R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-11-2006, 06:35 AM   #136
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket42
i personally think that there is a high that comes with opening a box and seeing all the bags.

i rest my case.
Losi XXX-MF2/CRC SC
B&T R/C - http://b-treman-rc.valp.net/btrchome.htm
dirtracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:56 AM   #137
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Cheap labor to build kits would also mean cheap labor to build kit bags, no?

I can personally attest to the fact that building the kits takes WAY more time then the kit bags. To build the kits, you first gather everything you would drop into a bag and be done...., but then obtain the correct tool for that fastener, etc. and complete the assembly.

So not only are you gathering the parts, their is a substantial amount of time to assembling the parts, even with small power tools, tips must still be changed, etc. Filling diffs and shocks with the proper greases, oils, etc. all adds time.

TL is doing it a different way for other reasons, since not only is there added time, but shipping built kits which means bigger boxes, also means less kits per container as well.

I would guess their main reason would be to cater to a MUCH larger market, since trucks, like the Revo sell 90:1, basher to racer. That is 89 of every 90 sold never see a track.

....Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:08 AM   #138
Tech Regular

jim the cars are built assembly line style, its not like 1 person builds 1 kit. and since losi already has a staff of in house builders for the rtr kits, and since rtr kits share the same bearings, plastic, diffs and only differ from the pro kits with the higher grade alumn. in chassis and shock towers it would be much cheaper to build that way than to pay for the packaging and then have people go around filling bag "a" or bag "b", and they also do not need to include extra hardware, plus as was mentioned before they do not have to ship out parts all over the world when they find a missing part in 10 bags of parts.

like i said if you want to build buy a different kit, if you just buy it any way you have waived all your consumer rights and fell into that my voice means nothing attitude.

as far as anyone concerned with the build quality, these people are probably building more kits in 2 weeks than you will in your entire life, and they are probably building more 8ight-t in 2 days then you will ever own. I am sure they are well qualified if only in repetition.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:13 AM   #139
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket42
jim the cars are built assembly line style, its not like 1 person builds 1 kit. and since losi already has a staff of in house builders for the rtr kits, and since rtr kits share the same bearings, plastic, diffs and only differ from the pro kits with the higher grade alumn. in chassis and shock towers it would be much cheaper to build that way than to pay for the packaging and then have people go around filling bag "a" or bag "b", and they also do not need to include extra hardware, plus as was mentioned before they do not have to ship out parts all over the world when they find a missing part in 10 bags of parts.

like i said if you want to build buy a different kit, if you just buy it any way you have waived all your consumer rights and fell into that my voice means nothing attitude.

as far as anyone concerned with the build quality, these people are probably building more kits in 2 weeks than you will in your entire life, and they are probably building more 8ight-t in 2 days then you will ever own. I am sure they are well qualified if only in repetition.
Thats good to know, seeing how I dont plan on stockpiling my own supply of 8ight-T's
K_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:10 PM   #140
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I hope this thread is viewed by some of the decision makers at LOSI so they can hear my consumer voice yelling I DO NOT BUY READY TO RUN, OR PREBUILT, I MUST ASSEMBLE MY OWN KITS!!!!!!!

Aaron- I understand that you will defend the company that you represent, and it is an excellent company, but LOSI started as a "RACE KIT" company.
I personally have built and raced JRX-PRO, JRX-2, JR.2, and countless others.
So don't forget your companies heritage and responsibility to stay true to the racers that paid for the company through the purchasing of race kits and not ready to runs.
ttr_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #141
Tech Adept

those are arms are sweet! cool design, wonder how well they'll hold up.
Speedycorvette2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:28 PM   #142
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I would venture a guess that this is more a "horizon" decision than a "Losi" one...

Yes, I know who owns who...
FlyByWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #143
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttr_racer
I hope this thread is viewed by some of the decision makers at LOSI so they can hear my consumer voice yelling I DO NOT BUY READY TO RUN, OR PREBUILT, I MUST ASSEMBLE MY OWN KITS!!!!!!!

Aaron- I understand that you will defend the company that you represent, and it is an excellent company, but LOSI started as a "RACE KIT" company.
I personally have built and raced JRX-PRO, JRX-2, JR.2, and countless others.
So don't forget your companies heritage and responsibility to stay true to the racers that paid for the company through the purchasing of race kits and not ready to runs.
Like it or not....Racers are a very small piece of the market in this industry, RTR, Pre-Built, etc....are the ticket. Losi/Horizon is in business to make money and looks to be adapting to the changing market. Why do people automatically think that a pre-built canít be competitive or will not be the same quality as an unassembled kit? Iím sure Losi will prove the haters wrong and change the old perceptions of pre-built being inferior.

