R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-18-2006, 10:37 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sport10
One of the biggest improvements made in the MF2 is the durability. The only thing I have broken is ballstuds. The graphite that Losi uses in their MF2 is unsurpassed in strength. I would upgrade to the MF2 front hubs and arms just for durability. Also, the new steering rack for the new XXX-CR will fit the MF2 and is a nice steering upgrade.
I don't totally agree with you here...

The graphite is identical on the MF2 and MF1. The front arms on the MF2 do have thicker webbing but I only broke one arm in a full season of winter racing with the MF1. The steering rack upgrade is a little subjective.
I have both trucks and have a full season on each... I have to say I like the entire rearend design of the MF1 better and the front arms on the MF2 better. the chassis,bulkheads, rack, towers, etc, are the same parts.

Just my own observations after racing both.
MrBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:03 AM   #17
Tech Adept

So I could upgrade the front suspension on my MF1 to the MF2 stuff? What all needs to be replaced to make this happen?
fhm101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:00 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

with losi having released the new xxx-cr i would imagine there would be a truck to follow.

i race an associated RC10T2,its still got a lot of club racing life left in it yet
Piss on holden
dallasv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:35 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhm101
So I could upgrade the front suspension on my MF1 to the MF2 stuff? What all needs to be replaced to make this happen?
hubs and arms.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasv8
with losi having released the new xxx-cr i would imagine there would be a truck to follow.
I'm sure there will be, but when is it going to hit?

Thanks John. Time to start digging for some part numbers.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

If the XXX-CR is any indication the next truck will use the black tranny in the MF1 along with a a revised rear shock tower and probably rear hubs similar to the CR ones. It maybe also have revised rear arms too. I very well expect it to have the new rack system also.

fhm101,

I would upgrade the front hub and arms to the MF2 versions, I would change to the CR rack, and the new double diff ring and HD thrust bearing setup in the CR too. You can wait till you have to refresh your diff to install the double diff ring and thrust bearing. These make for an ultra smooth diff that lasts alot longer between rebuilds.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:52 AM   #22
Tech Regular

The HD thrust is a VERY good upgrade. I use Axiom's thrust with extremely good results. I have installed the double diff rings and raced with them twice and I find it very hard to get it adjusted properly. For me it's too loose or too tight. I have gone back to the D ring setup.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:32 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

The only thing I have the double diff ring setup in is my CR and I have not had any adjustment problems.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
Old 09-20-2006, 12:25 AM   #24
Tech Adept

I downloaded the exploded views for the MF1, MF2, and CR this afternoon.The P/N for the rack on the CR sheet has the first 2 digits transposed (61 should be 16), but it was not that big a deal to find on horizon's site.

We've had 6 buggies sign up so far this week. I'm thinking about getting a CR and running both classes.

And before you say anything, I'm NOT an r/c addict!! I can quit anytime I want, really...I can.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:40 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

The number you are looking for is LOSA1621. All three plastic parts to the rack come in this package together. There are two inserts that goes inside two of the pieces and each has a screw that bolts throught the insert into a mini nut on the rack. The ballstuds that going in this rack are longer than the ones used on the bellcrank system so you can put washer under them if you would like to add some hook into your steering.

Yea, that is what we all say!
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
Old 10-12-2006, 11:59 AM   #26
Tech Adept

Hey Folks.....I'm back

Well, I've got my XXX-T up and running and have been working on the setup, but now I'm thinking I might want to try a brushless system for it.

I've been running brushless in my mini's for quite some time now and really like the no maintenance and easy adjustmet of power parameters brushless offers, but my question is will I get the same benifits going to brushless in 10th scale? I've seen a few brushless 10th scales, but they were all novak systems and all appeared grossly overpowered. I really don't want to have to get all set up (again) to cut comms and do brushes, but I don't want something that is out of control and always breaking my car either. If anyone has any experience actually racing a 10th scale offroad buggy/truck with a brushless rig I would greatly appreciate your thoughts, opinions, or whatever you might have to say about racing 10th scale 2wd with brushless power.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:29 PM   #27
Tech Regular

I have run the Novak SS5800, and SS4300. Both are fine. The 5800 felt like a 12 turn motor and the 4300 felt sort of in between 19 turn and stock. The new 13.5 should be really close to stock power.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:33 PM   #28
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info. I just read a test on the XXX CR and they used a novak brushless rig in it for power. They said the ESC was too tall to go under the shell but otherwise had good things to say about the system.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

MF1 will do you proud, basically what my XXXT is now.

I run the LRP brushless seteup with the 3 star motor (6.5 turn b/less). Yes - it's extremely overpowered, but this can be countered easily with throttle control. And when the grip is there... and the line is good... and you hook the tyres up at full throttle... it makes 1:8th nitro look like snails pace.

If you're looking for setup tips, there's many different setup sheets on the Losi website. Find one which is run on a similar track to yours and see if there's any good tips.
Bit_Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote