Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Buggy 1/8th Nitro Racing ... in rain weather ... >

Buggy 1/8th Nitro Racing ... in rain weather ...

Buggy 1/8th Nitro Racing ... in rain weather ...

Old 09-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Buggy 1/8th Nitro Racing ... in rain weather ...

Guys,

I have a national level event by October 13th to 15th in Mexico (im not Mexican), and some people from the city that will organice the event says that is about 70% chances of having rain during the event ...

So ... i started to race offroad just this year (march) and this maybe will be my first time of rain racing ... when i used to race onroad the only special treatment was a balloon on the receiver, airfilter cover and rain tires ... but in offroad i dont know ...

I was thinking on shoe-goo on the battery box in order to deal all (including antenna hole and wires hole) but i dont know if i have to do something else ...

thanks for any help on this department ...

cya !

Old 09-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Water is water be it on-road or off-road.

The same steps you took for on road will work just as well for off-road. The biggest difference will be that the off roader will get heavier as the mud builds up on it and the wheels will get lots of mud packed in there too.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Pato,

I remember reading in RC Car Action a while ago some things to do. First thing they recommended was to either velcro or duct-tape the body to the rock gaurds/chassis to seal it off from mud coming in. Another neat idea was to apply duct tape to the lower a arms so the mud won't collect in the spacing on them.

-Seann
Old 09-18-2006, 01:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Buy or make yourself some mud scrappers on the rear wheels as they can easily get stuck with mud.
And concern the engine tuning, because the weight changes.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:05 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The duct tape idea sounds good. Sealing off electronics is definately a good idea. You could also do what I used to do when I raced MX, spray your car w/ WD-40 (everywere except the tires), this will help keep the mud from sticking. Put balloons over the shocks (cuz mud and those little seals don't mix very well). Another idea that might work good (our could be a compete disaster) is to put that chassis tape from associated (or contact paper would work if you can't find any) on parts of your car that are collecting mud and put little pull tabs on them, so that when you pull into the pits your pit guy can give you a splash of fuel and pull off some tape and have your prize fighter back to fighting weight. Definately make sure to run a clean, freshly oiled filter each run (and maybe even one of those pre-filters). I don't know what kind of dirt they are gonna have but you might wanna pick up a set of Proline Badlands. They have a really open tread pattern, and should hook up really well in the mud, and they shouldn't load up and get out of balence, hell maybe get a set of paddles just incase its reeaaaaalllllyyyy muddy. Also do all the regular stuff you do for a big race, and good luck. Let us know how it goes and what tips and tricks you learned while you were down there. Man this sounds like it would be soooooooo much fun.

P.S. Show them how the old Red, White, and Blue does it.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
P.S. Show them how the old Red, White, and Blue does it.
Well yes ... my flag its Red/white and Blue, im Chilean

cya !

Old 09-18-2006, 07:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Make sure to pack your wheel bearings with a good lightweight grease if you are in the practice of oiling. This will help to keep the mud out of them longer. If you make one of the longer mains be prepared to change the bearings in your hubs and possibly the diff outdrive positions. I guarantee if it is rainy there will be a couple of DNF's due to bearing failures.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Guys just received some pics from guys on COSTA RICA, they said that they have a heavy rain country so they are used to race in rain, im waiting for comments from them, here are the pics (a little extreme for me man !!) ... :

Old 09-18-2006, 08:28 AM
Tech Addict

Wow. That looks like a brutal environment for r/c.

Check out the marshall. You can tell he fell down in it.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Soak your whole car down (including tires) with WD-40... And try and seal your car off as best as possible...
Old 09-18-2006, 10:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would never run my baby in that! unless i had all week to do a complete rebuild. it would rust everything on the car...
Old 03-05-2007, 05:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I'd rather loose the points than put my rig in that pothole of a track. With all that rain you'd think one of them would have the sense to put up tarps or something to keep the rain off. How a rig survives 60 minutes of a mud derby in that muck is beyond me. Save the trip and hit a local track.