I can see future complaints now.... "The sponsored guys car in not a pre-built and my ride is....that is why I get beat"....

If it means that much to build your car, then simply take it apart and REBUILD IT...which is likely to be done anyways by racers.
Doug D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #144
Tech Rookie

You could flip the coin on that and have people say "I got beat because his 8T is prebuilt" hehehe
ape_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #145
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Rocket42, I think we agree, but from different ends maybe. The assembly line process is used for parts bags, AND for kit assembly, assembly takes more time.

I have done both.

The fact is TL will sell more trucks if they build them for people. Small issues with parts will occur with prebuilt as well as kits.
I have had RTR cars and trucks with incorrect assembly, as well as problems with kits. So they aren't doing it to avoid mailing out a few screws to customers.

My guess, RTR first, get the intitial sales from them, then release a kit after. All of the hardcore racers will buy a RTR, convert it to good radio, engine, etc. Then they will buy the kit when it comes available as long as it comes with better shock towers and a couple "hop-ups" for about $200 more.

Once those sales slow, new kit, or update.

I've watched it happen over and over for years now.

Nobody ever sets a new record or becomes national champion, but sales remain brisk. It seems even easier in the gas market....LOL

...Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:56 PM   #146
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i personally wouldn't mind saving my hands from a few blisters and the occasional frustration blowouts.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:42 PM   #147
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug D
Why do people automatically think that a pre-built canít be competitive or will not be the same quality as an unassembled kit? Iím sure Losi will prove the haters wrong and change the old perceptions of pre-built being inferior.
i don't think anyone here has said that a pre-built 8ight-t will not be competitive, nor will it be inferior. what people ARE saying, including myself, is that building the kit is just as big a part of the hobby as racing it is. there is a HUGH satisfaction factor here from building the kit and putting it together the way you want it to go together and then racing it. plus, when one builds it themselves, including newbies (maybe even more so), they then have a better understanding of how the truck functions......and how to repair it themselves too.
Losi XXX-MF2/CRC SC
Old 11-11-2006, 08:43 PM   #148
Tech Regular

If I'm not mistaken/remember correctly, the 8ight-T is a car that is pre-built and just that, not a "ready to run" meaning it has radio equipment etc... installed in it???? If that's true then by the logic posted earlier if you were to buy a Toyota Corolla and put the car together yourself then the Toyota would be a much higher quality car than say a car that comes assembled like we'll say a Ferrari? Xray's touring cars come with the aluminum bulkheads already screwed to the chassis but no one complains about that and their cars seem to do really well. OK...so the point of the car coming pre-built making the kit "lower quality" is out the window and doesn't mean anything. Worst case scenario is that you may need to top off the fluids in he car or re-bleed the shocks, loc-tite a few screws, or maybe hand fit a part if something is too tight. For the racer those are just common minor details that are dealt with all of the time but the pride or job well done that most people experience after fixing something, building something, etc.... is taken away and something the racer type group of people value more than the type of people that want stuff done for them or just want a toy to drive in front of the house. So that's my take on what may be the root/reason for people on here not liking the car coming pre-built.
Hot Bodies, HPI, Novak Electronics, JR Propo, Lunsford, Skipgear.com, Planet R/C, Vinyl Graphics Unlimited, JConcepts, B-Mods Racing, CRCRC, King's R/C Raceway, Avid R/C, GMK Supply, & Pacific Coast Hobbies.
SlobbaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:58 PM   #149
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlobbaTech
something the racer type group of people value more than the type of people that want stuff done for them or just want a toy to drive in front of the house. .
bingo!!!!!!!! that's what RTR'S ARE FOR. for the people that DON'T want to do it themselves.

losi is trying to sell an ARTR (almost ready-to-run) instead of a kit and take the option of a kit away from those that WANT to build the kit. sorry, but i prefer a kit.

this is like selling a model airplane kit and then going ahead and glueing it together for ya already.....kinda takes all the fun out of it for ya.

some people call this a hobby....some a sport. the hobby part is the building part.......the sport is the competition/racing part.

i like both aspects of this hobby/sport......and would prefer to build my own thank you very much.
Losi XXX-MF2/CRC SC
Old 11-11-2006, 09:09 PM   #150
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to $rusty$ Send a message via MSN to $rusty$

WE ARE ONLY A SMALL PART OF THIS HOBBY!!!!!!!!! GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEAD PEOPLE..LOSI IS DOING WHAT IS BEST FOR THEIR SALES, AND THEY WILL MORE THAN LIKELY SELL IT AS A KIT. WITH SOME BETTER PARTS THAT WHERE LACKING ON THE PRE-BUILT..rant over

Rusty

thercbarn.com
$rusty$ is offline   Reply With Quote