R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-10-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default ok what exactly do all of the functions on a GTX do?

ok i kno what each of them feel like they do but what exactly is dead-band and what exacly is drive frequency? if a motors running hot what can i do on the ESC end to help it run cooler? if you could direct me to a site with info on all of the settings of high-end speedos i would greatly apreciate it. or if you dont mind explaining it that would be great as well.

Matt
mat3833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:03 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Novak's ESC terminology:
http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/e...min/index.html

Main link:
http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/index.html

You don't normally use an ESC to control heat to your motor. Reduce friction in the motor by skimming the comm, replacing the brushes, and cleaning and oiling the bushings or bearings.

If it's not friction related then you are probably overgeared. Go to a higher gear ratio by going down a pinion size or two to reduce heat. You can also cause heat by drastically undergearing a motor. Too high of a gear ratio will make the motor run full out more often if you don't baby the throttle.
Rysuleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:54 AM   #3
Tech Addict

thanks, im not worried about motor heat i was just using it as an example. i heard that changing some peramiter would make stock motors run cooler and mod motors hotter or somepthing.

Matt
Old 09-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
Tech Addict

As far as my understanding goes this is what some of the parameters do:
First, remember that an esc works by pulsing the power of the battery at different frequencies to make 7.2 volts seem like 3 volts or 4.5 volts or another number below 7.2. These lower voltages in turn make the motor run faster or slower. For instance if the esc give full power half of the time and no power the other half of the time you will end up with 3.6 volts to the motor. If the power is applied a greater percentage of the time, it gives you a higher voltage, for instance power is on 75% of the time and off 25% of the time. In order to turn the power on and off and make it seem like a lower voltage, it must be done incredibly fast so that the car is not jerking around. So the higher the frequency, the smoother the power feels, i.e. less punchy, more linear when you hit the throttle. This high frequency means that power is on and off for only tiny fractions of a second, but still maintaing the percentage of time that the power is on or off. When you lower the drive frequency, this makes the power stay on and off for longer periods of time, obviously not so long that it jerks around, but long enough that it gives a punchy feel and the car accelerates faster. Brake frequency works in much the same way. However, instead of applying power to the motor, the motor is shorted to make it stop. To be honest with you, I dont know how a motor is shorted, so I wont go into that.

The rest of the settings are much simpler:
Minimum drive is the percentage of the throttle or the battery's power that the ESC puts out when you hit the trigger the tinyest bit. A higher minimum drive setting will give you the feeling of more punch, because instead of the esc first going to 3% for instance and then to 7% as you pull the trigger to that point, it will go straight to 7%. By going directly to 7% the motor will be able to accelerate to the speed that 7% power gives it faster than if you were to start at 3% and move up, as your finger moving the trigger takes time. If you just nailed the trigger, it would probably do nearly the same thing, but most of us are accustomed to pulling it a certain way, and it is easier to tune your equipment than to adjust your hand movements.

Deadband is the amount of movement that the trigger has between throttle and brake which does nothing. I use the minimum, but I guess it could help people have more control over where the car starts moving.

Initial brake is the same thing as minimum drive, but for braking. Its the percentage of brakes applied at the first point where the brakes are engaged.

I think that covers all of them.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
Tech Addict

And as for motor heat, I believe that running a higher drive frequency will help a motor to run cooler.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
Tech Addict

wow! thanks, that was realy helpful. ill be running a 15t motor for awhile on a prety grippy track. should i run the most agressive profile?

Matt
Old 09-13-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
Tech Addict

I'd experiment, even if you have the traction for running an aggressive profile, you may not like the feel of it. BTW, I never use the preset profiles, I always keep mine on profile 7 (the custom profile) so that I can adjust all the settings to my preferences. The only use that I can see for the preset profiles is if you want to get on the track and have no idea where to start.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:04 PM   #8
Tech Addict

thats what i did with my GT7 how much of a diference is it going from the GT7 to the GTX??

Matt
Old 09-14-2006, 04:33 PM   #9
Tech Addict

I never had a GT7, so I couldnt tell you. When I go out with a new ESC/motor, I just use the custom profile and set everything conservatively. So, I'd run the lowest minimum brake setting, the highest brake frequency, the lowest minimum drive setting, and a drive frequency in the middle of the range. Then just make changes through out a practice run until you get everything how you like it.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:37 PM   #10
Tech Addict

i like a semi-aggressive feel on 2wd and an aggressive feel on my 4WD. thanks for the help.

Matt