech Apprentice

Well I chose between the Xray XB8 and Ofna Hyper 8. (Was afraid of everyone speaking about Kyosho get sloopy very fast (it also seemed very simple, like a toy, compared with the XB8TQ which you can stare at all day) and the MBX5 Pivot Ball suspension looks so outdated, i guess it works but it looks too simple to be among the best kits out there)
The Hyper ir sure cheaper but there is a price to pay.
No manufacturer support compared to the xray. They just release a lot of optional parts with no meaning of the purpose, they "update" bad parts instead of replacing them (eg. the fuel tank that was to brake after a few jumps).
And the other thing that concerned me was durability, i owned a hyper 7 and was always afraid if i crash somewhere or if anything just brakes. I knew i won't have this concern with the xray (based on other owners experience).
Moreover, you have to look at what is racing on your track. Parts will be easier to find if something is wrong, setup/building tips will be known and so on.
The only drawback in my opinion was handling. O drove the Hyper 8 recently on the same track, although its setup wasn't atjusted for that track (we have a very very bumpy track) i was able to drive it fast.
But back to the XB8 tq i had to work with it for some time to get it somewhere close to competitive level. Thanks to the adjustability it is possible to set it for any conditions, but it takes time where's hyper seemed fine even with a not so proper setup.
Taurius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:44 AM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

The pivot ball front suspension does offer a feature that no C-hub can achieve. It allows for reactive caster, ie. the upper and lower hinge pins can be run non parallel to make the caster change through the suspension travel. The stock setup stands the caster up a few degrees as the suspension collapses. I just changed mine so that it has the same caster through the travel and found the car to handle very well until I drove VERY aggressively. Then the car would hook when it did not before. I think it is a very good adjustment even though I am giving it up for the 8ight.

One of the only big drawback to the MBX5 for me is that as well as the shocks work on the car the bodies wear out fast. They are not hard coated which in my opinion is not a feature for a high end kit but a standard.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:04 AM   #28
Tech Regular

cain proline makes a crowd pleazer body for the hyper 8 now. but i didn't like the stock one either so i put a crowd pleazer for a mbx5 on it and it fits like a glove. so there are plenty of body options out there besides the stock body.

and tarius he asked not to bash cars, so please don't bash the hyper 8 when you don't even own one, the tank fix has been included in every kit for the last 6 months. although i have the old tank and have been running it since the first shipments of hyper 8 arrived with no problems. its a little bit of weening that comes from all kits, when the pros test they don't over tighten the tank screws and then joe blow builds and has a problem, it is common with every new kit offered.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:22 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

And what about the Team Magic M1 chassis ? ...

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #30
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
and the MBX5 Pivot Ball suspension looks so outdated
I think the Mugen has the sexiest front end of anything out.....or maybe PB is more suited to high-zoot nitro sedans...as they still use PB's.....
Crim3Wav3 is offline   Reply With Quote