R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-10-2006, 11:43 AM   #121
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtracer1
alrighty......who's taking pre-orders already and who's got the best prices? homer....would that be the b-main?
I say bmainhobbies would be the best cause homer's the man and his prices are the best. But I really don't know about the prebuilt cause it will be just as much work taking it apart to recheck ever thing.
Ghost06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #122
Tech Adept

But when does it come out some say end of the month and some say end of jan.
Ghost06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #123
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GeneralG

I don't see why the Truggy would come pre-built... the buggy was not and 99.9% of rcracers prefer a kit. I will put my money on a kit. Can't wait for this Truggy!
Old 11-10-2006, 12:51 PM   #124
Tech Regular

thats good to hear Grant. Do you want to bulild my 8ight?? LOL
Mike Elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:57 PM   #125
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GeneralG

Hey Mike... the 8ight's are easier to build than the Jammin's, if you can't put it together yourself than you can't drive it! LOL. Kinda like if you can't start it you can't ride it.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:50 PM   #126
Tech Elite

If I've said it once, I'll say it a million times. "Serious racers" are not the biggest segment of this hobby. The sheer popularity of Ready-To-Runs proves that there are a lot of hobbyists that don't want to build cars. There's nothing about this truck that will prevent you from taking it apart to check it all out, change fluids, etc. if you'd like. I personally think that the convenience for the people who want it will balance, or outweigh, the loss of the building experience.

The additional effort you'll put into prepping your 8-T for "serious" race duty will be negligible. You won't have to assemble the suspension stuff, the center chassis hardware, etc. Check the diffs, axles, and the shocks and you're done. The time that the average hobbyist (again, a SERIOUS chunk of the R/C market, whether you personally get to see it or not) will spend getting his truck ready to run will be greatly reduced.

I would guess that Losi's main offices will have quite a handle on the building procedures of this truck. Any problems during the construction of production kits will likely be monitored pretty closely by Losi/Horizon.

Again, it's just a test of the market. The truck isn't even out yet and you're already worried about it. Relax!

Ghost06 - I think January is a better guess.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #127
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
If I've said it once, I'll say it a million times. "Serious racers" are not the biggest segment of this hobby. The sheer popularity of Ready-To-Runs proves that there are a lot of hobbyists that don't want to build cars.
Traxxas is proof of that.......they laugh all the way to the bank and they are strictly RTR kits. Hobao produced their Hyper 8 80% assembled and no one raised this much of a stink? Get the kit, prep it, race it and enjoy it.

I for one am glad to see a kit like this hit the market, like Waldron said.....there are only a handful of serious racers out there, the rest are like me. We get excited to see the club racing start up on the weekend and travel to one or two big races a year. Kudos to Losi!
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:22 PM   #128
Tech Addict

Quote:
If I've said it once, I'll say it a million times. "Serious racers" are not the biggest segment of this hobby. The sheer popularity of Ready-To-Runs proves that there are a lot of hobbyists that don't want to build cars.
you're absolutly right.....and that's exactly what the muggy is for...and all of those other rtr's out there......for those people that DON'T want to build their own.

i'm sure that losi will be coming out with a rtr version of the 8ight-t just as they did with the 8ight.....and that should more than take care of the ready-built market....don't cha think?

i think losi is messin' with success here by screwing with their core buyer's by pre-building a truck designed for racers....not back yard bashers.

myself, like most others here (however, i'll admit not all), want to build and tweak their own vehicles to their own safisfaction. like others have said....building your own is just as big a part of the hobby as the competition. at least when you buld it, you know it's built right....and if not, at least you know who to blame, not some faceless shumuck at the factory.

sure, it's got the losi name and engineering, but who really, is putting the truck together and are they gonna put it together the way I would put it together?. i'm i buying the truck that was put together first thing in the morning....or the last one in the afternoon right before quiting time?

the way i see it, losi is just increasing my wrench time on the truck because i'm just gonna have to take it apart just to put it back together again...THE WAY I WANT IT.

losi should save the labor costs here and pass those savings along to the consumer. those that don't want to build their own kits for whatever reason, will have that opportunity with the rtr version of the 8ight-t when it's released.
Losi XXX-MF2/CRC SC
B&T R/C - http://b-treman-rc.valp.net/btrchome.htm
dirtracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #129
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

i dont know how i feel about this yet since i understand why they are doing it, but i love building kits.

