Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
for the cynics - racing a rustler >

for the cynics - racing a rustler

for the cynics - racing a rustler

Old 09-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default for the cynics - racing a rustler

hi ya'll i know most of you guys here probably think that the traxxas rustler is an entry level vehicle that has no business on the racetrack. i'm guessing this because every time i go to a new track, my fellow competitors tend to point at my truck and laugh. well, let me be the defining example that a rustler can definately be competitive at the racetrack. maybe not at a national level, but definately at a state and regional level. the proof is in the pudding. every trophy here has been aquired by my race rustler:

the chassis is fully intact too. no jangification here!

i know, why don't i just get a t4 or xxx-t? here's my answer - i don't need it. my truck works perfectly with my style of driving and i figure if it's not broke, why fix it? and since i have 2 rustlers, 2 stampedes and a sledgehammer, i don't want to have to carry another whole brand's worth of parts with me to the track every weekend.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 308 (100%+)

I used to race a rustler and it was pretty quick. But I did what this guy at www.ultimatetraxxas.com did this to rustler.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Tech Addict

Think you could get a close-up on the writing on one of those bad dogs?????
Old 09-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by That0neguy
Think you could get a close-up on the writing on one of those bad dogs?????

Exactly.....
Old 09-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Okay but...

Well, I am glad that you're happy with your rustler. I like them, used to have one that I bashed with in the backyard.

But if you 're doing that well with it, you can do so much better with a T4. You wouldn't know unless you drive one. There 're not enough tuning option on the rustler.

Anyway, try a T4 or MF2, I think you 'll be glad you did.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Do I see an SRT like shock tower in the front?By the way: congratulations my friend.You have one thing that most people in the hobby today do not have: personality.Would like to see someone taking the Jang's developments one step further though...
Old 09-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

yep. that's the fiberglass front shock tower. it takes all the "boing" out of the truck when it takes a lateral hit off of a jump and it makes the truck much more predictable.

i've driven a t4but i just dont' really like the way it handeled. mostly because i run very heavy oil in my race truck (55 wt) and the t4 only had like 25 wt in it.

most of the trophies say "r/c avenue first place". a few of them are from the monster bashes that we have twice a year and i took the conversion class and 2wd drags with it, and the biggest trophy is my points championship at the other local track i raced at during this past summer.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Good for you man-every track needs someone like you to prove that you don't have to have the latest and the greatest to have fun with your leisure activity .

I'm still racing my SRT and it's fast enough to win any given day-I'm not,but the car is.I had an MF1 when it was the new current thing and I really liked it-sweet truck.But I wasn't any faster with it,and I did'nt get near as much satisfaction out of doing well with it.The way I see it is that if you have the best of everything and you go out and win with it,you haven't accomplished anything more than the minimum.If you have the best stuff then you should win,and if you don't then you're a loser! But if you can do well with lesser equipment than everyone else,well then you've really done something.I'm sure there are a lot of guys that you race with that would really like to see you upgrade to something better-even if it makes you faster.

Hooray for the underdog!
Old 09-21-2006, 02:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking tougher than the rest

one thing about the rustler....they are tough.ive got one that my wife will race in 540 sportsman when she can.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 253 (100%+)

Thats great to see someone winning with these.

I think at various tracks you always have that group of guys who are just too quick to put down what someone else tries to race right away and that in turn puts them off on the hobby. Just because you spend a grand on your truck doesn't mean Joe Blow can't race his rusty or anything else.

What they don't seem to understand is that when you go with this elitiest attitude, you kill racing in your area. Simple as that.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Awesome job. It's about the driver...not the RC. Show'm up!
Old 09-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Enough already !!!!

All you Rustler fans wake up !!!! You have got to be kidding or just plain ignorant. Everybody love the underdog but you all must be smoking good stuff to think that the rustler can compete beyond the novice level.

Forget that cheap ass Jang dude. Who in their right mind would spend all that time and money to get his rustler to drive like a ? Huh? T4 maybe. BTW, He has a website devoted to T4 only.

The competition must be pretty lame at your track to even have a rustler as a contender. Or, it 's my suspicion that this whole thread was start by a Traxxas sales staff to dupe beginners into buying a rustler.

Proof is in the pudding ? You have got to be kidding. Anyone can just line up a bunch of bowling trophy they borrowed from uncle Ted and put a Rustler in front of them for that photo.

In a way, this was a cruel joke for all you Rustler fanatics.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

What is it about the offroad section that seems to bring out the obnoxious LOSI RULZ!! crowd? The onroaders seem to have a whole lot more respect for people who are comfortable with what they have. Maybe some people feel they need to compensate because even with a MF2 or T4, they can't drive for crap. The best car in the world can't fix incompetant driving.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by kuzo
Maybe some people feel they need to compensate because even with a MF2 or T4, they can't drive for crap. The best car in the world can't fix incompetant driving.
Pleassse !!!! You must be talking about your own driving. Nice avatar. Is that you ? Must be. I am so sorry. Have you heard about Russian bride connection ? They don't care what you look like.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Having a bad day Losi? Just feel like you need to vent? Did you get beat by a Rustler at the track today?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service