R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Engine temp too low (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/128851-engine-temp-too-low.html)

Taurius 09-10-2006 09:21 AM

Engine temp too low

Hello,

I have a little problem and want to ask for help.
I have a RB C5 BB engine/PCR 2027 pipe/16% Tornado fuel/6#RB plug on a XB8 buggy.
The weather is rather cold, about 60F. The engine has good power, i get about 9minutes of run time per tank, smoke on throthle and so on.
But the engine temp stays arround 190F, when the tank is empty it rises to about 220F. I use the spektrum telemetry temp gouge and compared with a handheld temp meter, the meter shows even colder temps.
The track is rather wet and i think it cools down the engine a bit.
The question is, should i do anything about the low temps ? Maybe cover the engine with some sort of a material ? I'm a bit afraid of leaning it, as the fuel mileage is good and it dies only if i ran out of fuel.
Any suggestions ?
Thank you

Ti-isfly 09-10-2006 09:28 AM

well, 9 mins isnt much.. how big is your tank? you could lean it up a bit. if there is ALOT of blue/white smoke then lean it a bit, that will warm the engine temp up or if its that bad, then use some tin-foil and wrap it aournd the cooling head, like a blanket. that should warm it up too.

Taurius 09-10-2006 09:37 AM

Thank you for help.
The tank is stock 120ccm+fuel line and fuel filter.
The engine is with the stock 8mm venturi.
There is some smoke when accelerating, but i wouldn't call it a lot, nobody get's lost in the smoke :)
9:10 to be exact, but there was some mud on the car and it wieghts more than normal, so i would get a little bit more on a dry track.
Should i lean the HSN or the LSN ?

SlobbaTech 09-10-2006 09:45 AM

Getting 9 minutes of runtime form an 1/8 car is average to pretty darn good. Most racers pit between 6-7.5 minutes in races. I'm not famaliar with the Spektrum temp sensor type but the ones in the past from other manufacturers that you wedged a sensor between the engine heatsink fins never were as accurate as an infared gun. If the smoke is good, engine sounds/feels/drives great then you're good, don't stress over engine too much otherwise striving for a pre-determined number can hurt your engine in the long run.

jbrow1 09-10-2006 10:20 AM

You like how it runs, it has good performance, doesn't flame out, has good fuel mileage.

I'd say keep the temp guns and sensors in your pit box and leave it alone.

Either that keep the sensor right where it is always and use that 190 as a base setting for future referance. Ever notice how if you take temps from different places it can vary by say 50* or more? Just leave it there and know it runs good at 190.

Ti-isfly 09-10-2006 10:24 AM

i didnt know it was a 1/8 i thought it was a 1/10 vehicle. :blush: sorry guy.

mugenb46 09-10-2006 10:27 AM

good smoke good power good tune, run the motor by feel not so much temp, you can get a baseline from temp that way you know how much you can fatten or lean it, as far as putting aluminum foil around the head, thats good for breakin in my opinoin, if you are breking a motor in in cold waether an athletic wristband with foil will help keep the motor from getting to cold will help keep it around 200 or abouve which is what u want. this keeps you from killing the tapper in the sleeve during breakin. hard running with foil on the head will launch your temp from 200 to 310 in a heartbeat, even with smoke from hell comming out i've had the same cold running issue. its simple just run it by feel. an hour or two in the top will most likley take care of the temp issue. :sneaky:

gmcman 09-10-2006 10:58 AM

I have the earlier version the C4 and mine would run cool sometimes, don't worry about it. These motors have monster heatsinks and they do an incredible job of extracting the exhaust from the case and cylinder...taking away the oil which carries alot of heat with it. That's why I love these motors so much, very well engineered and TONS of power with barely any adjustments needed from the carb.

SlobbaTech 09-10-2006 07:36 PM

Also if your tempgun is dirty it can read cooler by a good amount.