Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
for the cynics - racing a rustler >

for the cynics - racing a rustler

for the cynics - racing a rustler

Old 10-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

17 trophies and only racing a year? Must have alot of trophy races where you're from.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

every week where there are 4 or more trucks in my class, we race for trophies.

for stock motors, i usually run between a 13 and 16 tooth pinion, depending on what kind of space i have to run in, and usually a 87 or 90 tooth spur. for speed runs i gear it 30/77.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

im runing on a oval .. its 100 / 50 wide... with a 15 lane ends 20 ft what size pion should i have thanks so much for your time...
Old 10-02-2006, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbrow1
17 trophies and only racing a year? Must have alot of trophy races where you're from.
Most of those are from racing his Rustler against stampedes in the monster truck class on a carpet roval...
Old 10-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

yet my rustler still had more ground clearance than the stampedes because they were slammed so much.

and we ran on an oval for like 3 weeks. we ran a road course the rest of the season.

how about if you dish out the cash for me to get an equal truck to what you guys have i'll come up to mccullough's and we'll see who the better driver really is. there's a reason i dont' have the top notch equipment - i'm freakin 16 and i can't afford it. i'm not going to waste $600 for a complete race truck when i can win with what i have.

i'd run either 14 or 15 for the pinion on that track.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

To bad you could just transfer all the electronics off your Rustler onto a Losi or AE and upgrade for $185, not to hard to round up that kind of cash, plus if you sell your Rustler you should be able to get at least $25 for it.

Seriously though dude, what tires are you running if your using a 13-15t pinion? Masher 2000's? Either that or your racing in a broom closet?
Old 10-02-2006, 10:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by carcrusher46
yet my rustler still had more ground clearance than the stampedes because they were slammed so much.

and we ran on an oval for like 3 weeks. we ran a road course the rest of the season.

how about if you dish out the cash for me to get an equal truck to what you guys have i'll come up to mccullough's and we'll see who the better driver really is. there's a reason i dont' have the top notch equipment - i'm freakin 16 and i can't afford it. i'm not going to waste $600 for a complete race truck when i can win with what i have.

i'd run either 14 or 15 for the pinion on that track.
Are you serious?? I think I could find a friend to loan me a truck. You can run mine and I'll run the borrowed one. You break anything on my truck you pay for it with a refundable deposit BEFORE said race begins, That way you just dont drive it into a tree and smash it all up. You win, you keep my truck, I win, I keep your Rusty.

Never did I say that you where a bad driver but you kind of ask for it with all these boasts of how good you are. If you're good, you dont have to brag about it, people will figure it out.

I learned something along time ago when I used to race quads. I had a 230 quad sport (rusty) and I used to diss Honda 250r's (t4 or MF2) because I couldnt afford one. I did all these mods to my 230 sport (rusty) to make it more like a 250r(t4). In the end, I still had a quad sport(rusty). Finally, one day I saw the light and just bit the bullet and bought a 250r (FT T4). I was glad I did. I am fairly certain once you get past the "first rc car love" you have with your rustler, you'll see the light and get a MF2 or a T4. You work at a hobby shop for gods sake and MF2's and T4s dont cost 600 bucks. I understand the customization factor and all that but by god, you're rusty will never ever come close to handling like a T4 or Mf2. Ever.

There are kids at McCulloughs with less equipment than I have (yes I do have all the bling bling) that beat me week in and week out. Please dont open your mouth because you will be putting your foot in it. McCulloughs is totally different than Smithton or wherever and unless you've run there, are you really sure you could beat me? I run there every week....

No hard feelings....
Old 10-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't know why some people go out of thier way to put down other peoples acheivements. If car crusher is happy with the car he started with, whats the big deal? I could understand giving him suggestions to change if the truck looked like a money pit but the truck seems relatively stock and from what i remember it is durable so staying with the rustler seems like the practical thing to do.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

At my track I had a new guy come up with a rusty. The truck ran about one pack and stripped the steering servo. He had just fixed the tranny eariler in the week because it stripped the center gear. THIS TRUCK WAS ONLY A WEEK OLD!!! So much for durability. I let him test drive my MF2 and he was blown away at the difference. He bought a t4 the next following weekend and sold the rusty to the next unlucky individual. Also, the rusty does not have near the amount of tuning options available on the MF2 or T4. If you ever own one of these you will find out. Plus, the FT T4 and MF2 do not need any hopups to be competetive. On a tight, technical track that you really have to drive on, with competent drivers, you will be slaughtered with a rusty.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking rusty's

most rtr come with crap servos.
3 things i recomend on the rustler is the rpm hub carriers,good servo and the metal idler gear.after that they are pretty indestructable.
me and a mate used to use the rusty's at the skate park.only thing we ever broke there was a spur and a shock.send a T4 or an MF2 over the big kickers at full noise and see what happens if you land wrong.........
Old 10-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

But the rustler in stock form does have some quality problems especially with the tranny. After all the upgrading you do all you end up with is a rustler that still falls short of the performance of a stock T4 or XXXT. A beginner would be better off buying a rtr version of the Losi or Associated truck.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Another one

Originally Posted by Francis M.
I don't know why some people go out of thier way to put down other peoples acheivements. If car crusher is happy with the car he started with, whats the big deal? I could understand giving him suggestions to change if the truck looked like a money pit but the truck seems relatively stock and from what i remember it is durable so staying with the rustler seems like the practical thing to do.
Why don't you read the whole thread before typing. You are MISSING the point. No one is putting him down. He stuck his foot in his mouth by boasting stuff that experienced racers just know aren't true.

We are doing the whole RC community a service by setting the record straight. Misleading posts like his and CLUELESS save the thread heroes like yourself are what should be stopped.

Now go in peace ( but read the whole thread ).
Old 10-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Losiracers
Why don't you read the whole thread before typing. You are MISSING the point. No one is putting him down. He stuck his foot in his mouth by boasting stuff that experienced racers just know aren't true.

We are doing the whole RC community a service by setting the record straight. Misleading posts like his and CLUELESS save the thread heroes like yourself are what should be stopped.

Now go in peace ( but read the whole thread ).
Thank you so much for getting everyone on track with your well thought out discussion on this topic. You are a hero defending the RC community and my hat is off to you good sir! An expert racer could have come in here and convinced himself to trade his XXXT MF2 for a Rustler if it hadn't been for a "thread hero" such a yourself.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Thats it, I'm trading in my FT T4, FT B4, and my FT GT and fielding a slew of all Traxxas vehicles from now on.

I wouldnt mind having a Traxxas Revo, hooked up like that 1 in last months RCCA magazine......
Old 10-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Default You Again

Originally Posted by kuzo
Thank you so much for getting everyone on track with your well thought out discussion on this topic. You are a hero defending the RC community and my hat is off to you good sir! An expert racer could have come in here and convinced himself to trade his XXXT MF2 for a Rustler if it hadn't been for a "thread hero" such a yourself.

You are welcomed Kuzo. But let's not exaggerate the magnitude of the problem. This is an RC forum so let 's not act so gay but if you are then again, I am so sorry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service