Hay Aaron, if losi needs any help building kits, ill volunteer to help. Ill try to make sure a kit doesnt come up missing.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:19 PM   #130
Tech Regular

from what i heard most manufacturers will be going this route the cars are manufactured and assembled in taiwan boxed up and shipped over, they say its cheaper for the factory to build the car and then they can save money on including a couple extra screws and not worry so much about parts missing from bags and having complaints and then sending out replacement parts all over the world. i own a hyper 8 and i pulled it all apart to change all the geometry and diff fluid. it was no more work then a general rebuild which i think is less work than building from scratch. The car was quality assembled only problem was they first hyper 8 kits were coming with different setups, some had 2 degree anti squat some had 1, and so on.

i personally think that there is a high that comes with opening a box and seeing all the bags and turning wrenches till your fingers are sore. so if you want a car that you have to build get a jammin or a mugen, they are all pretty much made in the same factories anyways. thats the only way to send the message to losi that you want to build a kit.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:24 PM   #131
Tech Rookie

Lets face a few facts here, it's good business and will cost Losi less money in the longrun to prebuild kits than offer them up as kits. Losi is in this to make money, not cater to the low number of kit builders.

Think of how much money it costs to pay its workforce in asia to put together those kit bags, most likely the same amount it costs to put together a kit. I'm sure Losi has done some studies and came to the conclusion that a prebuilt kit built properly equals no phone calls from customers missing kit parts who get those missing parts shipped to them for free. It most likely costs Losi more money to send you that missing part than pay someone to build 10 kits.

Asia equals very cheap labor and in the end more money in Losi's pockets. It's just business and the bottom line that's important not kit builders.
ape_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:09 AM   #132
Tech Elite

dirtracer - I understand your point, but I can't agree that this approach is alienating Losi's racing fan-base. We can agree to disagree. I'm interested in how this will work out in terms of marketing and time will tell.

I can imagine that Losi will oversee kit construction as it should be done to their standards. While that doesn't mean that each kit will be built for each customer specifically, I think they'll do a fine job.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:50 AM   #133
Tech Regular

Grant.. LOL its not about if you can start it or not. Its how you ride it. Same for R/C, I bought my wife a jammin rtr cause she thought she wanted to race and that thing actually was pretty good, suspension was way to soft with the black springs and all but a few changes and it was very good. It was funny cause she practiced alot with my Mod Buggy at the indoor track and was getting around pretty good, So we went to Amain and raced at night when the moisture came up the traction was crazy. She was getting around the track real good staying off the pipes and not blowing the corners to bad, but the car would traction roll in several of the corners, she would look down at me and be like why is it doing that.. A few changes later she was racing with a 8 year old who beat her. (she hasnt raced since)..LOL
Mike Elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:05 AM   #134
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to layedbackguy

Race Roller is the way to go. I dont have a problem with putting kits together, but if losi wants to do it..thas fine with me. Just like buying a used buggy or truggy, most racer will break it down to make shock and diff oil changes. Other changes can be made for your personal likeings. Bmainhobbies is the way to go, because i know Homer, and he always has helped me in a time of need, not to mention his prices may be the cheapiest on the hobby store list. I'll be getting one once they drop.
layedbackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:27 AM   #135
Tech Addict

Quote:
dirtracer - I understand your point, but I can't agree that this approach is alienating Losi's racing fan-base. We can agree to disagree.
i'm not saying that this approach will alienate anyone at all....it might upset a few, but i'm pretty sure pre-building the truck will not stop anyone here from buying it.....including me, that is, if i have the funds for it at the time. it might take the joy out of building it for one's self, however, it will be the truck to have and people will still buy one regardless.

i do however, still wish that losi would reconsider the pre-built thing and maybe offer it as an option instead so that those that would like to build their own would still be able to.

thanks for letting me rant.....and we can agree to disagree.
Losi XXX-MF2/CRC SC
B&T R/C - http://b-treman-rc.valp.net/btrchome.htm
dirtracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote