R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-16-2006, 10:42 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I too am partial to electric. Nitro....slow, noisy, filthy. I do race both though. Since our local indoor track closed, all my local racing friends have made the switch to nitro, so I run nitro, GT and 1/8th Buggy, because that's what my friends now want to run. Bleck! We had a regional trophy race today, and I was running mod truck, on pace to have a whole lap more than any of the gas classes, before I dorked it. When my GT race came up, I thought, "Man, if I can get that many laps with my mod truck, it should be no thang to get it in GT." But nope. As I watched class after class run, even the expert buggy class could only muster the same number of laps in 5 minutes of running. I do understand the appeal that nitro can have for people...I like the smell of nitro burning, and I can see how some people can be drawn to the noise, smoke, fuel residue everywhere, but not me. I have ran nitro cars for two years now, and just me personally, I have had to spend more time wrenching on both the nito cars that I EVER have ANY of my electrics. Plus having to deal with flame outs and other engine trouble with the two needles and all.... I started the nitro scene with boats, and it was great, one needle. Is it too rich or too lean? Adjust. Cars... hmmm....it's acting this way so I'll try to do this, to this needle first....nope, try again. Nope. Keep trying. Nope. Arrgg! What really got me was when I went back to race 2WD Mod on a high bite track after racing gas for a while...WHOA! This thing is FAST! I nearly forgot how fast! Man you gotta be on it to put together 5 or 6 minutes with a mod electric. Cool! Then of course the cost of competitive 1/8th scale racing wasn't exactly friendly to my wallet. Ouch. Anyway...sorry for the rant, but this has been on my mind lately, and when I saw the thread, I felt the need to post.

I hope that the innovations that X-Factory and BK will bring will help to really revive electric racing all over. I like doing things a little different and trying different ideas. I don't know if the new car would suit my driving style, but if so, I'll check one out and give it a shot.
Aaron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:08 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to clintscreations Send a message via Yahoo to clintscreations

Aaron....it was kinda hot today maybe you should have leaned your elec truck out a couple of hours..............LMAO

i can have my elec truck make all kinds of loud noises.......just smash the spur ............there you go loud and no smelly mess
kcrc - shawnee, ks
clintscreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:54 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintscreations
i can have my elec truck make all kinds of loud noises.......just smash the spur ............there you go loud and no smelly mess
LMAO!!!!
Old 09-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

"Nitro, smoke, sound of the motor, dirt..... cant be beat"

LOL

DNF's, Noise, closed tracks due to noise(4 in Florida alone in 20 months), Yelling, hacking, brutal no talent driving.

I race both, but in the Florida state series the electric cars are almost always faster on the same track the following day.

I used to love the excuse that R/C was losing ground due to the expense. The gas guys proved money is no object if you might have a chance to win!

At our last race there was at least 40 trailers, most with A/C, 5500+ watt Generators in every pit, most guys have two cars ready to go, back up engines, etc. Racing multiple classes, etc.
Crazy for a toy car race.

I can't figure out why there is almost NO young kids racing in the gas classes? Where will that leave the class in a few years?

Electric will never die, it has slowed, but with Brushless and Lipo, etc., soon it will be back again, stronger then ever!

, Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:25 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AndyMoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
"Nitro, smoke, sound of the motor, dirt..... cant be beat"

LOL

DNF's, Noise, closed tracks due to noise(4 in Florida alone in 20 months), Yelling, hacking, brutal no talent driving.

I race both, but in the Florida state series the electric cars are almost always faster on the same track the following day.

I used to love the excuse that R/C was losing ground due to the expense. The gas guys proved money is no object if you might have a chance to win!

At our last race there was at least 40 trailers, most with A/C, 5500+ watt Generators in every pit, most guys have two cars ready to go, back up engines, etc. Racing multiple classes, etc.
Crazy for a toy car race.

I can't figure out why there is almost NO young kids racing in the gas classes? Where will that leave the class in a few years?

Electric will never die, it has slowed, but with Brushless and Lipo, etc., soon it will be back again, stronger then ever!

, Jim
Electric for life. As far as the lavish expense account of most gas racers, its obsurd. The setups would be nice to have, but are completely unnecessary, and the extra equipment certainly raises the "stakes" of a simple state event. The majority of arguemnts on the drivers stand now start "I cant believe you just did [insert action here] do you know how much money Ive put into this?!?"

It definately spreads the wrong idea to most newer racers about the actual cost and it creates confilcts within the community because of the money ignorant people pour into racing. Im not saying that gas racing is the root of all rc evil, but the newest generation of racers (gas) dont understand "fun" when its not associated with winning or making the main.

The majority of the electric racers left in Florida have been around for quite a while and are mostly jovial, which cultivates the atmosphere which keeps me racing. Its fun as well as relaxing attending the Fl State Series Sunday events, which CAN NOT be said for the bulk of gas events anywhere.

/Rant
AndyMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:05 AM   #21
Tech Regular

when i lived in florida i raced only electric and there was plenty ofr/c trailers back then in electric.

where is this additional cost of nitro racing that you speak of, i have been racing my hyper 8 for over 6 months and i haven't broken a part. i have gone thru 2 sets of tires total in six months and thats only because a race in oregon decided to run dry. My engine should be good for 2 years with a little maintenance and my only cost is nitro fuel. oh by the way i haven't rebuilt my shocks since june and i pulled them apart and the oil was still clear. that was with easily over 1 hour in main events alone.

i remember my days racing electric, buy a set of tires and there good for that club race then the next week you can only use them for practice. going to a large event and buying endless sets of tires because they only last 5min. in a bluegroove. having the technology to run your cars for 15min but only allowed to race for 5. snapping arms, shock towers and countless parts in crashes that really didn't look that bad.

now come on guys i like electric racing but you are taking it way too far crying about nitro. yes we all know electric is faster, less maintenance, but who cares. nothing gets your blood going like 12-14 buggies doing down and quit at the start of a 30min. nitro main.

oh by the way that new predator buggy is $600 thats more than a 1/8 scale. not to mention bj4 is right up there with a nitro 1/8 kit.

did i mention bump ups.

and whats wrong with raising the stakes isn't that what its gonna take to get non hobby sponsors on board.

so lets end this electric is way better stuff and talk about the real issues of this thread and who do you think will win the worlds this year.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:47 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AndyMoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket42
when i lived in florida i raced only electric and there was plenty ofr/c trailers back then in electric.
Show up currently on an electric day and there will only be a handfull of trailers, as opposed to literally 40 or more on a nitro day.
where is this additional cost of nitro racing that you speak of, i have been racing my hyper 8 for over 6 months and i haven't broken a part. i have gone thru 2 sets of tires total in six months and thats only because a race in oregon decided to run dry. My engine should be good for 2 years with a little maintenance and my only cost is nitro fuel. oh by the way i haven't rebuilt my shocks since june and i pulled them apart and the oil was still clear. that was with easily over 1 hour in main events alone.
Parts breakage conincides with wrecking. Tires are a legit expense, depending on what surface you race on. As far as your motor lasting two years, you either rarely race or youre misinformed. Brushless should be in that lifespan, if not longer. Losi shocks.
i remember my days racing electric, buy a set of tires and there good for that club race then the next week you can only use them for practice. going to a large event and buying endless sets of tires because they only last 5min. in a bluegroove. having the technology to run your cars for 15min but only allowed to race for 5. snapping arms, shock towers and countless parts in crashes that really didn't look that bad.
At a large nitro event, many sets of tires are used. As far as 5 minutes, ALL qualifiers are still 5 min, which I believe is a ROAR rule. Dont crash.
now come on guys i like electric racing but you are taking it way too far crying about nitro. yes we all know electric is faster, less maintenance, but who cares. nothing gets your blood going like 12-14 buggies doing down and quit at the start of a 30min. nitro main.
Nothing gets my blood "going" (boiling) like 14 immature 40 year olds who have little driving skill crashing into one another to begin a 30 minute main.
oh by the way that new predator buggy is $600 thats more than a 1/8 scale. not to mention bj4 is right up there with a nitro 1/8 kit.
As far as Kit cost, look up a XXX CR. The 777 special, the xray, the mbx5 prospec, the ttr eb4 s3 are all 500+, which is more expensive than 95% of electric kits.
did i mention bump ups.

and whats wrong with raising the stakes isn't that what its gonna take to get non hobby sponsors on board.

so lets end this electric is way better stuff and talk about the real issues of this thread and who do you think will win the worlds this year.

My responses are in bold. I know they seem like Im stereotyping gas racers, Im not. Some of the best guys Ive met have been strictly gas racers, but that groups also contains more "idiots" than Ive encoutnered in any other form of rc.
AndyMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:50 AM   #23
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Somerwil Send a message via Yahoo to Somerwil

I think there's space for both nitro and electric. They both have pros and cons. It's just whatever you like most. Both classes are great and cost a lot of money to do it on regional/ national level...

The main thing with nitro here in Holland is that some tracks where built years ago, by then somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Nowadays cities are growing extremely quick and the new neighbourhoods are built around the older gas tracks, with citizens complaining about the noise on race-days. Because of these complaints, some tracks are having difficulties to organise a nitro race, whereas that will never be an issue with electric racing.

Back to the topic:
I hope electric off-road will get more popular. I don't think that will be because of either brushless or LiPo. Most people don't start with a brushless/ Lipo/ 4200 SHV/ Spintec ICC charger/ etcetera. At least, that's not how it works here...
I think the sport will only grow by reducing the costs to start the hobby. A good way to do that is the RTR packages. They are great and for most people a good starting point. It's a pity there are only a few RTR packages out there. Most of them are filled with entry level electronics (with all respect BTW). Perhaps it helps when there would be a nice priced competition level RTR at let's say 350-400 Dollar or so... Including a no-motorlimit ESC, V2-style motor (12 turns or so), GP3700 battery, 0,10 sec servo?

After people starting the hobby with a RTR, it's the job of the clubs to promote themselves and invite these people to start racing on a track. After that they may get enthausiastic and consider racing on a higher, regional or national level.

Gr,
Mike
Somerwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:00 AM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

"Nothing gets my blood "going" (boiling) like 14 immature 40 year olds who have little driving skill crashing into one another to begin a 30 minute main."
Quote by Andy Moore.

Immature??? If we change it to 25 year olds with skill does that make them mature. No one owns RC industry. You can race what you want. no matter what your skill or your age. Are these 14 immature 40 year olds having fun. I would say yes. And thats what counts.

Hobby: an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation.

I like nitro and electric. Onroad and offroad. Both are different types of Fun.
Nitro for the 30-45 min mains with pitstops.

Electric for the speed & simplicity.
PhatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:22 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

First off, I like nitro and electric....

It sounds like you guys are saying to keep things simple run electric.....no mess .....less wrenching......no noise......no engine tuning....on and on.

I'm in this hobby for the challenge, I wanna wrench and tune and so on....I don't want things to be that simple or I would race slot cars

And as for talking about the talent (or the lack there of) of nitro racers... There will always be idiots...there will be guys with more talent than others, no matter what class you race or the type of racing your in.

If you are concerned with "the guys with no talent" or "hacks" you may not be that fast yourself...... If you are you should easily find your way around these guys...especialy the ones "over shooting the corners"

Just my thoughts!
SCUBA STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:10 AM   #26
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nitro Electric it is a preference thing. I like electric for my reasons. They both can put down more power than you can get on the track. They both can have extended runtimes with the right techs. Biggest difference is 2wd and 4wd. Elec is more 2wd nitro more 4wd. They both have a class that is the opposite but tend to run that way. To be fast each driving style takes skill and they are different.

Hacks - Well any class that is growing will have them. If you are new I bet you are a hack to someone. Personally I laugh at the accidents and you can hear me on the stand. For every 1 race I get pounded I have 5 with no issues.

I would run novice from now to the end of my racing if I could keep it filled with new people. If 1 out of 20 stay long term that is great.
nichocgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:20 AM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Nitro just dosen't support a novice or spec class. Thats my main beef with nitro. There just isn't a class that slow enough for beginners to devolp skill with other beginners. Long nitro mains that require a pit person also make it difficult for somebody to start out in nitro.

Otherwise, things i personaly don't like about nitro:

The fumes.
The noise.
corner marshalling long mains.
same entry fee, but faster drivers get longer mains, thats a little unfair.
need a second person to pit for longer races.
messy.
takes more batteries than an electric car does to operate. <---wtf is up with that!?
Old 09-18-2006, 12:20 PM   #28
Tech Regular

can we please get back on topic.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:17 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Just thought I would post this pic of the new "atomic carbon S4" that chris doughty has just signed up to race. Chris is a 14 year factory losi driver and former european champion.
I just really like that carbon tub chassis, very cool. There are a lot of very nice cars out / coming out in the off road 10th class, never a bad thing.

http://www.doughtyuk.net/
http://www.atomic-carbon.co.uk
Old 09-18-2006, 03:03 PM   #30
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

wow, that doesn't look anything like a J-Concepts buggy
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote