R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-19-2006, 08:29 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW
Kendell, actaully the first moulded carbon tub (that i'm aware of) in a std kit was the Tenth Technology (when they used the full name!) Predator in about 1994.

Fibrelite in the UK also produced moulded tubs for the Cat 2000 and RC10 Worlds (possibly more, can't remember) at around the same time.
I guess I should have known they put the molded carbon chassis in the old predator, look at my signature at the bottom... Then again, that car came out when I was like 5 years old, so I have an excuse!
Kendall Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:43 PM   #47
Tech Regular

Quote:
Since i've been racing for 22+ years, sponsored by TeamLosi, Orion, Redline, Xray, Traxxas, JConcepts, Maxys Fuel, JR Hobbies, Horizon, Corally, Tekin, Team XS batteries, Fusion, P-Dub, Magnum Modifieds and many more companies.
thats a lot of sponsors i am sure you sell alot of product for them telling everyone they need this and that to be competitive but hey thats what they sponsor you for right.

second why do you need to pat yourself on the back to agree with me. i mean come on what does the fact that your sponsored have anything do with this conversation in fact in my opinion it hurts your credibility because you are not paying full price like a privateer.

this is the third time i will repeat myself hope you read it this time, i have never said 1/8 is cheaper than 1/10, what i did say is that it is not much more for what you get. Its sounds like from your racing experience your not afraid to drop a dime and spend all the money you have to feel like your serious and competitive.

Quote:
Electric 4wd or 2wd is FAR less money to race. I can't wait until the brushless and Lipos are sorted out better, then it will be 30 minute mains and bump ups for electric too! (One battery pack, one motor, almost no maintenance!) Of course the longer races will make it more expensive, since wear and tear cost money for any class!
if bump ups ever happen talk about the cost of electric skyrocketing. 30min mains and bump ups you will need a new set of tires for every main you might bump up, then i am sure they will have to go to quick change hubs just like the 1/10 gas trucks so then you will need 2 or 3 sets of tires for 1 main. wasn't there a race recently where adam drake went thru 6 sets of tires on his gas truck in one main. be careful what you wish for.

so jim i am done this is my last comment i have written down lots of examples of proof to prove my argument and i am sure i will read your response but from now on i will only focus on the topic. as i have said before i always liked electric and hope it stays around, this news about kinwald is very good for the class. Maybe if they only allowed 1 car per class it would help electric by shortening events and keeping the pros out of the stock class.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:27 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The GT2 quick change rear hubs will bolt on the T4 so you will be seeing alot of quick change electrics pretty quick. That is new and interesting as the topic says. You know losi will go that way soon after as well.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:35 PM   #49
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty
Its a shame to leave Losi, they make ace cars and have given me superb support and advise, but a chance to run and develop this prototype idea does not come along that often.

(Trying to steer this thread back to the topic of electric racing and not some "everybody should race nitro/electric because I like it best" pissing contest..)

Are you still going to run the Losi buggy for 2wd, Chris? I thought I saw where Atomic also had a prototype mid-motor 2wd on Jimmy's site a while back. Any news on that?
Serzoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #50
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This area does bump ups in electric, both on and off road.....
Old 09-20-2006, 05:03 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AndyMoore

Jim,

I dont think there is anything for you to say that will prove "our" point to him. Maybe one day when he gets serious about racing, it will become clearer to him.
AndyMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:40 PM   #52
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Rocket42, I like this back and forth thing, it is excellent intraweb entertainment!

I am not sure about your post;
"lacking credibility because I don't pay full price like a privateer"

Or, if i'm "not afraid to drop a dime and spend all the money I have to feel like i'm serious and competitive".

As far as "telling everyone they need this or that", your wrong. I won't even explain how, too much typing.

I thought the info I left would help you to know I wasn't a youngster with a yellow RTR and that I had a "little" experience. Good theory anyway.

No need for this to go any further, since the IntraWeb is strictly for entertainment as has been proven on this thread!

Enjoy the Web and good luck in your R/C racing!
, Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:46 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Andy, >sigh<, tell me about it.

Manning, do they allow time to cool motors off, or do most racers run less aggressive winds?

We have been thinking about putting together a race like that someday....Someday. Ha

I think with the current batteries and LRP brushless 2 star, etc a 15 minute main is possible, along with longer qualifiers and bump ups alternating the mains between classes. 2w, truck, 4w, 2w, truck, 4w, etc.

hmmmmmm, Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
Old 09-21-2006, 05:10 PM   #54
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
Manning, do they allow time to cool motors off, or do most racers run less aggressive winds?
They allow time for cooling. There is at least one race between the "bump from" and the "bump to" mains. It is announced during the driver's meeting if bump ups are going to happen to let everybody prepare. Bumping up is the only way I was able to get in to the "A" at one track.....
Old 09-21-2006, 07:10 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Awesome, I think that would help electrics alot. People are attracted to the thought of being able to make up for bad qualifying and still get to the covented A main!

...Jim
"Nothing but the best!"