Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
for the cynics - racing a rustler >

for the cynics - racing a rustler

for the cynics - racing a rustler

Old 09-22-2006, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Exactly my point. The mentality of "I drive a Losi and everything else sucks." Note also the complete lack of maturity when confronted about their crappy childish attitude. I never claimed I was a great driver. I just claimed you are likely compensating for yours.

And as for the avatar, something amusing from Smoking Gun. But I'm sure if you had one for yourself we'd all be impressed.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

aah - i love losi drivers

oh, by the way, the other top guy in my class made the a-main for mod truck at the r/c pro event at mccullough's off road. and i beat him 11 weeks in a row last season.

"spend all that money to make it run like a t4"

that truck has about $300 in it. last time i checked, a factory team t4 kit, radio, motor, esc and other required items costs much more than $300 . . .

and, of course, bowling trophies always say "RC" at the top

i love comedians. hehehehe
Old 09-22-2006, 07:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

The weird part is how quick they are to point out how superior they are because they drive a Losi or T4 and how stupid you are for having a Rustler or Evader. If they are so confident because they have the best why even post in the inferior's thread?

I've had the Rustler and Evader, now have XXXs for my kids and T4 for myself and it's all good. My best lap times always happened when I didn't screw up. Do what works for you and shut up if you don't like what works for someone else.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Its great that you are so good with your Rustler, but it really is impossible that you could not go faster with a T4 or MF2. They are much lighter, and have lower centres of gravity. Not to mention you can tune them better to the track. So the only conclusion that can be reached from this thread is one of two things, either you are a very good driver, or you are a decent driver and the competition level where you race is low.

You can get a RC10T4 team kit for under $200. If your winning now, you'll be dominating after that purchase.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Tech Addict

i completely agree with you that a t4 or xxx-t would be easier to drive and that they're lighter. i just can't justify spending that much on a truck when i already do great with what i have.

if i do say so myself, i think i'm a pretty good driver. considering that i've won 96% of the races that i've entered and i only got marshalled 4 times during the 16-week points series at the one track i race at.

the one track i run at, i have to admit the competition isn't that geat. but at the track i race at during the winter it's tough to win every week and i have to stay on top of things, equalizing my batteries, tearing down my motors after every race, and keeping taps on my tire wear.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Let me know if you would like to put a losi motor plate on the trans. to keep the motor cool; or just try my www.

BTW: thats a stampede going up that tree
Old 09-22-2006, 11:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Don't be dissing all Losi lovers.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SUNA
Don't be dissing all Losi lovers.
Not dissing Losi lovers. Just the ones that feel the need to not only love their Losis but tell anyone who has something else that they suck. I have two XXXTs myself.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Tech Regular

wheelnut a lighter car is faster in top speed but not always around the track, a heavier car is more stable and less likely to crash + has more traction. so its easier for him to make less mistakes during a race. Fact is you could take all the fastest guys in the world and put them behind the wheel of a rustler and they would still smoke 90% of us.

Hooray for the underdog thats what i say if every track had a racer like you racing would be much more popular.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Tech Addict

I love the fact that you are using a rustler to win, I started with one and had more fun with it than anything i got. don't worry about the losi guys they can't understand why people don't like Losi, at my track most people that have Losi's have problems with brushless and high powered nitro's. I'm currently building a Traxxas SRT to replace my T4 just because i want something different and it would be fun to beat the others at my track with a 12+year old truck
Old 09-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

It is great to see you go against the grain and prove how important the driver is!

Look at truck nats, the BIG teams sent Big name drivers and have killed the Revo in doing so. LST2's and an MGT dominating the field!
Does this mean those guys wouldn't be faster with a Revo? I'd guess they would be, but we will never know.

A good driver can overcome small handling or tuning deficiency most of the time. Unless more good drivers come to race, then everything matters more.

Where I race, there are 8 or so fully supported racers, who bring out all the stops every time they hit the track, even using new tires, engines or motors for club races!
So this means it wouldn't happen here, no one here will beat JR Mitch or Jason Ruona or the other handfull of drivers with a Rustler. Although Jason did win a State Series race in Daytona a year or so ago with an RC10T, just for fun, against MF2's and T4's!!! LOL

As long as you are getting what you want(WINS!), where you race, I say stick with it!
...Jim
Old 09-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

A couple of guys race rustlers at my track can you post your setup. they have been having a hard time and I told them I would see if I could find them a decent starting setup. also have you been able to find a way to use regular rims or just traxxas.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

depends what kind of surface you're on. if the track is loose, i run pro-line hole shots on nitro sport rear rims, which makes the truck more stable since the rear is wider. if the track is tacky, i like bow-ties on stock rear rims. i run pro-line edges on the fronts most of the time, unless the track is really hardpacked then i run panther micro-ribs.

for the rear suspension, i use 55wt trinity fluid, traxxas red 2.5 rate springs, 1 large and 1 medium pre-load collar. on the front i run losi orange springs and one large pre-load collar. i like my truck to sit just above the arms-and-axles-level mark because the jumps at our track are pretty gnarly.

when i'm on carpet running on an oval, i run losi yellow springs on the left and orange on the right, with one large collar all the way around.

i run one degree of negative front camber, and one degree of toe-in. i set the rear shocks one hole out from stock, and the fronts are on the outermost hole (factory setting anyway)

as far as rims go, i just use traxxas rims, either stock rustler rims or nitro sport rims. when i can get my hands on some of those new pro-line universal wabash rims i might pick me up some of those so if i do buy a non-traxxas truck in the future i can switch my tires easily.

i run plastic idlers, plastic drive yokes, stock driveshafts, the stock diff fluid, and stock shocks.

i run a lrp quantum competition esc, punch control set on 3, initial brake on 3, and drag brake on 1. for stock class i run trinity revenge of the monsters that are lathed and diamond-trued after every 3rd run. for mod classes i run trinity speed gems pro motors 15 double and 11 double. i run smc 3800 matched economy cells (which have better numbers than the racing packs for some reason), and i run deans wet noodle for all my wiring. i also use deans plugs for my battery and motor connections.

hope that helps you out a little
Old 09-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Tech Rookie

...and that's why you do so well. It looks like you're prepaired, detail oriented and know a thing or two about setup. A poorly set up car, no matter how expensive and light, won't be as fast as a car with a good setup.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Lol, if you win with that, you are obviosly a very good driver. and judging by the rustler, which is heavier than other trucks, it would not go as fast as the others.

BUT, if you are a consistent driver, and dont mess up every lap, you could win. For example, if a xxx-t is 5 mph faster than a rustler, it would win. but if the xxx-t messes up many times, and the rustler doesnt, the rustler could win! a mess-up costs about 5 - 15 seconds, which can slow your lap times, even if you are 5 mph faster than the rustler.

those that say its imposible to win with a rustler, are wrong. just because a model is older, or heavier, doesnt mean it cant win.

i think that would be cool to win with a rusty, to show off! lol

"what r' ya' runnin?"
"a rustler."
"WHAT?!?"
"a rusty!"
"that piece of $H!t beat my t4?!?"
"i guess so..."

lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service